Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Have you found an alternative meaning for "shall not be infringed" yet?
I'm not the one begging for acceptance of different meanings to words. Romnesia doesn't elude you, it remains your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:54 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Are you saying that citizens don't have a right to protect their homes from intruders?

This man's granddaughter was not an intruder. She lived there. He was quick on the trigger and shot before he saw his target.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
He could not identify his target and now he will pay the price both with his freedom if he is convicted of manslaughter and definitely with his emotions for the rest of his life. Back to one of my earlier comments, with rights comes responsibilities.
The 16 year old granddaughter is the one who is paying the price!!! She was shot in the neck and is looking at a lifetime of quadriplegia!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Better to error on the side of safety. I would rather have a sane person denied a gun purchase than allowing an unstable person to purchase automatic rifles and unlimited ammunition.
Can I take away your first amendment rights? Because based on your posts you seem like a narcissistic, self absorbed a** clown.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
1) Abolish Gun shows. Unlicensed dealers can sell guns there without any background checks and 40% guns are bought and sold through this loophole.

2) Strict protocols for licensed dealers.

3) Any buyer must first take and pass a safety class, a psychological screening test, and have no previous misdemeanors or felonies.

4) One month waiting period before purchasing gun.

5) Ammunition cannot be purchased online. A registry is kept also for Ammunition purchase with a limit set on amount per period of time.

6) Finally, a 100% tax on guns and ammunition to pay for extra police, safety measures in schools/public places (bullet proof doors, windows, surveillance cameras, etc.), medical expenses of future victims, and any other cost that results from a shooting or to prevent a deadly shooting.

I will be submitting these suggestions to my congressman and senators.
Uh, NO!

I have a better idea, how about we do the following

what would be a better solution..

■Repeal the Brady Bill and do away with the NICS system entirely. It was supposed to keep felons from getting firearms but has failed miserably. The solution isn’t to “tweak†the cumbersome and expensive background check process. The answer is to get rid of it entirely.

■Repeal the Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act limiting ownership of full-auto weapons to those made prior to 1986.

■Eliminate the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968.

■Any pilot or aircraft crew member who is an honorably discharged veteran or possesses a permit to carry
from any state will be authorized to carry a firearm while in the air in any manner they deem fit.

■Any schoolteacher, school employee or school volunteer who is an honorably discharged veteran or possesses a permit to carry from any state is authorized to carry a firearm in any school in any manner they deem fit. Any school district which is found in violation of this law shall forfeit all federal funds for a period of 6 months (for a first offense) and not less than 1 year for subsequent offenses.

■Repeal the Gun Free School Zone Act of 1990.

■Congress shall deem that Article IV Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution (commonly known as the full faith and credit clause) applies to state-issued permits to carry. Any state which fails to honor the permits of any other state shall forfeit all federal funds for a period of 6 months (for a first offense) and not less than 1 year for subsequent offenses.

■In accordance with Coffin v. United States a person who is attacked in a place s/he has a right to be and who is not engaged in unlawful activity will have no duty to retreat and will have the right to meet force with force, including deadly force if s/he reasonably believes it is necessary in order to prevent death or great bodily harm to him/herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony and shall be presumed to have acted in self-defense until proven otherwise. Law enforcement may not arrest an individual for using deadly force unless they have probable cause to believe that the use of force was unlawful.

■The definition of “sporting purposes†shall include all types of sport and competitive shooting and all “military style†and semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and handguns are hereby deemed suitable for sport shooting.

■Any firearm or firearm accessory made by a private individual for their personal use will be beyond the authority of Congress under its constitutional power to regulate commerce among the states.

■“High capacity†magazines will be defined as any ammunition feeding device designed to hold more than 150 rounds.

■“Armor piercing†bullets will be defined as any round which, when fired from a pistol with a barrel of no more than 4 inches (not including recoil or sound suppressor) can pierce 1 inch of HY-100 steel (or its equivalent) at 200 yards.

■Any business will have the right to exclude weapons from their premises and by doing so they accept strict liability for protecting their employees, customers and visitors.

■Constitutional carry for all citizens.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
The only solution to allow the 1st Amendment.

1) Abolish Uncredentialed Web Sites. Only credentialed media should have the power of the press.

2) Strict protocols for credentialed media.

3) Anyone reading a newspaper must first take and pass a safety class, a psychological screening test, and have no previous misdemeanors or felonies.

4) One month waiting period before purchasing a newspaper.

5) Pens, pencils, typewriters, computers, paper and printers cannot be purchased online. A registry is kept for purchase with a limit set on amount per period of time.

6) Finally, a 100% tax on pens, pencils, typewriters, computers, paper and printersto pay for extra thought police, safety measures in schools/public places (firewalls, web censoring, incinerators, surveillance cameras, etc.), my feelings are hurt of future victims, and any other cost that results from speaking your mind.

I will NOT be submitting these suggestions to my congressman and senators.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:15 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
And being law abiding citizens they need to obtain thousands of rounds of ammo over the internet.

What business is that of yours or anyone else s? Has this person used the ammunition in an inappropriate manner? Why do you have so many cars? Why do you have so many dinner plates?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
1) Abolish Gun shows. Unlicensed dealers can sell guns there without any background checks and 40% guns are bought and sold through this loophole.
no. but what you can do is require a background check for everyone entering the gun show. that way any guns bought and sold are then done properly eliminating the "loophole".

Quote:
you mean more restrictions on gun dealers? sorry they have enough already. how about instead we enforce those restrictions?

Quote:
3) Any buyer must first take and pass a safety class, a psychological screening test, and have no previous misdemeanors or felonies.
ok so who does, and pays for, the psych screening? and what happens when you have an avowed anti gunner doing the psych screenings? in the end to answer to all of this is, no. background checks are fine, in fact i think they should be done when transferring ownership of any firearm. the rest is rubbish.

Quote:
no instant background checks do just fine

Quote:
5) Ammunition cannot be purchased online. A registry is kept also for Ammunition purchase with a limit set on amount per period of time.
no. absolutely not.

Quote:
6) Finally, a 100% tax on guns and ammunition to pay for extra police, safety measures in schools/public places (bullet proof doors, windows, surveillance cameras, etc.), medical expenses of future victims, and any other cost that results from a shooting or to prevent a deadly shooting.

such a tax would in fact be illegal. and any congressman that voted for such a tax and everything else you suggested, would likely be voted out of office.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:06 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:

So you don't like guns or gun owners. That's certainly your right.
Should we put a 100% tax on swimming pools? They certainly kill enough people every year.
Pools huge waste of water too.
How to you keep track of the bullets I make myself?
Psych screening. I am ok with that. Lets do it for people who own cars and buy cell phones too. In fact I think anyone woman who gets pregnant and can't afford the child should have to take a psych screening. I mean you have to be insane to let yourself get pregnant when you can't afford the child. Actually I don't think that. I just think it's crazy to expect law abiding people to accept being treated this way.
How about any shrink treating someone who is questionable submit their name to a data base that would prevent them from buying or owning a fire arm. Expand this to living in a house with someone who owns a firearm. That makes more sense then going after the masses.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
IIRC, the second amendment includes such restrictions that come with "regulations".

Shall not be infringed.... Pretty powerful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies