Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should every single US citizen who owns a firearm be required to have it registered with the federal
Yes 16 30.19%
No 37 69.81%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM

326 posts, read 470,691 times

Advertisements

From what I have originally heard about Al Gore in the 2000 election, he would have made it mandatory for every single citizen in the united states who owns a gun or firearm to have it registered with the federal authorities. Unfortunately, we have Bush and Cheney in office, and not only is it not mandatory to register a firearm with the federal authorities, but during their entire terms, violent crime rates, particularly those commited with guns, are skyrocketing all over the nation. I wonder if anyone has any comment on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
I don't see a problem with it. Criminals won't register theirs but it may be easier to track who's supplying criminals with their guns. That would be a good thing.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I would like to see your so called stats on violent crime sky rocketing. I haven't seen any figures that showed that.

There's no reason to register guns. Matter of fact, it's currently illegal I believe. Fed Gov cannot keep records of gun purchases for more then a short period of time.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:46 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I went ahead and looked up the stats on violent crime using guns. I don't think Al Gore's ideas on Gun Registration would change these stats.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Characteristics (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cvict_c.htm - broken link)
Since 1994, violent crime rates have declined, reaching the lowest level ever recorded in 2005.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Firearms and Crime Statistics (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm - broken link)
Firearm-related crime has plummeted since 1993, then slightly increased in 2005.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
As a Canadian, my answer is an emphatic NO!

When our gun laws became stricter in the 1990's with our new registry, many gun owners simply turned in their collections instead of registering them.

Some of the police stations taking in these guns had crooked cops who sold many of these turned-in weapons and we saw a spike in gun-violence almost immediately!

I do not know what the stats are, but it seemed like gun-violence at least doubled in the Toronto area. It took a few years before anyone caught on to those crooked cops.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
I don't get why people think gun control will work. Handguns are illegal in DC, does that mean that there are no hand guns in DC? HELL NO. It just means honest citizens can't own one to protect themselves. When the Brady bill was still in effect Assault rifles were illegal to buy but criminals stills got the. It just doesn't make sense that a national registry would solve anything. Switzerland has a very low crime rate, as does Israel (whith the exception of terrorism which is a whole different bag), and everyone has an uzi in there house in those countries.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:25 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I don't get why people think gun control will work. Handguns are illegal in DC, does that mean that there are no hand guns in DC? HELL NO. It just means honest citizens can't own one to protect themselves. When the Brady bill was still in effect Assault rifles were illegal to buy but criminals stills got the. It just doesn't make sense that a national registry would solve anything. Switzerland has a very low crime rate, as does Israel (whith the exception of terrorism which is a whole different bag), and everyone has an uzi in there house in those countries.
I once had a conversation with one of our lawmakers in DC - I suggested that the death rate by gunfire was outrageous, that I supported his gun ban, and while they were at it, they should make it illegal to kill people.
He sputtered, turned red and stalked away.
Wonder what his problem was?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:26 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
I once had a conversation with one of our lawmakers in DC - I suggested that the death rate by gunfire was outrageous, that I supported his gun ban, and while they were at it, they should make it illegal to kill people.
He sputtered, turned red and stalked away.
HAHAHAHA

OUTSTANDING, Irvm.

*thinking a minute* Did your suggested measure eventually pass?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:33 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
You battered him with a logical question. Politicians don't do logical.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
From what I have originally heard about Al Gore in the 2000 election, he would have made it mandatory for every single citizen in the united states who owns a gun or firearm to have it registered with the federal authorities. Unfortunately, we have Bush and Cheney in office, and not only is it not mandatory to register a firearm with the federal authorities, but during their entire terms, violent crime rates, particularly those commited with guns, are skyrocketing all over the nation. I wonder if anyone has any comment on this.
There you go again..starting with "what I have heard"..
First.. Clinton and Gore, never made it mandatory when they were in office, and Clinton the 2nd, (i.e. Hillary) isnt proposing such garbage either.

As for violent crime rates skyrocketing all over the nation, wtf did you get such nonsense? Violent crimes have dropped substantially year after year since 1995.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Violent Crime Rate Trends (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.htm - broken link)

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.gif (broken link) [D]

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ontheroad; 10-20-2007 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Personal attack not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies