Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Driving has never been classified as a "right" therefore your entire argument has never had a solid ground.
Driving on American Roads is a Constitutional Right, not a State-Granted 'Privilege' by Richard James McDonald (April 7, 2005)

http://open.salon.com/blog/david_pri...ot_a_privilege

Driving is a right. It is necessary in the pursuit of happiness. It is necessary in many parts of the country to function in today's society.

Your "right" to drive can be taken away, but only under due process. We do have laws that further restrict that "right" (age, standard driving test, etc), but the act of driving is a right granted to all individuals who meet those initial criteria.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I really don't understand if you all know that there have been tons of different laws and traditions throughout time. Laws vary by state, by country. They've varied over different time periods as well. Arguing that I should follow this current seat belt law because "its the law" makes no sense whatsoever.

What makes sense is a law that protects citizen's from other citizens. Not citizens, from themselves. Especially when the law requires the individual to wear a device that could potentially cause harm to the user in certain situations.

You can talk about "opinions" all you want, but we also have a thing called a Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and they're more valid than any "law" on the books when it comes to dictating this country's policies. Your just missing the big picture again.
Actually you are the one talking opinions, also if it is a law, then you must obey it even if you don't agree with it, but you are welcome to try to change any law you want. You just need to gather support from people and politicians to get something like this changed...but until then it is still a law and when you don't wear your seat belt, you are breaking that law, it is that simple.

Also, the Bill of Rights says nothing about you having the Right to Drive, and you know that.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Driving on American Roads is a Constitutional Right, not a State-Granted 'Privilege' by Richard James McDonald (April 7, 2005)

Driving is a Right Not a Privilege - David Price - Open Salon

Driving is a right. It is necessary in the pursuit of happiness. It is necessary in many parts of the country to function in today's society.

Your "right" to drive can be taken away, but only under due process. We do have laws that further restrict that "right" (age, standard driving test, etc), but the act of driving is a right granted to all individuals who meet those initial criteria.
Funny you should post this because you are missing a key factor.

Quote:
[SIZE=+1]TO TRAVEL IS A "RIGHT," NOT A GOVERNMENT GRANTED "PRIVILEGE "[/SIZE]
You have the Right to Travel in this country, that isn't the same thing as having the right to drive a vehicle.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Funny you should post this because you are missing a key factor.

You have the Right to Travel in this country, that isn't the same thing as having the right to drive a vehicle.
Again. Right over your head.

I'm not gonna sit here and argue over something that's up to interpretation. I'll just put it this way. You still have no argument.

I'm going out. Happy New Years to everybody!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Actually you are the one talking opinions, also if it is a law, then you must obey it even if you don't agree with it, but you are welcome to try to change any law you want. You just need to gather support from people and politicians to get something like this changed...but until then it is still a law and when you don't wear your seat belt, you are breaking that law, it is that simple.

Also, the Bill of Rights says nothing about you having the Right to Drive, and you know that.
As far as the bold, I'm old school American. We never fold to unjust laws!

You on the other hand, would be the British

Happy New Years.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Again. Right over your head.

I'm not gonna sit here and argue over something that's up to interpretation. I'll just put it this way. You still have no argument.

I'm going out. Happy New Years to everybody!
Again, right over your head cause you seem to not understand the difference between travel and driving, but it fits into your message so I understand why you are running with it cause it makes your opinion feel sound.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
As far as the bold, I'm old school American. We never fold to unjust laws!

You on the other hand, would be the British

Happy New Years.
I am sure you said that to the officer who gave you a ticket. I think marijuana should be legal, but I also think one should obey the law (or at least not be caught breaking the law ) until it is deemed legal.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I am sure you said that to the officer who gave you a ticket. I think marijuana should be legal, but I also think one should obey the law (or at least not be caught breaking the law ) until it is deemed legal.
I'm gonna have a smoke tonight. I guess that's another law I'll just have to break ha ha.

I've been in Chicago, whaddya expect?? We've never obeyed prohibition.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
It's an appeal to tradition because your phrase of "driving is a privelege" is an appeal to old values.
again, that's your failure not ours. Driving has NEVER been determined a right in any court in this land; even when idiot Sovereign Citizen folks try to do so with their paper terrorism (and yes, they've gone to COURT to say that driving is a right, and HAVE LOST every single time)

The rest of your argument fails from there since its based on a faulty premise. the one making fallacious arguments is you.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
seriously what part of Driving is a privlege do you knuckleheads do not get?

You want to drive, then obey the fracking laws. If the law says you must wear a seatbelt, then too bad, YOU wear that damn seatbelt.

You can always choose to take the bus, walk, bike, taxi or bum a ride with a friend (in the backseat).

Otherwise, you obey the laws. That's why you were given a license.

END THREAD.

Really, it did not need to go to 8 pages of BS.
I have no problem following the law. I wear a seatbelt because I choose to not because I am forced to. The fact is that Americans should have the right to choose whether or not to use a seatbelt. Who are you to choose which safety measures in which I live by?

Correct me if I am wrong but this post isnt about breaking the law but about how mandatory seatbelt use is unjust.

Having laws to protect public safety is one thing but having laws to protect people from themselves is just plain stupid. Why do you care about everyone else?...worry about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies