Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sorta true; it doesn't prohibit asking, but you cannot be required to answer.
No, it's not sort of true, it's 100% true. The bill does not, nor did it ever, prohibit a physician from asking a patient whether they own a gun.

You are not required to answer anything that a doctor asks you. So that point is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's section 4; sections 1,2,3, and 5 have nothing to do with calculating insurance premiums.
Subsections 2,3 & 5 put restrictions on HHS PPACA-granted authority which were never granted in PPACA. There's nothing in PPACA that authorizes HHS to collect and disclose gun ownership information nor compels individuals to disclose that information. The net impact of this language is precisely nothing.

Subsections 1 & 4 are both related to insurance plans. The only incentive a carrier (health plan) has to collect gun ownership data is for use as an actuarial criteria to set premium rates. So whether it's prohibiting carriers from collecting data as part of a health-risk assessment in a carrier-run wellness program (subsection 1) or directly prohibiting them from using it to set rates, it's all with the same purpose in mind.

The only thing that this subsection functionally accomplishes is prohibiting carriers from using gun ownership as criteria for setting premium rates.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
That is your right, but hey, work that righteous indignation for all it's worth. Why should a physician be worried about their patient's state of mental health or for the safety of the patient, their family, or the public at large?

IF a doctor brings up the subject of guns, you can probably bet they suspect you may be somewhat...oh, how shall I put this....unstable. Potential threat to self or others.

Paranoia is merely one component of it.

Think of it this way: the bartender who knowingly serves drinks to someone well beyond the point of intoxication may be liable for any subsequent vehicular accident once the patron leaves the bar. Likewise, a physician who suspects their suicidal patient might do something to harm themself may be liable for not taking the time to rule out that patient's easy access to a firearm or other means of self-harm.

Seriously....back the heck away from the kool-aid. Stuff will rot your brain.
Pure conjecture.

Neither you NOR I know why an individual doctor would ask an individual patient about guns in the home. That's why I've said repeatedly that we need CLARIFICATION about how people are going to be screened for mental illness/ability to responsibly own a gun. Who can ask that question? What sorts of doctors? Physician's assistants? ANY "medical professional?" What are they required to do with that information? Who will have access to that information - info that is a part of my private medical records?

Until I see those screening parameters, I am very comfortable with saying that it's not my doctor's business if I have access to guns.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Pure conjecture.

Neither you NOR I know why an individual doctor would ask an individual patient about guns in the home. That's why I've said repeatedly that we need CLARIFICATION about how people are going to be screened for mental illness/ability to responsibly own a gun. Who can ask that question? What sorts of doctors? Physician's assistants? ANY "medical professional?" What are they required to do with that information? Who will have access to that information - info that is a part of my private medical records?

Until I see those screening parameters, I am very comfortable with saying that it's not my doctor's business if I have access to guns.

The full 15-page document of recommendations from the White House is here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa..._time_full.pdf

Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Reason for outrage?
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

I find this one laughable

the CDC (DESEASE control) is going to address the causes of voilence.....

how about GREEDISM, ELITEISM, and MENTALISM

most volience (gun or not) is about someone being UNHAPPY with a situation, and taking things into their own hands

in the liberal world where "all is fair and wonderful", the people who "FEEL" left out of the elite liberal way, tend to take things to a way of voilence

whats next, will obozo direct the CDC to find out why blacks tend to commit more rape....????

hmmmm

Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The full 15-page document of recommendations from the White House is here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa..._time_full.pdf
funny thing is obamacare UNDERFUNDS/(barely addressses it) mental health

and unless it is a mental issue, a doctor HAS NO BUSINESS asking about ANY type of weapons

Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Pure conjecture.

It will be noted in your secret chart.

Dr. van Nostrum and Elaine - YouTube

Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Reason for outrage? Some lawmakers say this is "tyrannical".

Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
None of these 23 would have prevented the shooting at Newtown. I thought there were already backround checks and waiting times for getting a gun.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
Quote:
Pure conjecture.

You need to be adjudicated as a 'mental defective' to fall under the federal firearms prohibition. Typically, that means that a court has found you to be mentally ill or incompetent. The process of being declared mentally defective typically consists of a motion for a competency hearing, a psychiatric evaluation and then a competency hearing. So there is both a clinical component, and due process of law.

I think you're really really really confused about what is being proposed.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
None of these 23 would have prevented the shooting at Newtown. I thought there were already backround checks and waiting times for getting a gun.
there is almost EVERY STATE has background checks for handguns and longrifles...many even for shotguns

Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
"Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system"

I wonder exactly what they deem as "unnecessary" HIPPA barriers? I guess whatever they want. There is no more privacy as big brother has just made an end run on us all and nobody cares because it's for the children bla bla bla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies