Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

Atheist Group Sues IRS Over Church Tax Status

With all of the budget issues facing our government, isn't it time that we start taxing the churches? Perhaps not ALL churches, but megachurches that exceed a threshold amount of income, property wealth. These churches act just like businesses. They purchase radio/TV spots, newspaper/magazine ads, promotional events all in an affort to increase membership revenue. At my local Starbucks, I am constantly seated next to church laymen trying to brainstorm and hone their marketing message. It's no longer just preaching the word of God; it's a BUSINESS. It should be taxed like one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

With all of the budget issues facing our government, isn't it time that we start taxing the churches? Perhaps not ALL churches, but megachurches that exceed a threshold amount of income, property wealth. These churches act just like businesses. They purchase radio/TV spots, newspaper/magazine ads, promotional events all in an affort to increase membership revenue. At my local Starbucks, I am constantly seated next to church laymen trying to brainstorm and hone their marketing message. It's no longer just preaching the word of God; it's a BUSINESS. It should be taxed like one.
Yes.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Noted.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
I'd prefer we look for ways to stop taxing more groups, but then for the left, government is their church.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:07 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Okay, we can start taxing churches...at about the same time we start taxing Atheist organizations that receive non-profit status. Deal?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
And you know, I have yet to hear of a Christian organization that says "Buddhism is not God-centered, so it is not a religion and we should tax Buddhists in the USA". But these monkeys want to tax churches...and they wonder why atheists are the least trusted Americans:

New Research Says Anti-Atheist Prejudice Stems from Distrust

If you don't like religion DON'T PRACTICE ONE. No one is forcing you to. If you don't like my religion than big deal, I don't care what you think...but the constant "well, you're a big dummy" cries from the minority of Atheists gets annoying after awhile.

Why push to have churches taxed just because you don't like them? I don't like the Kardashians, do you see me pushing to have news organizations taxed more every time they mention them? (not a bad idea by the way)

Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Well of course the atheist hate-groups are suing. That's what they do. They sue everything and everyone that has anything to do with religion no matter how indirect the association.

It comes down to this: Taxing religions is fine as long as the entire "separation of church and state" ideology gets tossed in the garbage. If the majority of teachers and students want to have prayer in school, but they allow for non-participation, then they should be allowed to do it. If the federal, state or local government wants to pay out pubic funds to help out this religion or that, and they have a majority vote in the corresponding legislative body, then so be it. If a school wants to refuse to teach evolution on religious grounds, then they don't have to teach evolution. If public schools want to offer up an elective course in Bible study (or any other scripture study for that matter), you have to allow it. In short, every rule or tradition that falls under the ideology of "separation of church and state" ceases to exist.

"Separation of church and state" is a double-edged sword. If you want to treat them like every other business or corporation, then the boot-heel of enforced silence in the public space must be lifted off their collective throats without qualification. Just like any business, unless they're breaking the law, they are free to do whatever they like, wherever and whenever they like, just like any other business.

Most of them would restructure into tax-free non-profit organizations anyways, so what's the point?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I'd prefer we look for ways to stop taxing more groups, but then for the left, government is their church.

Actually, it would be very Christian of churches to voluntarily pay taxes.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay, we can start taxing churches...at about the same time we start taxing Atheist organizations that receive non-profit status. Deal?
I've yet to see an opulent Atheist temple or church, have you? They're not into using this country's generous tax exempt benefits to enrich themselves.

Actually, it would be very Christian of churches to voluntarily pay taxes.

At least pay property taxes since they ultimately utilize city services such as street construction, fire and police services.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Got the names of any that might exist.
If they don't get a tax break for religious basis, what are you comparing?

They wouldn't be claiming a religious organization exemption. Duh.
Why do you think this group sued?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies