Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
In principal I would tend to agree. The trouble is legislating the difference between "good churches" and "bad churches."

It's a lot like freedom of speech being extended hatemongers like the Westboro Baptist Church, the Klu Klux Klan and similar groups. We'd all love to shut them up permanently. But if we are to be true to the principal, we can't do that.

I'll never in a million years understand why people flock to these mega-churches, knowing full well the lavish lifestyle their donations afford their clergy. That doesn't give anyone the right to single those churches out for targeted exemption to the separation of church and state. So we tolerate them as a matter of principal just as we tolerate the KKK's right to say all the stupid things they say.
Would you consider the mormon "church" to be comparable to the KKK? It also spends a lot of money on political activities, buildings and propaganda. If not, it would be a case of the pot calling the kettle "beige".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Would you consider the mormon "church" to be comparable to the KKK? It also spends a lot of money on political activities, buildings and propaganda. If not, it would be a case of the pot calling the kettle "beige".
I would definitely consider these atheist groups to be very similar to the KKK. They're not content for a live and let live mindset. They're all about destroying religion by any means necessary. It's the same "atheistic crusade" mindset that saw millions of religious people in the USSR and over 20 million Chinese murdered in the Cultural Revolution. They are hate groups and if you belong to one or believe it is right to bully others into disbelieving, then you are a member of a hate group.

The fact that the Mormon religion believes that homosexuality is an abomination before God and that marriage is a sacred religious rite -- these are not things that I expect you to ever comprehend. Catholicism and every other religion opposing gay marriage feels the same way. They see the gay rights movement as a crusade against morality and the sacred institution of marriage.

If Prop 8 prevents gays from having the same rights as heterosexuals, then fine. Fix it. Have civil unions and have equality. But as much as you love to whine about Mormonism and as much blind hate you have for them, let's get one thing straight. Prop 8 was just one example where the opposition outspend your side. In 2012, your side significantly outspent the religious opposition to slam through the gay marriage agenda in Maryland, Maine and Minnesota. You're entire reason for hating Mormonism is that they outspent you in California, but what's the difference really? You spent way more money and you won the day. If it's low or underhanded or unfair or wrong when the Mormons help do it in California, why is it right in Minnesota, Maine and Maryland?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Atheist Group Sues IRS Over Church Tax Status

With all of the budget issues facing our government, isn't it time that we start taxing the churches? Perhaps not ALL churches, but megachurches that exceed a threshold amount of income, property wealth. These churches act just like businesses. They purchase radio/TV spots, newspaper/magazine ads, promotional events all in an affort to increase membership revenue. At my local Starbucks, I am constantly seated next to church laymen trying to brainstorm and hone their marketing message. It's no longer just preaching the word of God; it's a BUSINESS. It should be taxed like one.
Them boys from FFRF are getting really nasty these days, aren't they?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Taxing the churches in America is nothing short of inevitable. It's the first step towards the ultimate Atheist (TM) goal of criminalization of Christianity. Considering nearly half of the younger generation, if not more, is atheist or agnostic, this is only going to get worse in the coming decades. If the churches start being taxed, many of the smaller churches won't be able to keep operating. Many say they will just move into homes, but I bet the government keeps close eye on that to prevent it from happening

Couple ordered to shut down home bible study - or face $500 per meeting fines | Mail Online

Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Taxing the churches in America is nothing short of inevitable. It's the first step towards the ultimate Atheist (TM) goal of criminalization of Christianity. Considering nearly half of the younger generation, if not more, is atheist or agnostic, this is only going to get worse in the coming decades. If the churches start being taxed, many of the smaller churches won't be able to keep operating. Many say they will just move into homes, but I bet the government keeps close eye on that to prevent it from happening

Couple ordered to shut down home bible study - or face $500 per meeting fines | Mail Online
where do you get this "nearly half" figure from?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't buy it. I'm not so sure that churches really do all that much for charity relative to what they take in. And when you have pastors flying around in helicopters, living in opulent homes, owning private jets, and driving Bentley's, that's a problem.

Again, i'm not so sure that churches do all that much in regards to the poor. I think their role is exaggerated.
If you can provide adequate proof of your ridiculous allegations, you can join in the argument. However, there are HOW many thousands of Churches in the country? And you may be using less than 1% (IF that) as an example of the whole?

Look into the major donors and charities in this country. The vast majority of them are Christian churches. If you'd like to continue the argument AFTER doing so, you're welcome to.

If you'd like to keep throwing out random and untrue statements in an attempt to say "church=bad", you're welcome to do so. Just don't expect anyone to respond.

Common sense is truly lacking on the left. You want help for the poor and needy, but you want to punish the group that's behind the vast majority of that help. Brilliant.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The fact that the Mormon religion believes that homosexuality is an abomination before God and that marriage is a sacred religious rite -- these are not things that I expect you to ever comprehend. Catholicism and every other religion opposing gay marriage feels the same way. They see the gay rights movement as a crusade against morality and the sacred institution of marriage.
Regardless of their beliefs and whether you agree, can you tell me who the FIRST responders were to the Hurricane Sandy tragedy?

Red Cross? No.

FEMA? Try again.

That's right, the LDS Church. They were the first ones sending in MUCH needed aid while the government struggled with the red tape to provide the minimal services they did.

I have a problem with a lot of the LDS Church tenants. However, that doesn't mean that they're not a HUGE charitable foundation and provide TONS of aid, where your precious government struggled to get anything to them in a reasonable time.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Got the names of any that might exist.
If they don't get a tax break for religious basis, what are you comparing?

They wouldn't be claiming a religious organization exemption. Duh.
Why do you think this group sued?
Nope because atheism isn't a charitable premise. Ever seen an atheist school, atheist hospital, atheist hospice, atheist homeless shelters, atheist food pantries, etc?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Regardless of their beliefs and whether you agree, can you tell me who the FIRST responders were to the Hurricane Sandy tragedy?

Red Cross? No.

FEMA? Try again.

That's right, the LDS Church. They were the first ones sending in MUCH needed aid while the government struggled with the red tape to provide the minimal services they did.

I have a problem with a lot of the LDS Church tenants. However, that doesn't mean that they're not a HUGE charitable foundation and provide TONS of aid, where your precious government struggled to get anything to them in a reasonable time.
Fine. They can give this charitable help if they choose to do so since it's one of their missions. That still doesn't answer why they should be tax-exempt. So your argument would be that if they had to pay taxes, they would not perform the same deeds in a disaster? We're not advocating FOR the government, rather for the people that pay taxes in this country and our financial well-being.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post

Red Cross? No.

FEMA? Try again.

Eh, you have a link for that? Sorry, but I live in the Hurricane Sandy area, and I'd say that the "first responders" to help were the locals, many in the form of small churches in the area who immediately collected food and clothing and opened their doors to let people sleep in their basements and sanctuaries. NOT EVERYONE who responded first were religious, not saying that. People jumped up and helped no matter what their belief, or absence of it, but houses of worship whose facilities were intact served as staging areas and collection points. There are Mormons in NJ, but not a whole lot of them.

Perhaps the LDS Church was the first responder that was a major organization?

And I think you meant "tenets", because "tenants" makes no sense in your context, unless you are truly referring to people who rent from the LDS church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies