Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
depends on the restaurant and time of day.

could be anything from 0 upwards.

is there a point to this question?
Probably trying to say that waitress are lazy SOB's and don't deserve a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Don't give me no ethical speech when you are guilty of voting to go after hard working Americans. No it is not ok to stiff the waitress but in your opinion it is ok to try to stiff your employer, educated people who also WORK, it's ok to vote to stiff them with higher taxes. Such hypocrites.

Ethical does not mean selective ethical so stop.
I don't give a damn. If you stiff a waitress, then you're a coward and s lowlife. And if you defend stuffing the lowest person in a restaurant, that person is just as gutless as the person that did the deed.

Again, if you wanna make a point, tell the owner that because your taxes went up, you simply can't pay your bill. If you wanna get into civil disobedience, then do it big. Be willing to put your ass on the line.

But a server that works for tips? Only a dirtbag would do that.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Do they deserve more than minimum wage?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
So typical of democrats, avoid answering the question.
Is it typical for Republicans to deflect with an irrelevant question to answer? But I'll try...

Quote:
SO HOW MANY tables does a server typically wait on in an hour.
There is no "typical," since every restaurant and shift is different... I used to be a waitress at a small restaurant in Lake Tahoe, and it could range from 0-10+ depending on the season & time of day. NOW can you explain what this has to do with anything?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Ok since no one would answer I did some research and found that they wait on between 20 - 45 tables in a day. lets go middle of the road and say that this girl gets $5 a table at 30 tables = $150 plus the wage paid by the restaurant.

20 tables X $5 = $100 plus wage / day
45 tables x $5 = $225 plus wage / day

Now this girl expected an $8 tip so that means more money. Cripe I didn't average that kind of money working in a hospital and I went to college to earn a degree. Then she is complaining?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Or that they're earning so much in tips, they shouldn't miss one tip-less table... hard to tell with these folks, given their inconsistent manner of conversing.

Edit: Just saw his post above, and my guess was right! Predictable much?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Ok since no one would answer I did some research and found that they wait on between 20 - 45 tables in a day. lets go middle of the road and say that this girl gets $5 a table at 30 tables = $150 plus the wage paid by the restaurant.

Now this girl expected an $8 tip so that means more money. Cripe I didn't average that kind of money working in a hospital and I went to college to earn a degree. Then she is complaining?
I did answer, as did Kenneth... not only that, but I also predicted where you were going with that comment. Guess what? I never handled that many tables in a day, and never came even remotely CLOSE to earning that much in a night. I'd maybe go home with $40/night in tips, if that - especially since we pooled our tips and shared with the cooks.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
LOL. As if you aren't attacking hard working Americans, which would also include waiters and waitresses and their inflated salary you seem to think they are collecting. How do you know who is a democrat? Because someone doesn't see it YOUR way makes them a democrat? Here's a thought: maybe they are independent!!!!
Don't those government run schools teach you how to read.

Read my previous post where I said it does not matter and a lot of people are ticked about it. What does matter is Obama said middle class would not pay higher taxes but he did not tell you about the increase in payroll tax. He was selective in the information to get your vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
How does someone give up their welfare check and PAY more to people?? No welfare check equals no money. What are they going to use as "payment", rocks??

Wow, you are seriously narrow minded. You must be a welfare babe. How about finding a job to work for money. Now there's a NEW concept for welfare losers.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:

I thought that right wingers didn't count other peoples money?

If you're so envious of what they make, become a server. Now you're angry because you make crap money after dropping a small fortune on college? Too bad.

But don't take your frustrations out on a server just because they're doing better than you..

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Their take-home wage is $7.25/hr (unless higher by state). Most wait staff make more than that hourly, however. We have people in my hotel restaurants that make over $100k waiting tables. That's more than I pay the day manager.
You must work in a high end hotel with 4/5 star restaurants. Your day manager is on a career path. His money will come later - although highly unlikely he will see $100,000 unless he goes into corporate, which is not easy. Waitstaff generally stays waitstaff.

Not every state requires waitstaff be paid state minimum wage.

Hotel employees also enjoy certain perks, which I'm sure your manager does. He probably gets to eat in the restaurants twice a day and can bring his family - comped by the hotel. He and his family can probably use the facilities. Even though he is getting a free meal, I highly doubt he tips. I see this way too often. I enjoy the perks where my husband works, but I tip the waiters/hairdressers/masseuse - because they provided a service. Had I paid in full or it was discounted, I would still tip - for the service THEY provided.

Waitstaff generally eats in the cafeteria and don't enjoy the same perks as "management". For that matter waitstaff gets few if any perks. Add up all the perks that your manager takes advantage of and it basically is tax-free income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies