Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if anything, this might actually backfire in the journals face. criminals now know who not to do crime against and where the gun free homes are. less of a chance of getting shot.
I thought the publication only covered pistol permits. If so, there is still the element of surprise for other firearms. One would also think that the criminals know better than anyone, that not all people have permits.

Having said this, I still can't wrap my head around the intent of publishing this information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most states do not allow inmates to have access to the internet.

How are prisoners accessing this information?
They still have outside contact with friends and relatives, who have access to the internet.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Having said this, I still can't wrap my head around the intent of publishing this information.
There is an effort right now to shame legal gun owners in an effort to push an anti-gun agenda before the sting of the Sandy Hooks event wears off. Every gun grabbing group all the way up to the White House knows they have to work quick to remove or restrict gun owner's rights or people will forget and move on.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,145 times
Default Unbelievable

Well I take that back, it's believable. I would tell those inmates if they ever decide to come to my home with ill intentions they won't ever have to worry about going back to jail or going to prison because they will be 6 feet deep. Dummies, did you read the whole newspaper? It says that I have a gun, I got a gun and I know how to use it so PLEASE give me an excuse to use it! I'm cocked and ready to BLOW... someone's head off, will it be you?? I'm waiting up for you and your goons, as a matter of fact, I'll set you free now, so you can come to my house, and I can wipe you off the face of the earth!

Oh sorry yall, I'm really feeling for these officers, I'm sure I just said what most of them were/are thinking.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
I thought the publication only covered pistol permits. If so, there is still the element of surprise for other firearms. One would also think that the criminals know better than anyone, that not all people have permits.

Maybe you aren't as liberal. Liberals hate or despise those who disagree with them on the issues they hold, and anything they can do to hurt those people is fair, in their opinion. Maybe this will cross the line for some libs, because releasing these names harms everyone, not just the hated conservatives and republicans.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But it's more important for the anti-gun advocates to get their message across.
"Whatever it takes" is the mantra of the left, ethics be damned.
As well as safety-be-darned. They would rather endanger law-abiding citizens, who have NEVER committed a crime, with the sorry excuse of protecting society, just to further their agenda.

Truly disgusting. I hope nobody gets hurt because of this horrible decision by the paper, but they do, I hope the folks at the paper get punished right along with the perps.

The unspoken evil in all this is that the Left is exploiting Sandy Hook for their agenda. Truly disgusting.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
My best guess is that the cons are all mouth and are not stupid enough to go to a house they KNOW is armed.. Even most criminals aren't that stupid...
But they might send one of their buddies, at a time when they know the armed person (the guard) isn't home, to do harm to their family.

Actually, criminals ARE that stupid. Especially when they don't have much to lose.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...or watch your home until you're not there, enter and steal your gun(s). That seems to be the left's sense of citizen privacy rights. Sick I tell you, sick!
Exactly. Shriek to the rafters about privacy when it comes to gay rights. But it's apparently OK to tell all if it fits your agenda.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Sued for what? Publishing public information???
Don't tell me you are trying to defend this! Look, just because it is "public information" does not give someone a right to plaster it all over the country. We firearms owners/permit holder dont go around screaming that we have a gun.
. Discretion is a primary rule of having a ccw. Violation carries stiff penalties. There is no public danger involved here, just an attempt to create one in peoples minds. It may be public information, but it has been misused. That is a crime. Look it up.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I think any woman with a restaining order against a man who is prone to violence would agree that's just chance we must take as a free society to protect the People's Right To Know.
That would be true, if this paper truly cared about the People's Right to Know. But it's quite apparent that this is an ideological move, and has nothing to do with the right to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies