Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
No, enough with the idiotic slavery long business and working hours like third world countries!
Anyone who does not have time to shop 6 days a week should change their jobs, or do something about it... This is crazy, unbelievable and sad.

There are plenty of things to do when stores are closed, such as walking around, hiking, going to parks, play outside, watch tv, spend time with family and friends, read, go online, cook, attend services, etc. etc.

Your shows should be closed on Sundays and you should be paid for being off.
As I've argued in the past (on similar topics), why does any of this dictate having SUNDAY off? If I work Sunday-Thursday, I'm still working only 5 days on with 2 days off... same as somebody working Mon-Fri or Tues-Sat, etc. How is that any different, and how am I any more "overworked" just because my days include Sunday? Makes no sense, so you're only arguing this for religious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM

168 posts, read 244,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why?? I work in a field that often requires Sunday work (I'm a public librarian), actually just got off work a few hours ago. Despite it still being "the holidays," the library was quite busy with people utilizing our services - checking in/out books & movies, studying in the study rooms, using our computers & wifi, asking us librarians for assistance, etc. I don't mind working on Sundays, nor do my co-workers AFAIK, and the people of our community appreciated having libraries open 7 days/week.

How does any of this affect or matter to YOU? What would be accomplished by us closing on that day? My other branch actually is closed on Sundays (solely for budget reasons), and our mostly Jewish & Asian patrons complain about that regularly. Point being, if you want to attend church and then do nothing all day, by all means do just that... but don't force the rest of us to suffer, just because that is your preference on how to spend Sundays.
We are mostly talking about retailers, not emergency service, necessary places, or libraries. Although I still think libraries should be closed on Sundays.

Jews and Asians complain? how about you tell the Jews to move to Israel if they don't respect the traditional culture and predominant religious belief in America or the western world. It's like a Christian living in Israel is complaining why stores are closed on Saturdays... It doesn't make any sense. Why should Christians or Muslims suffer in Israel? Same thing...

Maybe you don't mind working, but vast majority do mind and nobody should work on Sundays. You should be paid for being off from work.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Can you explain why, in cases where Sunday-working employees have another day off instead? What is the reasoning behind that time & a half pay? I mean, sure it would be nice... but I'd feel guilty getting paid more than somebody who works the same total hours/days per week, especially considering my Sabbath (when I observe) is on Friday-Saturday.

The regulations that do exist, like age and safety requirements, minimum pay, etc, make perfect sense - as they protect a worker from harm or "slave labor." What sense is there behind choosing an arbitrary day where employees get more money, even if they don't observe a Sunday Sabbath?
The point is everybody should have the same weekend day off (Sunday) without any competition or unfairness.
Government and state offices, banks, post offices and almost all non-retail jobs are closed on Sundays.

Sunday closing has nothing to do with religious reasons. Christians don't keep the sabbath as strict as Jews.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM

Anyways the Supreme Court has ruled Sunday closing law "blue law" constitutional all four times it has been taken to court, and two of those cases were because of Orthodox Jews who couldn't do business on Sundays and had to follow state laws.

Fortunately, the Jews lost

Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
Please someone tell me when the pin-heads are going to figure out that an employers views on race, religion, ethnic or nationality have no bearing on the treatment of their employees. If the federal government grants employee rights to workers then the employer must accede to those rights. A Christian Scientist who doesn't believe in medicine isn't exempt from paying for the medical treatment (see workmen's comp) of their injured employees. Following that logic, if the federal government grants the right of employees to have certain medical procedures or treatments, the employer cannot deny those procedures or treatments because of their personal views. With the few exception of those religious "businesses" whose sole purpose is the promotion of those religious views.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
A business can do what ever it wants, but it is a business and not the Holy Sanctified Church of Hobby Lobby, there for, it does not get religious exemption for offering birth control. they knew that when they incorporated.

Most stores are closed or have shortened hours on Sunday because they know alot of people go to church, have family dinners and get together to watch football on that day.
They knew they had to provide birth control when they incorporated?

Wow.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM

If I were Hobbly Lobby I would fire every female between the ages of 15-45. Only hire males and women that are at least 46 years of age.

Only way I'd hire a woman of child bearing age is if she had her tubes tied.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
If I were Hobbly Lobby I would fire every female between the ages of 15-45. Only hire males and women that are at least 46 years of age.

Only way I'd hire a woman of child bearing age is if she had her tubes tied.
Have you ever been in a Hobby Lobby? Most of the employees at our local HL are young women, the type you would see at McDonald's b/c that's the type of job it is. Anyway, age and sex discrimination is also illegal. Too bad for HL. [MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-31-2012 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Please someone tell me when the pin-heads are going to figure out that an employers views on race, religion, ethnic or nationality have no bearing on the treatment of their employees. If the federal government grants employee rights to workers then the employer must accede to those rights. A Christian Scientist who doesn't believe in medicine isn't exempt from paying for the medical treatment (see workmen's comp) of their injured employees. Following that logic, if the federal government grants the right of employees to have certain medical procedures or treatments, the employer cannot deny those procedures or treatments because of their personal views. With the few exception of those religious "businesses" whose sole purpose is the promotion of those religious views.
Please someone tell me what gives the federal Govt the right to tell an employer and employee what their voluntary private contract should include in the first place?

What if I would rather have higher pay than bc coverage?

What if I wanted 6 days of vacation instead of 5 in place of bc coverage?

Thanks Obamacare for removing my and my employers right to choose.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,562,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, it doesn't quite work that way. Hobby Lobby lost their case in their quest to try and control the sex lives of their employees. It really wasn't about abortion - it was about the morning after pill and their insurance, blah blah blah.

So - right now - it's Hobby Lobby that is going to have to do all the adjusting.
Or close its doors and all those employees lose their job.

Just another case of this government meddling in businesses where they have no right to be. All because of those busy body types who insist that they know what is right for everyone but themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies