Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So you support the banning and/or fining of all other things that are of equal or greater risk? You really care about all those people being saved don't you?
List what you are talking about and I will give you my opinion because you have yet to provide any facts to back up your claims so I guess this entire thread is nothing more than an opinion thread.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I enjoy riding my motorcycle, but I fear for my life every time I see some idiot talking on his or her cell phone while driving. These morons have almost killed me several times. In one incident, the woman behind the wheel of some SUV missed me by less than 2 feet, but the car behind me broadsided her. I made certain that the police got my information in their report.

I believe also, however, that seat belts and brakes be removed from the vehicles of people who believe they know better how to run my life than I do. I wear my seat belts, obey traffic laws and keep my cell phone off while I am in my car. I have not had a traffic ticket for nearly forty years, and I make certain to vote Republican in every election.
I couldn't agree more. I've always voted the opposite but have no loyalty to either party. I'm feeling some Republican love right now though ha ha

Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
List what you are talking about and I will give you my opinion because you have yet to provide any facts to back up your claims so I guess this entire thread is nothing more than an opinion thread.
Incorrect. Your Soooo concerned about other people's safety. You should support all banning/fining all other things that are of equal or greater risk. Your about caring for the world. Making sure everyone is safe.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Incorrect. Your Soooo concerned about other people's safety. You should support all banning/fining all other things that are of equal or greater risk. Your about caring for the world. Making sure everyone is safe.
Sure, I support all banning/fining (because you seem to think those two things are the same, so why bother explaining the difference) all other things that are equal or greater risk.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Sure, I support all banning/fining (because you seem to think those two things are the same, so why bother explaining the difference) all other things that are equal or greater risk.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTS) estimates the 15,147 lives were saved in 2007 by the use of seat belts.

Seat Belt Use

You support banning smoking.

In the United States, smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., about 443,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).1

You support banning drinking.

lcohol abuse kills some 75,000 Americans each year and shortens the lives of these people by an average of 30 years, a U.S. government study suggested Thursday.

You would also support banning all motorcycles from the roads.

Both are perfectly legal, yet are responsible for more deaths in the US each year. Don't be a hypocrite and support one and not the other.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTS) estimates the 15,147 lives were saved in 2007 by the use of seat belts.

Seat Belt Use

You support banning smoking.

In the United States, smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., about 443,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).1

You support banning drinking.

lcohol abuse kills some 75,000 Americans each year and shortens the lives of these people by an average of 30 years, a U.S. government study suggested Thursday.

You would also support banning all motorcycles from the roads.

Both are perfectly legal, yet are responsible for more deaths in the US each year. Don't be a hypocrite and support one and not the other.
Sure, why not, this has turned into an all or nothing conversation so lets ban it all.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Sure, why not, this has turned into an all or nothing conversation so lets ban it all.
Can I partially wear a seat belt? Did I miss something?

Hey, you can drink or smoke if you want. Just don't get mad about a fine. We're not restricting each other from living.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Can I partially wear a seat belt? Did I miss something?

Hey, you can drink or smoke if you want. Just don't get mad about a fine. We're not restricting each other from living.
I don't know, can I have half a cigarette or half a glass of alcohol?

Last time I am pointing this out to you, a ban on cigarettes and alcohol means you can't have either.

A seat belt law doesn't prevent you from driving. A seat belt-like law for cigarettes and alcohol wouldn't actually ban you from cigarettes or alcohol, it would just be a law that you could only do those things if it is within the law.

Try buying a beer at a bar in Chicago and see what happens when you try to walk out to the street with that beer. Why can't you do that? It would be called breaking the law, it doesn't prevent you from drinking, it just prevents you from drinking in public. The seat belt law doesn't prevent you from driving, it just prevents you from driving without a seat belt.

But like drinking in public, you can also drive without a seat belt, but like drinking in public you increase your risk and add the chances of being caught and fined for it.

If you use your silly banning something is the same thing as a seat belt law, I am just gonna copy and paste this post because I am tired of repeating myself to someone who clearly isn't listening.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
Urbanlife...It does not prevent you from drinking but prevents you from drinking in public not because of the safety for yourself but for the safety of others. Such as smoking....smoking is banned in public places because second hand smoke kills innocent people.

Seatbelts laws only protect you. Just as wearing a helmet on a motorcycle only protects you. Worry about YOU..let everyone else worry about themselves. Its not like people that dont buckle up dont know the consequences. They are 100% aware of the risks associated with them and choose to not wear them. DOnt feel bad for them if they die in an accident. SUre, there are some sad stories out there but its not like they didnt know what could happen. There intention isnt for pity its because as a human being they should have the choice of how they use personal protective equipment.

We are a country that worries to much about people. Thats why we have too mnay people sitting on their a## at home mooching of the govt while they are doing drugs and drinking and having babies. Aww these poor people cant support themselves so we are going to give them a helping hand..I say we use them as crash test dummies so we can get some definitive results for this debate.

You cant prove that someone who died in an auto accident would have necessarilly lived if they had been wearing a seatbelt nor can you say that someone would have necessarilly died if they hadnt been wearing one. SO if you are truly concerned about people..what about the small percentage of people that have died in an auto accident due to the law requiring them to wear one. WHat about those people? WHat if they had been able to choose? They may still be here debating this very issue.

Seatbelts do reduce the number of deaths, just dont see why thats anyones concern except for the person choosing whether to buckle up or not. What ridiculous law will be next?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
You can't assume a person would necessarily be safer if they were wearing a seat belt.

If you hit Magritte on her driver's side, she could possibly be safer by not wearing a seat belt depending on how hard you hit her. You could crush in the driver's side and kill her.

The fact that you were negligent remains. The accident is your fault. A person is injured or killed because of you. Not of their own actions. In a hypothetical case you can't prove the seat belt made Magritte safer. She could be killed or seriously injured either way.

Again. If you want to make an argument in court when all the expenses are being worked out, fine. A judge may not have a lot of sympathy on you trying to pass blame.
This.^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies