Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
While I certainly don't agree with what the newspaper did - I think the title of this thread is a bit disingenuous.

If I want someone's address - and I know their name and state ~ I'm only two mouse clicks away from obtaining it.
I was thinking the same thing. It's not as if government secrets were leaked. But I don't like any published "list of people who..." with names and addresses because, while it may be public info, weirdos who may not otherwise have thought about it can be sparked into action by such a thing. We have way too many obsessive, compulsive, irrational, people to be playing fast and free with lists such as this. I feel the same way about lists of people who have committed crimes as well so it's not that I care about gun owners particularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,689 times
That information was public even before the newspaper publicized it. If someone wanted to find it they could have easily found it. Plenty of websites will give you much more info, try Spokeo

Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
There are people who try and take steps to hide from people. For example, someone who had to take a restraining order out. I don't know if they would have even thought of their gun registration info being out there. I'd be pissed.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
The gun owners whose addresses were published should sue the Journal for relocation expenses. Then, the Journal should report that the previously listed gun owners have all moved and no longer reside at the published addresses.
personally i think the paper should be sued into oblivion, and the laws changed to prevent this from EVER happening again.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
personally i think the paper should be sued into oblivion, and the laws changed to prevent this from EVER happening again.
Sued for what? Publishing public information???

Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And then comes their followup lawsuits for pain and suffering. The awards can dwarf the payments for relocations... and should.
that should be good fof another 10 rep points including my one.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
My best guess is that the cons are all mouth and are not stupid enough to go to a house they KNOW is armed.. Even most criminals aren't that stupid...
and of couse commie will use this as eviidence against guns being used for defense.

go figure.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
My best guess is that the cons are all mouth and are not stupid enough to go to a house they KNOW is armed.. Even most criminals aren't that stupid...
Might want to do a bit more research on that one. From what I've been reading about things like robberies and home invasions, it doesn't take a very high IQ to be a criminal. Some of them have been sent up for extremely stupid errors in judgement, aside that of committing the crime in the first place.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Now the prison inmates are walking up to prison guards and reciting the guards' exact home address to them. They got the addresses, from the newspaper's published map of gun owner permits

Good job, Rockland Journal News.

You won't need police protection any time soon, will you, newpapers people? Cops may be too busy guarding their own homes against recently-released criminals, to respond to your calls. I know I would be.

Hope the paper's publishers don't mind.

-------------------------------------------------

Journal News gun permit map endangers officers, officials say

Journal News gun permit map endangers officers, officials say

Originally published: January 4, 2013 3:40 PM
Updated: January 4, 2013 4:01 PM

By SARAH ARMAGHAN sarah.armaghan@cablevision.com

Criticism of The Journal News, which published a gun permit database last month, broadened Friday with Rockland law enforcement officials saying the map listing the names and addresses of those with gun permits is endangering lives.

Inmates at the Rockland County jail are taunting corrections officers by saying they know the guards' home addresses -- information they got from the list published by Westchester-based newspaper, Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco said.

"Since about 9:30 this morning, I've been in a meeting with my corrections officers and their unions. They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live. That's not acceptable to me," Falco said at a news conference Friday morning in New City, where local leaders condemned the list.

Falco, along with other supporting police chiefs and county legislators, wants the paper to remove the information from its website.
You can look up just about anybody on the internet anyway. And many people are still in the phone book.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
You want to know something "fun-nee", there was once a natural right called "privacy".
And governments were actually delegated power to help you secure that right.
Who would've thunk it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies