Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM

168 posts, read 244,037 times

Advertisements

NO NO NO NO

Why would you care if they are closed on Sundays for any reason?
I believe that all stores should be closed on Sundays for day of rest and quality of life, no religious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 PM

168 posts, read 244,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Businesses should be able to decide their own opening hours. This includes liquor stores which, at least in TX, are prohibited from selling hard liquor on Sundays. Stupid law.
No.... Keep the stores closed on Sundays for a day of rest and quality of life!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
I believe that all stores should be closed on Sundays for day of rest and quality of life, no religious reasons.
I belive they should be open if they want especially since most people who work M-F have only Sat and Sun to shop and do all that other stuff.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
All stores should be closed on every day.

Christians claim Sunday, Jews claim Saturday, and Muslims claim Friday.

Thursday honors the Norse god Thor.

The rest of the days also honor Norse gods - so to avoid offending the Norse worshippers among us - all commerce should cease immediately.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
should the administration tell them when they can and can't be open - since it's for "religious" reasons that they are closed on Sunday?
No.

Government should have no role in determining when any business is open.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Businesses should be able to decide their own opening hours. This includes liquor stores which, at least in TX, are prohibited from selling hard liquor on Sundays. Stupid law.
Correct.

It is not a valid role of government to tell businesses when they can be open.

There should be NO laws regulating business hours.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
In the case of contraception it is hobby lobby tiring to force it's view on it's employees. A day off on the other hand is no where near as invasive...now if hobby lobby required church attendance on Sunday then that again would be a issue. For the most part employers should not be dictating to employee's how they should behave outside of work hours and there are uses for the birth control pill that go beyond preventing pregnancy(not to mention the fact that pregnancy itself is not a good thing for all women).
Hobby Lobby isn't dictating anything to employees. One thing abortions are free at Planned Parenthood right now, plus a woman is free to go get birth control anywhere she pleases. Hobby Lobby just doesn't want to pay for abortion and birth control. I really don't see the problem with that. As a woman myself, I can take responsibility for my behavior and go buy generic birth control myself or make my man use a condom. I don't think employers should be forced to pay for things they don't want to pay for. As a consumer, I don't want to be forced to pay for things I don't want. I believe in freedom. Most liberals don't believe in freedom.

Not to mention, employees aren't forced to work for Hobby Lobby.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Hobby Lobby isn't dictating anything to employees. One thing abortions are free at Planned Parenthood right now, plus a woman is free to go get birth control anywhere she pleases. Hobby Lobby just doesn't want to pay for abortion and birth control. I really don't see the problem with that. As a woman myself, I can take responsibility for my behavior and go buy generic birth control myself or make my man use a condom. I don't think employers should be forced to pay for things they don't want to pay for. As a consumer, I don't want to be forced to pay for things I don't want. I believe in freedom. Most liberals don't believe in freedom.

Not to mention, employees aren't forced to work for Hobby Lobby.
Contraceptives are a drug and as such should be covered by insurance where other drugs are covered. End of story. We are not going to assign morality to drugs and this is NOT a "christian thing". Not by a long shot.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Contraceptives are a drug and as such should be covered by insurance where other drugs are covered. End of story. We are not going to assign morality to drugs and this is NOT a "christian thing". Not by a long shot.
Insurance companies are private businesses. They shouldn't be forced to offer anything they don't want to.

If you believe in freedom of choice that is. End of story.

And so, it is good.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,503,740 times
Should Hobby Lobby and Chik-Fil-A Be Forced To Open Their Stores on Sunday?

No one can be that addicted to crafts or chicken they can't wait until Monday. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies