Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,788,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Christianity was considered an extreme religion at the time of it's inception - and still is, because it acknowledges a higher power than the state.

Imagine - a loving God who forgives you for your sins and died on a cross as a sacrifice for YOU.

Most people can't imagine such love, but it is what our LORD did for us.

He loves us - and that is reality.

Deal with it.
He also said people who use his name for hate do not know him and will be cast out. Your beliefs are the very thing Jesus spent the most amount of time condemning.

How very conservative of you.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-04-2013 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,114,664 times
Quote:
DOMA is an unconstitutional attack on states rights. It enforces federal opinion of marriage on soveriegn states.

I have always held the opinion that issues such as abortion and the definition of marriage should be decided by states.

That is why both DOMA and Roe v. Wade are unconstitutional, because they impose federal law on states rights.

Do you understand my position now? It is in support of freedom, not federal tyranny.
Oh my God. Where to begin.

First off, your legal understanding of DOMA and states rights is just 100% dead wrong. It's amazing how wrong it is. DOMA defines how the the federal government looks at marriage. It denies equal federal marriage rights to legally married gay people. It in no way whatsoever enforces federal opinion of marriage on states. It doesn't address in any way whatsoever how states write or enforce their own marriage laws. The only way in which DOMA relates to states is that is says states don't have to acknowledge other state's gay marriages. If anything, DOMA protects state's rights and state's sovereignty in this area.

Now back to what you keep ignoring. Does DOMA deal with gay people and their rights under the law - yes or no?? Why won't you even acknowledge what the law is about? (I know the answer to that - because doing so would mean admitting that you're wrong - that gay people are in fact discriminated against and denied equal rights under the law). So I ask a 3rd time:

Please explain DOMA to me. What effect does DOMA have on gay rights and the treatment of gay people under the law? What effect will its repeal have? Does DOMA deny gay people equal rights? Does DOMA keep special rights out of the hands of gay people?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
So what you're saying is that sexuality is a choice but religion is not?

Huh?

I can decide tomorrow to be a Muslim or a Catholic or an Orthodox Jew, but I cannot choose to be gay. I can't suddenly cause my petzel to get excited by men just because I make a "lifestyle choice".

Or are you saying that you chose to be straight? I certainly didn't choose to be straight, I simply went through puberty and had uncontrollable urges to see girls naked.
You ae so wrong.

You know perfectly well that I never said that religion is not a choice - so why would you even suggest such drivel to be true?

Faith is always a choice, and I have consistently maintained this as a truth.

One must acknowledge that they are a sinner, and accept the forgiveness that was justified by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, in His sacrifice on the cross, in order to be a Christian.

You construing my stance as anything but a choice is a LIE , and a typical liberal deflection, in order to avoid their true anti-spiritual beliefs.

May God bless you.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-10-2013 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,959,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Marriage is not only about sex. Sexual attraction does not entail marriage.
In many (probably most) cultures, even romance between young people has no status in marriage at all.

A man being sexually attracted to other men does not entail the privilege of marriage, which is a social concept and a legal concept.

I don't want to talk about moral issues here but from a legal perspective, it creates many problems. For example, we will have to give green cards to foreign men who marry American men.
1. I agree, marriage is not only about sex. It can be about love and companionship.

2. Marriage is not a "privilege." It is a fundamental civil right. The US Supreme Court stated that unequivocally in the famous Loving v. Virginia ruling.

3. Yes. We will have to give green cards to foreign men who marry American men - and foreign women who marry American women - just like we do for the foreign "mail order bride or husband" heterosexuals marry.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
No, AIDS/HIV - along with other serious health risks associated with homosexual activity - is totally relevant to the same-sex "marriage" debate. Why? Because same-sex "marriage" isn't really about marriage at all. It's about normalizing homosexuality, removing the social stigma. That is the goal. SSM is only a means to this all-important end. Normalizing homosexuality will have the effect of increasing homosexual activity, mostly outside of marriage (real or imagined), and thereby increasing the incidence of AIDS/HIV and other maladies.
It will have the exact opposite effect actually.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh my God. Where to begin.

First off, your legal understanding of DOMA and states rights is just 100% dead wrong. It's amazing how wrong it is. DOMA defines how the the federal government looks at marriage. It denies equal federal marriage rights to legally married gay people. It in no way whatsoever enforces federal opinion of marriage on states. It doesn't address in any way whatsoever how states write or enforce their own marriage laws. The only way in which DOMA relates to states is that is says states don't have to acknowledge other state's gay marriages. If anything, DOMA protects state's rights and state's sovereignty in this area.

Now back to what you keep ignoring. Does DOMA deal with gay people and their rights under the law - yes or no?? Why won't you even acknowledge what the law is about? (I know the answer to that - because doing so would mean admitting that you're wrong - that gay people are in fact discriminated against and denied equal rights under the law). So I ask a 3rd time:

Please explain DOMA to me. What effect does DOMA have on gay rights and the treatment of gay people under the law? What effect will its repeal have? Does DOMA deny gay people equal rights? Does DOMA keep special rights out of the hands of gay people?
I already told you that I oppose DOMA because it violates the 10th Amendment.

What more do you want?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I already told you that I oppose DOMA because it violates the 10th Amendment.

What more do you want?
I want you to acknowledge what DOMA does - that it denies equal rights to legally married gay people. That it codifies unequal treatment of gay people into the law.

(and no, it doesn't violate the 10th Amendment - your understanding of DOMA and state's rights is 100% dead wrong)

Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,959,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Your logic is so weird.
I believe a spouse of an American citizen should be allowed to live in the US permanently.
But I do not think it is a good idea to extend it to gay couples.

Women usually value their fame more than men do. A woman with bad fame can hardly get married.
You cannot say the same thing to men (straight or gay).
I do think your logic is not only weird ... but profoundly prejudiced.

It sounds to me that you believe heterosexuals are endowed with superior rights and special privileges over any American citizen who is a member of the LGBT community.

In my book that's discrimination.

I'm sure you you disagree, but I am in favor of EQUALITY. Equal rights. Equal responsibilities. No "1st Class" citizens versus "2nd Class" citizens.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM

990 posts, read 940,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
No, AIDS/HIV - along with other serious health risks associated with homosexual activity - is totally relevant to the same-sex "marriage" debate. Why? Because same-sex "marriage" isn't really about marriage at all. It's about normalizing homosexuality, removing the social stigma. That is the goal. SSM is only a means to this all-important end. Normalizing homosexuality will have the effect of increasing homosexual activity, mostly outside of marriage (real or imagined), and thereby increasing the incidence of AIDS/HIV and other maladies.
Normalizing?
Social Stigma?

Ummm, no.

Gay Pride parades have already done that.

When I was a 14 year old jock, I would never have been anywhere near a gay pride parade...today, the entire baseball team of 14 year olds I coach go to the pride parade together to CELEBRATE with the gays.

You can't actually suggest that by legalizing gay marriage that straights will suddenly become gay because of the legal status of gay marriage, can you?

Do you recognize how illogical this all sounds? Are you saying that you can CHOOSE to be gay? WHY would you choose that?

I'm as pro-gay as they come, and there's no way that I would ever consider being with a man because I'm straight. I wouldn't try being gay because there was less of a stigma...

And what stigma is still left today?

ESPN broadcasted a pro bowler kissing his gay husband on TV this week.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship #157 is headlined by a lesbian who served in Iraq as a Marine.
A gay man recently headlined a televised boxing event.
NFL players have expressed much support for gay rights.
Obviously it's supported in Hollywood.
In fact, literally hundreds of major corporations, politicians and millions of people support gay marriage...

The only people with whom there is still a stigma are the intolerant bigots and religious nuts. Meanwhile, the country is now more than 50% in favor of gay marriage and it's only getting more accepted.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
(and no, it doesn't violate the 10th Amendment - your understanding of DOMA and state's rights is 100% dead wrong)
Are you saying that you support DOMA?

It most certsinly does impose on state rights.

The 10th Amendment: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.