Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 09:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,731,874 times

Advertisements

It is way too easy to read the 2nd Amendment and understand exactly what it means and had meant, until the end of the Civil War. A war, where the 2nd amendment came into full play, as it was intended to be.
The people's Militias of the South, were armed the same as the Union Military. Same weapons at the start and the people of the South, invented the rifled barrel and the mini-ball and multiple fire chambers, allowing a much smaller force, to defeat much bigger forces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 09:32 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,002,648 times
" The recent bills that the Dems wanted to push through congress about no fly lists was not an all out ban, and it only affected a very small % of the population yet it got blasted down by a GOP congress. I thought it was a compromise - a start."

I see. You are willing to take rights away from people based on their name(s) appearing on some government list. No "due process" as guaranteed by the Constitution, no conviction of any kind, just take away their Constitutional rights because somebody put them on a list!
Not only that, you are willing to see a law passed that is blatantly unconstitutional, and will undoubtedly be taken all the way to the Supreme Court, costing the taxpayers of this country millions of dollars in attorney fees. Once the law is challenged, it will never go into effect until the Supreme Court rules on the Constitutionality of denying rights without due process.
Is there really any doubt about how SCOTUS would have to rule on the issue?

I really do not understand how any concerned United States citizen would want such a law passed!

Old 07-02-2016, 09:34 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,279,566 times
The interpretation of 2A has changed a number of times through the years depending on the political climate and the makeup of SCOTUS. The current interpretation is due for an overhaul, and I doubt it will be too long after the election before the makeup of the court is going to change dramatically. The rulings they produce will set the climate for the next fifty years.

The laws that Jerry Brown just signed in California are well within 2A, and are compatible with Scalia's writing in the last major case brought before SCOTUS, the Heller decision of 2008. Get used to change. It's coming.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:39 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is way too easy to read the 2nd Amendment and understand exactly what it means and had meant, until the end of the Civil War. A war, where the 2nd amendment came into full play, as it was intended to be.
The people's Militias of the South, were armed the same as the Union Military. Same weapons at the start and the people of the South, invented the rifled barrel and the mini-ball and multiple fire chambers, allowing a much smaller force, to defeat much bigger forces.
Uuuh, more revisionist history perhaps?:

Barrel rifling was invented in Augsburg, Germany at the end of the fifteenth century.[5] In 1520 August Kotter, an armourer of Nuremberg, Germany improved upon this work. Though true rifling dates from the mid-16th century, it did not become commonplace until the nineteenth century.

The concept of stabilizing the flight of a projectile by spinning it was known in the days of bows and arrows, but early firearms using black powder had difficulty with rifling because of the fouling left behind by the combustion of the powder. The most successful weapons using rifling with black powder were breech loaders such as the 1760's Queen Anne pistol.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_...e_IMG_3172.jpg

The first guns with multichambered cylinders that revolved to feed one barrel were made in the late 16th century in Europe. They were expensive and rare curiosities. Not until the 19th century would revolvers become common weapons of industrial production. One of the first was a flintlock revolver patented by Elisha Collier in 1814. The first percussion revolver was made by Lenormand of Paris in 1820[1] and the first percussion cap revolver was invented by the Italian Francesco Antonio Broccu in 1833. He received a prize of 300 francs for his invention; although he did not patent it, his revolver was shown to King Charles Albert of Sardinia. However, in 1835 a similar handgun was patented by Samuel Colt, who would go on to make the first mass-produced revolver.

The first cartridge revolvers were produced around 1854 by Eugene Lefaucheux.

The Minié ball, or Minie ball, is a type of muzzle-loading spin-stabilized rifle bullet named after its co-developer, Claude-Étienne Minié, inventor of the Minié rifle. It came to prominence in the Crimean War and American Civil War..The precursor to the Minié ball was created in 1848 by the French Army captains Montgomery and Henri-Gustave Delvigne. Their design was made to allow rapid muzzle loading of rifles, an innovation that brought about the widespread use of the rifle rather than the smoothbore musket as a mass battlefield weapon. Delvigne had invented a ball that could expand upon ramming to fit the grooves of a rifle in 1826.[1] The design of the ball had been proposed in 1832 as the cylindro-conoidal bullet by Captain John Norton,[2] but had not been adopted.

"Adopting" is not the same thing as "inventing".

Just say'n.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,731,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The interpretation of 2A has changed a number of times through the years depending on the political climate and the makeup of SCOTUS. The current interpretation is due for an overhaul, and I doubt it will be too long after the election before the makeup of the court is going to change dramatically. The rulings they produce will set the climate for the next fifty years.

The laws that Jerry Brown just signed in California are well within 2A, and are compatible with Scalia's writing in the last major case brought before SCOTUS, the Heller decision of 2008. Get used to change. It's coming.

What is to interpret?

It is very straight forward.
What has changed is the meaning of the constitution. It was intended to chain down government, not chain down people.

The Bill of Rights is not for government to reinterpret. It is there to prevent government from trying to redefine it.
And when all peaceful means to keep government from intruding on the Bill of Rights, the 2nd amendment stands as the final solution to maintain a free state. To organize and fight for liberty again, as outlined in the preceding document to the US. Constitution... The Declaration of Independence.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:43 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,301,813 times
From what I can tell, with two sides being so far apart, status quo will win anyways as the stalemate will ensue, and issues with guns will continue. People kill, not guns. Right to bear arms.

From my viewpoint it's a sad debate. The argument can be twisted any way you see fit. But I sit here and still believe there is a real problem with guns in this country, and that hanging on to an amendment written centuries ago in a different world naive and old school backwards thinking. There is work to be done, and it seems only one side wants forward movement. I do not agree with all of the gun control advocates and their methodologies, just as I don't believe in the NRA and gun activists standing on their platforms.

I'll just continue to read news of senseless gun crimes and deaths with not enough work being done by both sides for change. Based on the 2nd amendment, arm all citizens with guns for vigilante justice. Or take away all guns and things will be better. Until both sides stop thinking the extremes of the argument is all that exists, then stalemate it will be.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
From what I can tell, with two sides being so far apart, status quo will win anyways as the stalemate will ensue, and issues with guns will continue. People kill, not guns. Right to bear arms.

From my viewpoint it's a sad debate. The argument can be twisted any way you see fit. But I sit here and still believe there is a real problem with guns in this country, and that hanging on to an amendment written centuries ago in a different world naive and old school backwards thinking. There is work to be done, and it seems only one side wants forward movement. I do not agree with all of the gun control advocates and their methodologies, just as I don't believe in the NRA and gun activists standing on their platforms.

I'll just continue to read news of senseless gun crimes and deaths with not enough work being done by both sides for change. Based on the 2nd amendment, arm all citizens with guns for vigilante justice. Or take away all guns and things will be better. Until both sides stop thinking the extremes of the argument is all that exists, then stalemate it will be.
It is just my humble opinion, but I believe you to be representative of the majority of Americans who are tired beyond belief of the intransigent, disparate and immovable positions struck on this issue.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:00 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,748,515 times
Human freedom or human slavery. Natural human rights or only government "privileges"....there is no compromise to be made...

There are those who wish to be slaves (or make other people their personal slaves through government force) and those who wish to be free.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:32 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,611,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
the 2nd amendment stands as the final solution to maintain a free state..
This is only a theory, which hasn't been proven.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:46 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,480,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Where are these "numerous examples of self-proclaimed 'militia' and paramilitary types choosing to shoot first at law enforcement" ?

A quick google search turns up little other than Bundys and the Oregon man who was shot while allegedly reaching in his pocket for a gun, which some witnesses disagree with.
Yes, due to its 'popularity' a quick google search will indeed overwhelmingly turn up references to the recent Mahleur standoff and Lavoy Finicum. Here's some examples of what I referred to:

Kentucky Militia Member Opens Fire During Traffic Stop

A look inside the lives of shooters Jerad Miller, Amanda Miller - Las Vegas Sun News

Liberty News » BREAKING: Police Apprehend Eric Frein, Accused Killer of Pennsylvania State Trooper

Man attempts to take over Forsyth County Courthouse - CBS46 News

Deadly Arkansas Shooting By Sovereign Citizens Jerry Kane and Joseph Kane - ABC News

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_P...lice_shootings

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...fied/19446091/

Here also are some examples of plots that were interrupted before they were carried out:

Militia members charged with police-killing plot | cleveland.com

Militia members charged in '241' plot to kill judge, troopers - Alaska Dispatch News

5 more charged in anti-government militia plot linked to Fort Stewart - CNN.com

FBI: Men planned guerilla war against federal agencies - Rome News-Tribune: Local
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies