Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I am stating that DOMA denies states rights as protected by the 10th Amendment.
Then I re-ask my original question that you never answered.

Please explain DOMA to me - in your mind, what is it? What does DOMA do? What effect does DOMA have on gay rights and the treatment of gay people under the law? What effect will its repeal have? Does DOMA deny gay people equal rights? Does DOMA keep special rights out of the hands of gay people?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
Quote:
NY Jew and WesternPilgrim already did.

Read their posts.

Oh yes, you did. but uou selectively ignored them.

How typically liberal of you.
They did no such thing.

Again: please prove that the "gay army" (whatever that is) is infested with anti-Semites.

I need to let my gay Jewish friends know.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Evidence would seem to indicate in fact, the more extreme one's religion, the more immoral they actually are. We see this in the Bible belt, the Middle East, Africa, from posters here that constantly attack gays, etc.
Christianity was considered an extreme religion at the time of it's inception - and still is, because it acknowledges a higher power than the state.

Imagine - a loving God who forgives you for your sins and died on a cross as a sacrifice for YOU.

Most people can't imagine such love, but it is what our LORD did for us.

He loves us - and that is reality.

Deal with it.

Last edited by Harrier; 01-04-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM

990 posts, read 938,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Look, you nincompoop. The discussion of AIDS was underway when I gave the stats. Take the relevance up with folks who 1st brought it up.

I happen to be pro-ssm. I also am pro-the truth about AIDS/HIV.
I didn't insult you, so why do you call me a name when I was merely pointing out that HIV/AIDS have NOTHING to do with Same-sex marriage...if anything, they are inversely related. Married couples are far less likely to have multiple sexual partners than unmarried ones.

The truth about AIDS/HIV is that they have nothing to do with this debate and your statistics about the origins of infection are meaningless in this debate.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
it's freedom of religion not freedom from religion. I would have no problem (constitutionally) if the government mandates that every single person become religious as long as every individual has the option of what religion.

It's official, you know NOTHING about the Constitution or freedom.

Forcing the entire nation to be religious is as far from what the founding fathers intended as possible.

To actually suggest that it would be okay to force people to become religious has got to be one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard in my entire life. Wow.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Then I re-ask my original question that you never answered.

Please explain DOMA to me - in your mind, what is it? What does DOMA do? What effect does DOMA have on gay rights and the treatment of gay people under the law? What effect will its repeal have? Does DOMA deny gay people equal rights? Does DOMA keep special rights out of the hands of gay people?
DOMA is an unconstitutional attack on states rights. It enforces federal opinion of marriage on soveriegn states.

I have always held the opinion that issues such as abortion and the definition of marriage should be decided by states.

That is why both DOMA and Roe v. Wade are unconstitutional, because they impose federal law on states rights.

California has chosen TWICE to say that gay marriage is unconstitutinal. Our state Supreme Court has ruled thst the people's will is "wrong".

My former home state, Washington, has decided that gay marriage is perfectly O.K.

I think that both states are right - although I personally disagree with Washington's stance.

Do you understand my position now? It is in support of freedom, not federal tyranny.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
... I was merely pointing out that HIV/AIDS have NOTHING to do with Same-sex marriage...if anything, they are inversely related. Married couples are far less likely to have multiple sexual partners than unmarried ones.

The truth about AIDS/HIV is that they have nothing to do with this debate and your statistics about the origins of infection are meaningless in this debate.
No, AIDS/HIV - along with other serious health risks associated with homosexual activity - is totally relevant to the same-sex "marriage" debate. Why? Because same-sex "marriage" isn't really about marriage at all. It's about normalizing homosexuality, removing the social stigma. That is the goal. SSM is only a means to this all-important end. Normalizing homosexuality will have the effect of increasing homosexual activity, mostly outside of marriage (real or imagined), and thereby increasing the incidence of AIDS/HIV and other maladies.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:

They want us to acknowledge validity of their lifestyle on the street, and they want us to accept that homosexual marriage is "equal" to the true definition of marriage - that of a union between a man and a woman.
What you call "the true definition of marriage" maybe true for you, but not for me.

Your definition of "marriage" - in my opinion - stinks. I don't accept your definition of marriage.

You do not have to accept a male-male or female-female legally married couple as "married." Nope, just like you don't have to accept another person's religion. I want the same-sex couple to have equal rights, not be second class citizens. You don't have to accept them, but the law has to accept them.

Civil marriage is a civil right.

Guess what ... it's going to happen.

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post

To actually suggest that it would be okay to force people to become religious has got to be one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard in my entire life. Wow.
Well then you don't know the history of America. What do you think America did to the
native American Indian.
So...I'd forget the founding fathers. Just stick to plain decency, self respect, and
love.

Is that too much to ask from a human? I guess yes is in order.

Quote:
They already have that.

You are advocating for special rights based on a person's chosen lifestyle.
So what you're saying is that sexuality is a choice but religion is not?

Huh?

I can decide tomorrow to be a Muslim or a Catholic or an Orthodox Jew, but I cannot choose to be gay. I can't suddenly cause my petzel to get excited by men just because I make a "lifestyle choice".

Or are you saying that you chose to be straight? I certainly didn't choose to be straight, I simply went through puberty and had uncontrollable urges to see girls naked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies