Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Saw this in my local paper:

Inside Scoop SF » Customer makes a political point with his lack of tip at Cupola

He said he didn't leave a bigger tip because he no longer has enough discretionary income to eat out.

But he did find a way to spend $37 on lunch for two at a fancy oops pizza place. But couldn't afford $8 for a 20% tip?

What a loser. If you can't "afford" a proper tip go to McDonalds.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Where does the 20% mandatory tip come from? I always thought you give tip for great services, now tip is part of the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Where does the 20% mandatory tip come from? I always thought you give tip for great services, now tip is part of the bill.
I think the new minimum tip is 15%. I generally leave 20% unless you are horrible. Then I leave less with an explanation.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Right, like this coward is ever going to show up at that restaurant again.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,304 times
If I knew an Obama supporter owned a restaurant I would be eating there in the first place.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Look at all the welfare leaches who have the nerve to call him a coward. What nerve... Anyone who lives off other people labor (welfare leaches) and who does not work and pay their fair share in taxes are cowards.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I don't show up at a restaurant that provided bad service in the past.
Unless something has changed, this is just plain stupid.

There are many very decent people in food service and there a bunch of scum-bags in food service.

I don't go anywhere, or have anyone handle my food where I am not treated decently and have some feeling of rapport. Even when I travel, if I don't feel comfortable in a restaurant or feel the staff are apathetic I will leave - do you have any idea how many restaurants are in operation in spite of a history of health code violations?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Look at all the welfare leaches who have the nerve to call him a coward. What nerve... Anyone who lives off other people labor (welfare leaches) and who does not work and pay their fair share in taxes are cowards.
Let's lay off of the deflection and go back to the OP. This guy is cowardly taking it up on the service industry. If he's got a problem with the government or taxes, he should take it up with the government. As the OP stated, this guy is an idiot. It doesn't matter of he's a democrat or republican.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:49 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Let's lay off of the deflection and go back to the OP. This guy is cowardly taking it up on the service industry. If he's got a problem with the government or taxes, he should take it up with the government. As the OP stated, this guy is an idiot. It doesn't matter of he's a democrat or republican.
Thats your opinion - duly noted and found wanting.

You want to throw away your money on assh0les that don't deserve it, that is your prerogative.
Perhaps you're too much a coward to stand up for decent service and afraid you may be confronted by an angry service worker.

I have been confronted by an angry service worker and told him if he wanted to get his manager I would be happy to tell them both why I did not tip him.

I didn't hire them and I am not responsible for paying them.
I am responsible for paying for the meal I receive and if good service is provided along with that, I will gladly pay for that also, otherwise, no, I'm not about to reward someone for or afraid to let someone know I did not appreciate their poor service.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post

You want to throw away your money on assh0les that don't deserve it, that is your prerogative.
Perhaps you're too much a coward to stand up for decent service and afraid you may be confronted by an angry service worker.

I am responsible for paying for the meal I receive and if good service is provided along with that, I will gladly pay for that also, otherwise, no, I'm not about to reward someone for or afraid to let someone know I did not appreciate their poor service.
You actually think that President Obama or the governor of California was serving at the restaurant and they provided this patron with horrible service? You're out of your mind! President Obama does not work at a Pizza place!

If the reason he did not leave full tip was due to poor service then this thread wouldn't exist. How are you correlating payroll taxes and prop 30 to the waitress providing poor service?

Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post

I have been confronted by an angry service worker and told him if he wanted to get his manager I would be happy to tell them both why I did not tip him.

The waiter did not provide bad service. The patron on the other hand didn't not adhere to the social norms of dining out.

It would be a different ballgame if he left a note that said "your service sucked, so I gave you a substandard tip."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies