Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Also, the disparity between healthy femininity that naturally wants to "look up" to a man, and the radical feminist upbringing most young women have received, causes internal conflict in women and must damage lots of relationships.
Heh. When I was 26 in nursing school, I took care of a very old Austrian Jewish woman who thought I was 19 or so, so it was OK that I wasn't married. When I told her my age, she said with that Yiddish accent, "So what are you, FUSSY?" I said, "I don't know anyone I want to marry." She said, "Honey, you should always have a man you can look up to." I said, "Irma, I just want to break even."

Might I point out that, for those of us who don't want to be parents, marriage might well be irrelevent. I do think a lot of people, and certainly men, assume that one must have children if married, and don't know how to say or think that they don't want to have children. How many marriages founder when the kids are born, because of the changes in both partner's behavior and roles?

I've never met a divorced man with kids for whom having another child was a requirement. I think a lot of them assume another kid is the price of marrying again, especially if they are hunting among childbearing age women (usually younger to much younger than themselves).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Good lord

Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
That would be most unfortunate, because the force of religion is the only thing that effectively protects marriage these days.

Most people who identify as Christian in America are basically pagans. The majority don't even go to church. However, the divorce rate for committed, practicing Christians is much lower than mainstream society. See "The Christian Divorce Rate Myth":

"Here’s the truth….

Many people who seriously practice a traditional religious faith — be it Christian or other — have a divorce rate markedly lower than the general population.

The factor making the most difference is religious commitment and practice. Couples who regularly practice any combination of serious religious behaviors and attitudes — attend church nearly every week, read their Bibles and spiritual materials regularly; pray privately and together; generally take their faith seriously, living not as perfect disciples, but serious disciples — enjoy significantly lower divorce rates than mere church members, the general public and unbelievers."

If you're not religious and you want to get married, meet Spike and Iris!

Well I am not religious or young and I am a number of my friends are getting married in their 30s or have recently gotten married. Religion has no place in my marriage yet that doesn't prevent me from being happy.

Also what was the point of showing a skit from Portlandia?

You seem to be obsessed with sex and marriage, at what age should our youth be getting married and pumping out babies and how many children should each of them be having. And if religion is the only real bond to marriage what religious should they be?

And why do you care about the sex lives of our youth?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Why? Why can't the father have primary custody and the mother pay child support?

And you wonder why men don't want to get married.........
You know most of them think. They think all men should pay and females should get a break.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 AM

The guys that run the divorce and family courts are females disguised as men, so they just simply closeted. They have so much self-hatred, they just don't care about men's lives at stake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Which is a BS reason.

I put my ex through school, not just financially but by taking on the lions share of managing the household and children while working full time because it was, "just too much for her".

I also supported her for 17 years. I asked her to take a job to help with the bills but she was too busy with other things - to this day I'm clueless as to what those other things were.

And after we divorced I'm stuck paying her alimony and child support when I have custody of two of our kids.

I don't understand how I am responsible for her financial well being when I provided for her for 17 years and not just supported but encouraged her options to establish a career as well as supported her through school.

The system is biased and broken. The system partners with women to rape men and split their income amongst themselves.

This is my opinion based upon personal experience and being involved with fathers rights advocate groups since my divorce.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 AM

Indeed, child support goes to the mother and not the child. Child support is just another form of alimony. Females can use that money on whatever she wants and the closeted judges are fine with it, as long as they keep financially slaving men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Before my second wife and I were married, I trained her to do the same job I was doing. And, she was getting equal pay. After the wedding, she quit and went back to drinking. A DUI cost her any chance of going back to that kind of work. Then, she complained that I was not making as much as the two of us together. (2001, she was diagnosed with cancer, and there has been no one else since. Nor, will there be.)

Sorry. I've known men that had custody of the kids, and were paying the ex-wife child support. I'm afraid that's completely wrong. Whoever has custody of the kids is the one to receive the child support. After all, it's to help support the kids with, not for the ex-wife to party with.

I expect this one is very true, and one of the reasons for the divorce rate.

No. No "renewal contract". Simply no contract at all. Not until they are prepared to give a man the same commitment they demand of a man. It should be a two-way street, not have a double standard.

Agree, 200%.

In the UK I read that the majority of people are now electing to live together and not to marry. But civil partnerships have the same legal responsibilities of marriage over there.

We are probably headed in the same direction.
[/quote]

Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Indeed, child support goes to the mother and not the child. Child support is just another form of alimony. Females can use that money on whatever she wants and the closeted judges are fine with it, as long as they keep financially slaving men.
[/quote]

I'm sensing some bitterness in your posts . . . . .

Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I'm sensing some bitterness in your posts . . . . .
You people only called it bitter if it's coming from a man.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Our family courts have embittered some men, and with the most strenuous effort at objectivity it's difficult not to sympathize with some of them. They were not all abusive bastards who had it coming.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM

334 posts, read 451,113 times
I have been away for a while and it still amazes me the amount of social and sexual dysfunction that permeates this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies