Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Urban Life.

What are your ideals? Your ideals seem to be to infringe upon other people's freedoms. Why do you feel the need to make other people, THROUGH LAW, follow your ideal of safety?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 AM

For those keeping track of the thread, public opinion has shifted. The first poll heavily favored support of seat belt laws. The new poll is currently dead even.

More people are waking up and seeing the law for what it really is. A money generator for states and local governments and a way for the police to cover their ass if they need a reason to stop somebody.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Urban Life.

What are your ideals? Your ideals seem to be to infringe upon other people's freedoms. Why do you feel the need to make other people, THROUGH LAW, follow your ideal of safety?
Driving a car is a privilege, if you don't like it there are other forms of transportation you can take. I hear they have a great rail system in Chicago. You are also free to move to New Hampshire or the list of states I provided you where the seat belt laws are secondary laws. You have the freedom to enjoy the number of those options.

Do you think people should be allowed to drink in public? Do you think people should do background checks before buying a gun? Do you think there should be traffic laws? By your own definition all of those things infringe on this idealistic freedom you think we have the right to.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Needed. Mandatory. and a fine should be assessed to everyone who doesn't wear it, at a $1000 a pop.

You don't want to wear seat belts? fine, you don't have to drive. Simple.

Driving is not a privilege.

So if you want to drive, and there are seat belt laws, then get with the program.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Needed. Mandatory. and a fine should be assessed to everyone who doesn't wear it, at a $1000 a pop.

You don't want to wear seat belts? fine, you don't have to drive. Simple.

Driving is not a privilege.

So if you want to drive, and there are seat belt laws, then get with the program.
Your an extremist.

I guess you plan on banning all practices with equal or greater risks as well. I'll start a list...

Smoking
Drinking
Riding a motorcycle
Many prescription meds

Last edited by Gtownoe; 12-30-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Driving a car is a privilege, if you don't like it there are other forms of transportation you can take. I hear they have a great rail system in Chicago. You are also free to move to New Hampshire or the list of states I provided you where the seat belt laws are secondary laws. You have the freedom to enjoy the number of those options.

Do you think people should be allowed to drink in public? Do you think people should do background checks before buying a gun? Do you think there should be traffic laws? By your own definition all of those things infringe on this idealistic freedom you think we have the right to.
You didn't answer my question. What are your ideals? Why do you hold the position that you do?

I'll start.

I believe in less government interference into our personal lives. I believe laws should mainly protect us from others, not from ourselves. I believe we should choose to influence society more through the use of education and information, than through criminalization.

Why do you feel the need to infringe upon my rights?? I'm sorry. You can say what you want, but I'm not a criminal because I don't wear a seat belt.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Your an extremist.

I guess you plan on banning all practices with equal or greater risks as well. I'll start a list...

Smoking
Drinking
Riding a motorcycle
Many prescription meds
Banning cars and banning driving is extreme, seat belt laws are not extreme. Having laws that prevent you from smoking in places or laws that prevent minors from smoking is much like a seat belt law. You really need to quit with this stupid extreme comparison.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Banning cars and banning driving is extreme, seat belt laws are not extreme. Having laws that prevent you from smoking in places or laws that prevent minors from smoking is much like a seat belt law. You really need to quit with this stupid extreme comparison.
You still haven't answered my question. What are your ideals?! Why is the seat belt law so important to you?

Smoking in public influences OTHERS. Minors smoking is used to protect individuals not old enough to make wise decisions.

Why do you feel so entitled to tell other ADULTS they HAVE to buckle up?

Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
You didn't answer my question. What are your ideals? Why do you hold the position that you do?

I'll start.

I believe in less government interference into our personal lives. I believe laws should mainly protect us from others, not from ourselves. I believe we should choose to influence society more through the use of education and information, than through criminalization.

Why do you feel the need to infringe upon my rights?? I'm sorry. You can say what you want, but I'm not a criminal because I don't wear a seat belt.
I believe in an efficient government, and I am for laws that are proven to increase safety within the public realm. When you drive on a public street, I expect you to obey public laws. You are welcome to drive standing on your steering wheel on private land, the government shouldn't tell you what you can and can't do on your own private property, but the moment you enter the public you should obey those laws.

You are breaking the law when you speed, I have sped before, but that doesn't make one a criminal for doing that. I do believe education is more important than throwing people in jail, but I also believe fines for breaking the law are a good way to remind people what they can and cannot do.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I believe in an efficient government, and I am for laws that are proven to increase safety within the public realm. When you drive on a public street, I expect you to obey public laws. You are welcome to drive standing on your steering wheel on private land, the government shouldn't tell you what you can and can't do on your own private property, but the moment you enter the public you should obey those laws.

How is ME not wearing a seat belt affecting the public?? Please explain how I'm affecting the public from a safety standpoint. Please do not bring up cost to society. That has been addressed previously.

You are breaking the law when you speed, I have sped before, but that doesn't make one a criminal for doing that. I do believe education is more important than throwing people in jail, but I also believe fines for breaking the law are a good way to remind people what they can and cannot do.
Again. Why do you feel the need to tell me what I can or can't do in MY own car that I paid for and paid taxes on? Me not wearing a seat belt is not affecting the safety of the PUBLIC. Only my PERSONAL safety.

You've failed to show how wearing seat belts increases public safety. It only improves personal safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies