Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But why is someone's personal safety the domain of the law?
It is simple and I recently gave a story that showed where a personal safety sometimes goes in hand with public safety.

We are both driving separate cars, you are not wearing your seat belt and I am wearing a seat belt. I accidentally miss a stop sign and hit your car. Because you are not wearing your seat belt you are thrown from the car, you survive but suffer sever damages. Now the accident is my fault, but it isn't my fault that you choose not to wear a seat belt while driving. Why must your lack of personal safety affect me just because I caused the accident yet was wearing my seat belt. I shouldn't have to pay for your added medical bills because of your carelessness with driving, had you worn your seat belt your damages would of been much less and you wouldn't of been thrown from the car.

That is how your personal safety can effect others when it comes to public safety.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
37/35

Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is simple and I recently gave a story that showed where a personal safety sometimes goes in hand with public safety.

We are both driving separate cars, you are not wearing your seat belt and I am wearing a seat belt. I accidentally miss a stop sign and hit your car. Because you are not wearing your seat belt you are thrown from the car, you survive but suffer sever damages. Now the accident is my fault, but it isn't my fault that you choose not to wear a seat belt while driving. Why must your lack of personal safety affect me just because I caused the accident yet was wearing my seat belt. I shouldn't have to pay for your added medical bills because of your carelessness with driving, had you worn your seat belt your damages would of been much less and you wouldn't of been thrown from the car.

That is how your personal safety can effect others when it comes to public safety.
Do you not see any flaws with your logic? Who committed the act that caused the accident? You, or the person you plowed through after you ran a stop sign?

Apparently its not that simple lol.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Do you not see any flaws with your logic? Who committed the act that caused the accident? You, or the person you plowed through after you ran a stop sign?
Yep, that is why it is called an accident, and if you were wearing your seat belt, the damages would of been less. Your lack of personal safety is affecting others when you drive. I am fine with making people sign a waiver that says they are responsible for the personal damages that could come from not wearing a seat belt. I have no problem with you taking responsibility for your own stupidity when driving. Running a stop sign is an accident, but choosing to not wear a seat belt is no accident.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Yep, that is why it is called an accident, and if you were wearing your seat belt, the damages would of been less. Your lack of personal safety is affecting others when you drive. I am fine with making people sign a waiver that says they are responsible for the personal damages that could come from not wearing a seat belt. I have no problem with you taking responsibility for your own stupidity when driving. Running a stop sign is an accident, but choosing to not wear a seat belt is no accident.
You've got it backwards. If you wouldn't have ran a stop sign there would be no accident. The accident is YOUR fault. It's not the other driver's fault his car got impaled.

If you want to make a case as far as damages are concerned, go ahead. It still doesn't logically support the point you were trying to make. Not wearing a seat belt is not a physical threat to others in public. It's a personal safety issue.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
You've got it backwards. If you wouldn't have ran a stop sign there would be no accident. The accident is YOUR fault. It's not the other driver's fault his car got impaled.

If you want to make a case as far as damages are concerned, go ahead. It still doesn't logically support the point you were trying to make.
Okay, good luck not wearing a seat belt, I am sure you are gonna show that guy when you fly out your windshield. If you had not ignored the risk, you would of suffered less damages.

You missed the point of my comment, the accident was an accident. Not wearing a seat belt was your fault, not the person who caused the accident. I can't choose who I get into an accident with, if I could I would pick a person wearing their seat belt over someone who isn't because the one not wearing a seat belt would cause much more damage.

And just for the record, I always wear my seat belt, I don't speed, I obey the traffic laws, and I have never been in an accident, some of us pride ourselves on safe driving which includes wearing a seat belt, I don't need a law to tell me only an idiot would drive around without a seat belt on, which the law only really goes after idiots and I am fine with that.

By the way, I am still waiting for facts to back up the claims you made in a recent post, I am guessing you are void of those facts too.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
If you want to make a case as far as damages are concerned, go ahead. It still doesn't logically support the point you were trying to make. Not wearing a seat belt is not a physical threat to others in public. It's a personal safety issue.
Then your lack of personal safety should be on you if you are involved in an accident. I don't care if you don't want to wear a seat belt, I just have no interest in paying for your lack of personal safety if we are involved in an accident. It isn't my fault you lack personal safety.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
37/35
I am sure he has noticed there isn't some big swing for his side.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Okay, good luck not wearing a seat belt, I am sure you are gonna show that guy when you fly out your windshield. If you had not ignored the risk, you would of suffered less damages.

How did you "accidentally" run a stop sign?? Were you distracted while driving? High? Drunk? If you had avoided putting others at risk there would be no accident. Maybe you don't need to be behind a wheel. If you plowed through someone at a 4 way stop your just being negligent.

You missed the point of my comment, the accident was an accident. Not wearing a seat belt was your fault, not the person who caused the accident. I can't choose who I get into an accident with, if I could I would pick a person wearing their seat belt over someone who isn't because the one not wearing a seat belt would cause much more damage.

No I got your point. And I addressed it. I said, that if in court, you wanted to make a claim that some of the expenses are the other driver's fault, then go ahead. You'd be justified in doing so.

And just for the record, I always wear my seat belt, I don't speed, I obey the traffic laws, and I have never been in an accident, some of us pride ourselves on safe driving which includes wearing a seat belt, I don't need a law to tell me only an idiot would drive around without a seat belt on, which the law only really goes after idiots and I am fine with that.

By the way, I am still waiting for facts to back up the claims you made in a recent post, I am guessing you are void of those facts too.
I've been in 4 accidents. Only one major one. The major one was when I wasn't driving. I wasn't wearing a seat belt and was sleep at the time. Neither was my sister. My sister claims she was saved or harmed less because she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I understand that seat belts decrease your risk of serious injury or death. That's not what this argument is about.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I've been in 4 accidents. Only one major one. The major one was when I wasn't driving. I wasn't wearing a seat belt and was sleep at the time. Neither was my sister. My sister claims she was saved or harmed less because she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I understand that seat belts decrease your risk of serious injury or death. That's not what this argument is about.
Well it is good she "claims" that but facts to match such "claims."

Good that you understand seat belts decrease your risk.

How did I miss the stop sign, it was poorly place or something and I just didn't see it. That happens, one doesn't need to be distracted or high or drunk.

Seems like an unnecessary court case, you were unwilling to wear a seat belt, therefore increased your own personal risk while driving, which isn't my fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies