Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That would be true, if this paper truly cared about the People's Right to Know. But it's quite apparent that this is an ideological move, and has nothing to do with the right to know.
Read doc1's comments following my rant to the same comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
People have a right to know the politicians who have armed guards or carry permits!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Don't tell me you are trying to defend this! Look, just because it is "public information" does not give someone a right to plaster it all over the country. We firearms owners/permit holder dont go around screaming that we have a gun.
. Discretion is a primary rule of having a ccw. Violation carries stiff penalties. There is no public danger involved here, just an attempt to create one in peoples minds. It may be public information, but it has been misused. That is a crime. Look it up.
Yes it does. 1st amendment gives you that right. The newspaper was obviously biased and had an agenda, but they broke no laws.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Yes it does. 1st amendment gives you that right. The newspaper was obviously biased and had an agenda, but they broke no laws.
Unfortunately.

One can't defend the 2nd amendment and not defend the first...

One has to take the good with the bad...

Otherwise us 2a people are hypocrites.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Unfortunately.

One can't defend the 2nd amendment and not defend the first...

One has to take the good with the bad...

Otherwise us 2a people are hypocrites.
I don't approve of what the paper did, but I defend their right to do it.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,064 times
Quote:
I don't approve of what the paper did, but I defend their right to do it.
Oh, I didn't mean you. Just speaking generally.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Now the prison inmates are walking up to prison guards and reciting the guards' exact home address to them. They got the addresses, from the newspaper's published map of gun owner permits

Good job, Rockland Journal News.

You won't need police protection any time soon, will you, newpapers people? Cops may be too busy guarding their own homes against recently-released criminals, to respond to your calls. I know I would be.

Hope the paper's publishers don't mind.

-------------------------------------------------

Journal News gun permit map endangers officers, officials say

Journal News gun permit map endangers officers, officials say

Originally published: January 4, 2013 3:40 PM
Updated: January 4, 2013 4:01 PM

By SARAH ARMAGHAN sarah.armaghan@cablevision.com

Criticism of The Journal News, which published a gun permit database last month, broadened Friday with Rockland law enforcement officials saying the map listing the names and addresses of those with gun permits is endangering lives.

Inmates at the Rockland County jail are taunting corrections officers by saying they know the guards' home addresses -- information they got from the list published by Westchester-based newspaper, Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco said.

"Since about 9:30 this morning, I've been in a meeting with my corrections officers and their unions. They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live. That's not acceptable to me," Falco said at a news conference Friday morning in New City, where local leaders condemned the list.

Falco, along with other supporting police chiefs and county legislators, wants the paper to remove the information from its website.
You do realize that any of those prisoners with half a brain could make or have someone make for them a FOIA request and find out that exact information.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Remember when the libs went ape ****, because Vallery Plame's name was leaked? This is thousands of times worse, and the libs are silent.
So. Printing in a news paper information that is easily avaliable is 1000 times worse then using your access to classified material to illegally leak the name of a CIA handler...yeah I don't think so.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Yes, they did. Misuse of public information. It is not that they obtained the information. Its the way they used it. And a sharp attorney or two or ten is going to deep fry them. Extra crispy.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Liberals who advocate for publishing this information hate women.

Many gun permit holders are women who are armed to protect themselves from past violence - and aren't exactly happy that their location is now readily available to those whom want to harm them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies