Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
LOL. Great question. Ask the ladies.
Young men are giving up on marriage

Smart men!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let me make something else clear. Karma's a real *****.

What I mean is that if you want someone of quality, you need to be a person of quality. If you want a hardworking, responsible, honest, financially stable, kindhearted, loving spouse who makes it a priority to live a healthy lifestyle, practice a particular faith in earnest (or not), live by their principles, etc. guess what - YOU HAVE TO BE THAT SAME CALIBER OF PERSON.

That's the tricky part for a lot of people, and, I hate to say it, a lot of women who want to get married so badly. I have really seen it, and so has my husband. He is "all of the above," and he was practically STALKED by women, many of whom I SWEAR were very nearly predators. I mean, they wanted this knight in shining armor, but what were they bringing to the table? Personal drama, debt, health problems, addictions, out of control kids, former marriages that they conveniently just didn't disclose. Dang! And even after we got serious and decided to be monogamous, some of these desperate women were relentless. It was like they smelled the scent of money and security, and went just about crazy. He would get pictures of them in the bathtub or in other provocative poses emailed to him - even by women he had never actually gone out with. He would get phone calls late at night - even after he told them he was dating someone else and would prefer they not call or contact him anymore. It was insane.

I assure you - I NEVER stalked a man like that. Women - have some dignity and pride about yourselves!
A woman that sees what guys see and is honest about it!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Lucky women...

Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
In your world, families and unrestrained orgasms are mutually exclusive?
Let's just say that a person who can't restrain the scope of his or her orgasmic escapades is unlikely to stay married or to get married in the first place.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Let's just say that a person who can't restrain the scope of his or her orgasmic escapades is unlikely to stay married or to get married in the first place.
How do you restrain an orgasm? Isn't an orgasm an orgasm?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
People who seriously practice a traditional religious faith are most likely to live by the tenets of that religious faith, which most likely prohibits or discourages divorce. So what you're really saying is that people who believe that divorce is bad don't get divorced - what a surprise!
Apparently it's a surprise to some men on the forum. Try to follow the conversation. A couple of male posters were explaining that they can't find any marriageable women out there. I am simply suggesting that if a man wants a woman who isn't going to divorce him when she has a bad hair day, he needs to find a woman who doesn't believe in divorce - and that means she will be seriously religious and also will belong to a family that is seriously religious. Such women are not going to be found in the clubs, or sunning quasi-naked on the beach, or at the local co-ed fitness center/meat-market either. One only finds such ladies well protected in their religious (and sometimes ethnic) subcultures and families.

To continue my advice to these gentlemen, you don't just break into those communities for the sake of finding a wife. You need to genuinely belong for the right reasons, or at least be a respected and longstanding fellow-traveler. If you're not firmly associated with such a community, and trusted by its members, you're probably stuck with a certain kind of woman. That's just the breaks.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 01-13-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Lucky women...
Yeah, I've seen this one before. Unfortunately for the people making this sort of argument, the facts don't bear it out. The amount of women wanting to marry is going up over the years. Women took to the whole "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" thing but then found out they actually did want a man after all and reversed course. The trend now is more women wanting marriage and less men wanting marriage. The happiness trend is similar, although not as pronounced. Women are growing less happy with their lives over time, while men are remaining relatively constant with a slight increase in reported happiness. The lifespan edge women had is narrowing as well, only being about half what it was a century ago. At the same time, the homelessness rates and suicide rates amongst men are still far greater but I haven't seen anything on how that relates to the former stats, if it relates at all.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Finding a religious woman doesn't make any difference considering what a religion become. Christians, like adherents of other religions, have a divorce rate of about 42%. The rate among religiously unaffiliated Americans is 50%. (not impressive, and born again have higher divorce rate than atheists).

Christianity is famous for its "spiritual buffet" meaning you pick what you like, disregard everything else or you take literally what you like and take as a parable everything else . Good luck finding a woman who takes Bible passages on woman roles, sex and divorce seriously. Absolute majority of ostentatiously Christian American women don't take literally that part of the Bible

Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Finding a religious woman doesn't make any difference ...
It makes a huge difference, but only if she belongs to a seriously religious family and community - a community that is vitally important to her identity, with traditional sanctions against divorce. Faith, family, and community are what keep a woman grounded in reality. A good husband is not enough. Getting divorced needs to have painful social consequences.

It's true that some protestant sects have become very tolerant of divorce, so not just any religion will do either.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 01-14-2013 at 12:39 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
It makes a huge difference, but only if she belongs to a seriously religious family and community - a community that is vitally important to her identity, with traditional sanctions against divorce. Faith, family, and community are what keep a woman grounded in reality. A good husband is not enough. Getting divorced needs to have painful social consequences.

It's true that some protestant sects have become very tolerant of divorce, so not just any religion will do either.
I know right, we need to go back to the days where you have to kill your spouse if you want a divorce, those were the good ol'days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies