Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Not to mention, employees aren't forced to work for Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Insurance companies are private businesses. They shouldn't be forced to offer anything they don't want to.

If you believe in freedom of choice that is. End of story.

And so, it is good.

So you are saying that Hobby Lobby (or any other business) should be able to dictate what products and services their insurance provider offers?

Maybe Hobby Lobby should find a carrier that doesn't provide those particular products and services.

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
hobby lobby isn't dictating anything to employees. One thing abortions are free at planned parenthood right now, plus a woman is free to go get birth control anywhere she pleases. Hobby lobby just doesn't want to pay for abortion and birth control. I really don't see the problem with that. As a woman myself, i can take responsibility for my behavior and go buy generic birth control myself or make my man use a condom. I don't think employers should be forced to pay for things they don't want to pay for. As a consumer, i don't want to be forced to pay for things i don't want. I believe in freedom. Most liberals don't believe in freedom.

Not to mention, employees aren't forced to work for hobby lobby.
No it is dictating and in terms of employment the employer has more power in this situation than the employee...the employee needs the money.

I mean no birth control, that is stupid there are other uses than contraception: http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/2.../15/index.html

Pregancy itself is risky/dangerous even lifethreating to some women and on the case of down syndrom the odds increase with the age of the parents.

This is about controling the lives of women.

Last edited by chirack; 12-30-2012 at 09:29 PM..

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Insurance companies are private businesses. They shouldn't be forced to offer anything they don't want to.

If you believe in freedom of choice that is. End of story.

And so, it is good.
Usually the most "pro-choice" people are the most anti-choice when it comes to a private businesses determining their own policies.

Go figure.

Liberals are like women - a mystery.

The difference is that women have redeeming attributes.

Last edited by Harrier; 12-30-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So you are saying that Hobby Lobby (or any other business) should be able to dictate what products and services their insurance provider offers?

Maybe Hobby Lobby should find a carrier that doesn't provide those particular products and services.
Hobby Lobby cannot dictate what an insurance company (or any business) offers. It's impossible.

Any deal between Hobby Lobby and an insurance company is a voluntary, private contract.

Any third party that interferes in that contract is violating the rights of Hobby Lobby and said insurance company.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

They are already forced to by federal law. IMHO is fair because this isn't about personal morality this is about forcing someone's view of morality on another person's body.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 PM

61 posts, read 58,759 times
Yes because I need mediocre fried chicken and cheap Chinese crap on the Lord's day.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
The government is not going after business practices that may have a religious rationale. They are enforcing parts of the health care law.

A different business could similarly refuse to cover birth control for their employees with no religious reason given, maybe just because the owners don't feel like it. That business would be under threat of penalties just as much as Hobby Lobby is. Religion isn't the issue. Failing to follow the health care law is.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Based on the administration's anti-religious stance regarding Hobby Lobby covering abortion on its insurance coverage...

should the administration tell them when they can and can't be open - since it's for "religious" reasons that they are closed on Sunday?
A business can do what ever it wants, but it is a business and not the Holy Sanctified Church of Hobby Lobby, there for, it does not get religious exemption for offering birth control. they knew that when they incorporated.

Most stores are closed or have shortened hours on Sunday because they know alot of people go to church, have family dinners and get together to watch football on that day.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Based on the administration's anti-religious stance regarding Hobby Lobby covering abortion on its insurance coverage...

should the administration tell them when they can and can't be open - since it's for "religious" reasons that they are closed on Sunday?
Of course not. Moreover, if they wanted to be open ONLY on Sunday, that is their business. It is time to tell Uncle Sam to "stuff it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies