Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
You want to eliminate mortgage interest tax deductions FOR ALL? I could see capping it at say $1M, but if you are advocating complete elimination, well, that is simply advocating for the complete and total destruction of the housing market and the American dream.

Are these just jealous Marxists who believe everyone should rent an apartment in a city? I don't get it. Being able to deduct our mortgage interest has allowed us the "luxury" of being able to raise a family in a safe neighborhood in a good school district in the suburbs. There is much evidence that homeownership creates pride in community and civic responsibility.
Yes I want the loophole eliminated.

No, I don't think everyone should rent. I own a home in the suburb in a town with one of the best school districts in the nation. It's the 15th most affluent neighborhood in the nation (according to Forbes) and I didn't need these loopholes to purchase it. What I did was work to generate income. Then I saved money. Then I bought some land. Then I built a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes I want the loophole eliminated.

No, I don't think everyone should rent. I own a home in the suburb in a town with one of the best school districts in the nation. It's the 15th most affluent neighborhood in the nation (according to Forbes) and I didn't need these loopholes to purchase it. What I did was work to generate income. Then I saved money. Then I bought some land. Then I built a home.
I am a Realtor. Before the Dems decided that everyone needed to own a home they couldn't afford, it was standard practice to educate young couples on the advantages of home ownership (mortgage interest and property tax deductions) to show them how their monthly payment could be more affordable than paying rent!

Could the mortgage deduction be considered an "incentive" to become a responsible, home-owning American? Why yes it could. Is that a BAD thing? No, it is not. You want to reform it? Only allow people who have at least 20% equity in their home to be eligible for the deduction. I would be down with that.

You bought in NJ. Need I say more? LOL

Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The forum poster was upset because servers have to divvy up the tips to everyone including giving the lazy servers part of the money. Sound Familiar? Isn't that "exactly" what Dems and Libs are all about. Divvying up what you and I worked hard for and giving it to the people who are lazy? Amazing, they don't like it when it is them.

Dems and Libs claim everyone should share seriously need to stop being hypocrites when it's their turn to share.
You are comparing apples and oranges. I don't agree with a slacker being rewarded - especially a slacker who actually has a job. I'm talking about slackers ON THE JOB, not welfare slackers.

Go read my history as to where I stand where welfare is concerned. You might even conclude that I'm a Republican.

I don't like that I am FORCED to pay taxes and I get the privilege to support people who don't or won't work. Fortunately waitstaff that are taken advantage of in a pool sharing situation do have a CHOICE - they can leave and find another job where the gratuity is not shared.

Being in a forced situation and a situation where one has a choice are two different things. I know you don't get it because you are so narrow minded and bitter that you can't see or think straight. You have had that rubberband wrapped around your head holding on your tinfoil hat for past four years. The pressure on your head must be painful. Probably beset that you leave it in place because to remove it your head might explode.

You are also a party of selfish people who are no different from those on welfare - everybody wants something. You want war, you want your assault rifles, you want tax breaks so that you don't have to pay your share. I guess one can't expect much from a diehard Republican - you have your own form of greed. It's for those reasons, and your 1950s thinking that caused you to lose the election and will probably lose 2016 and 2020. You are all a bunch of losers and don't have the ability to change the things you want to change because you are incapable of thinking of how to make those changes. Damn fools.

In spite of what you want to believe I am not a democrat. Democrats and Republicans are like two azzholes in one pair of underwear.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
You bought in NJ. Need I say more? LOL
Yes, I bought in the area where I grew up. Say more. What are you trying to say?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 5,116 times
If you think waiters & waitresses are UNDERPAID, youvclearly never done that job before. Since I have, I always leave 20%. If can't afford to do that, I'm not wasting the little money I have eating out. Seems a little contradictory to me to spend that much on lunch and not tip properly... Then blame the president that you don't have enough money? Wow. That's sad. Obama's not the one responsible for the economic collapse you guys. Go back and look at 2008 - he wasn't President yet. Despite Congress' best efforts to blame him and stop any policy of his from passing (from solving the jobs problem to protecting elderly people to filling out his staff) the economy is improving anyway. People who are blaming Obama or the economy because they can't tip are whiners and, ironically, exactly the type of people who NEED Obama's policies - he would like America to help the less fortunate. Though, again, if you have $37 to spend on Pizza, I wouldn't say you're suffering like some Americans are.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do you think he is an idiot? Is everyone who criticizes Obama an idiot?

Facts are facts.
He is an idiot because his protest was misplaced. What does the waiter have to do with his dislike of Obama. And secondly his state taxes went up. Which has nothing to do with Obama. Cutting back doesn't mean still going out to expensive lunches but stiffing the waiter because it is out if budget.

That guy was cheap and needed a scapegoat.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
sound like sour grapes but 48% of the population is being run over daily by the reelected president. mr obama is majority rule--- not winner take all.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-roboT View Post
.........he would like America to help the less fortunate.
How about the "less fortunate" help themselves? I'm not talking about those that are working, I'm talking about the ones that are capable of working and aren't made to work and live off the taxpayer. If charity begins at home, then Obama needs to stop being so charitable to foreign countries. Think how that money would help the "less fortunate" here in the US. He should tax and fine corporations that take jobs out of the country. Think how those jobs were here in the US how they would help the "less fortunate".

Obama's idea of helping the less fortunate, are those on full blown welfare, is to see that those who he thinks have too much such such as a job, a home, money to take a vacation, send their children to college, own a car, have 1 or 2 children and possibly some savings/investments have less, by taking from them and giving more to those who want more - the "less fortunate".

Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Dems were warned.

Too bad, so sad.
It doesn't matter, just like if Walmart lays off people and Dennys too it doesn't matter, because with King Obama everyone will get free healthcare anyway. And in liberal California other government entitltment programs are also infinitely generous.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, I bought in the area where I grew up. Say more. What are you trying to say?
As did I, and which I totally regret, now that it has become Nazi York. But the mortgage and property tax deductions were the only thing that afforded us the ability to raise our children in what I mistakenly thought were really good schools. Ah well, 20/20 hindsight isn't very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies