Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,349,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Don't be silly. Any business can set it's own hours with no restrictions. The government has never forced any business to stay open and never will.
Not if some of the Village Idiots over there in LeftyLand had their way. This is the problem with the so-called "progressives"; they can only think in terms of force and power. And with their head honcho determined to turn the Judiciary into a rubber-stamp, i's going to become much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Or close its doors and all those employees lose their job.

Just another case of this government meddling in businesses where they have no right to be. All because of those busy body types who insist that they know what is right for everyone but themselves.
Cheap and effective birth control has been provided by capitalists for decades. This is a totally made up "problem" because President Obama knows the American publik no longer thinks.

Let's punish business owners and employees to get some votes seems to be the Dems play book these days.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,562,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
No.... Keep the stores closed on Sundays for a day of rest and quality of life!
Incredibly naive. Go to one of the states that don't sell liquor on Sunday (I happen to live in one). Go by the store on Saturday and see how crowded the parking lot is.

Very easy to get around such conventions.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I like this (not), if you can't negotiate a great deal, you're a bad employee. How does the employer know what kind of an employee you are upon hiring? I've done some hiring, and sometimes you get some real turkeys. Also, do you really want employees comparing their benefits with each other? That's why employers, even small ones, have personnel policies.

It is amazing that you think the employer and the employee are equals. That is simply naive.

BUT NO ONE HAS TOLD THESE BUSINESSES OR ANY OTHER THAT THEY HAVE TO BE OPEN ON SUNDAY! Show me one fragment of proof that this is happening.
Employees have more power to negoitiate then people think. That's what I meant to say if I didn't. I didn't say they were equal. And no law will make them equal.

Not that long ago no one told business they had to pay a minimum wage, pay overtime, hire based on race and/gender, provide health insurance etc.......and if you look at Census Data evil capitalists had already solved these problems along with child labor decades before the unions and government "fixed" them. No laws necessary.

5 years ago if someone said employers must pay for employee birth control everyone would have laughed.
And every year at Thanksgiving you hear people complaining about people working on Holidays.

Only a matter of time.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Every employee negoitiates compensation. Doesn't matter if there is a union or not.

And employees have quite a bit of power. They good ones anyway.

I never said the govt didn't interfere with the employee-employer relationship. I said they have no authority to do so.

The fact that there are no vacation day laws and employees get them proves my point. No need for the govt to interefere.

According to Libral Economics 101 the employee never gets anything unless the government makes it happen. So why did my employer grant me a vacation day today???

You seems to think it's not a God-given right for two parties to negoitiate a mutually beneficial contract. Amazing.
Good point. If an employer did not give any of their employees certain days off as vacation, that employer would soon find themselves with no one willing to work for them.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,358,954 times
No, of course not! business (with the exception of emergency services) Should be able to control their own hours of operation, as they now do. I would be delighted to see more business closed on Sunday. I would be fine with the German System that closes retail business early on Saturdays and do not re-open until Monday. I would be DELIGHTED to see retail stores closed on ALL commonly celebrated holiday, both secular and religious, in the U.S. These adjustments are easily adapted to (I lived my entire childhood and youth in such a system), and will even, most likely, promote "neighborliness". . . .Can I borrow a cup of sugar? an egg? These things happened frequently in the 40's and 50's, and we lived in both harmony and interdependence with our neighbors.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,061,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
If I were Hobbly Lobby I would fire every female between the ages of 15-45. Only hire males and women that are at least 46 years of age.

Only way I'd hire a woman of child bearing age is if she had her tubes tied.
Don't forget married men......no married men unless they or their wives have been sterlized.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,148,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Good point. If an employer did not give any of their employees certain days off as vacation, that employer would soon find themselves with no one willing to work for them.
This line of thinking works only in a good moving economy where there is a job waiting down the street if you don't like the one your at. Right now your idea will fall flat on its face. People will stay with a job even if its dangerous if there is nothing else. Look at the those working in Coal mines, its dangerous and causes health problems but people do it because its all thats available at a living wage. I doubt that anyone would work in a coal mine if they could don a white shirt and tie and sit around a water cooler all day. LMAO Really? Thats your answer let them eat cake?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

No. If it were up to me, this whole damn nation would shut down on Sunday. Every single business except for emergency services.
That would be Government control of opening days. A handful of municipalities have blue laws that prohibit opening on Sunday. Those laws are being repealed because when an economy is majority driven by consumerism, it makes sense to be open when people want to shop, be entertained and dine out.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
WHich is exaclty why we don't need workplace laws.

Good employers would get their choice of good employees. Bad ones would go out of business.

All laws and regs do is add cost for a business. They could better use that money to attempt to generate more business which normally means more employment. Which means less crime, less people on welfare, and more people contributing to society.

But liberals like walking all over the employee-employer relationship. Conservatives aint much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies