Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, the rash of mass shootings in this country increased significantly in the last 18 years because of the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
Can you provide a link to the research that proves the GFSZ act of 95 caused the increase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
And the increase in the "rashes of mass shootings" is a justifiable reason to carry a side arm and a long gun when going out in public for personal business. No matter what you keep telling yourself there is no way in h3ll a cop can be everywhere and protect you from a madman on a shooting rampage if you happen to be at a location one decides to target. There isn't even enough military personnel to cover all the places or people that could become victims of a madman or other criminal element. It is ultimately your responsibility to defend yourself. If you choose to be a defenseless victim and rely on the police to protect you, then you do so at your own risk.

Best of luck to you but I will choose to remain armed and if the threat level in my state gets to the point where I feel the need to carry a long gun, you can bet your ass I will not hesitate to sling my loaded AR-15 over my shoulder with 4 spare 30 round mags in a mag pouch on my hip.

As it happens I live in a "right to carry" and "right to defend" state so the crime is extremely low and 90% of the adult population is armed and many love to hunt.
I understand no one can (or should) have 24/7/365 police protection. But I still do not agree with the actions of the man in the OP. I think it was a stupid, immature and irresponsible way to prove a point.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Explain that to the victims of Columbine, VA Tech, and Newtown.

Schools are being targeted by nut-jobs specifically because of the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995. Their blood is on the hands of the anti-gun fascists as a result of that imbecilic law.
What a ridiculous claim. Harris and Klebold targeted Columbine specifically because of the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995? lol

I have two very good friends who were at Columbine that day (one was the 2001 valedictorian). I'll run that nonsense by them at our next book-club meeting and see what they think.

And the fact still remains that mass killings in the US have been dropping since they peaked in the early 90s.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,148,043 times
Another Jackwagon who thinks he is helping the situation and makes it worse. It does nothing to help gun owners to wave an AR around. Man I wish the NRA would step up and say people quit being idiots.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Explain that to the victims of Columbine, VA Tech, and Newtown.

Schools are being targeted by nut-jobs specifically because of the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995. Their blood is on the hands of the anti-gun fascists as a result of that imbecilic law.
They had armed guards at both VA Tech and Columbine.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Per the CDC, the firearms homicide rate is 3.6 per 100,000 people, the lowest it's been since 1981. I'd say that's fairly good proof that the firearms homicide rate is decreasing.
I don't kn ow what the number was in 1981 but since 2001 there has been a slight decrease but it has always been above 11,000, I wouldn't read to much into a variation of a few hundred one way or the other. I expect there may be some changes with gun sales at historical highs, many people that are unqualified buying guns so we will see.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 AM

29 posts, read 55,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
Actually NOTHING has changed in the history of violence in this country, what has changed is the way you receive that information. You used to only hear about violence on page 5 of the C section of your local news paper. Now the best stories in the eyes of the 7 major TV network owners cram the sh*t down our throats 24/7 and sensationalize the stories until people get sick of hearing it.

Like this crap with Mateo and Lance Armstrong, Who gives a sh*t if Mateo was in a fake relationship, what does that have to do with his ability to perform on the field during a game? And as far as Lance is concerned, He passed ALL of his drug tests so obviously he wasn't doping to the point that it was above the normal body production rates. And neither story has anything to do with the state of affairs of this nation.

Turn off your TV and go back to reading the paper and you will once again become oblivious to national criminal activity and violence.
Awesome post!!! I am so tired of the media and their exploits. And reality television...

Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Another Jackwagon who thinks he is helping the situation and makes it worse. It does nothing to help gun owners to wave an AR around. Man I wish the NRA would step up and say people quit being idiots.
Yep. I agree.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What a ridiculous claim. Harris and Klebold targeted Columbine specifically because of the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995? lol

I have two very good friends who were at Columbine that day (one was the 2001 valedictorian). I'll run that nonsense by them at our next book-club meeting and see what they think.

And the fact still remains that mass killings in the US have been dropping since they peaked in the early 90s.
My regards to your friend. I agree totally.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-24-2013, 04:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Honestly, I do believe we need more people open carrying. slung over your shoulder. Particularly an unloaded one.
So do I. I hope it becomes a fad nationwide to educate people (to include police) about our constitutional rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies