Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I think the Rooney Rule does a great disservice to potential black coaching candidates. How sad is that and a waste of time, not to mention degrading to the black person who knows he isn't going to get the job, but is only there because the team is required to interview a minority candidate? It should be that the best candidate should get the job, regardless of skin color.
But that also means that if there were no Rooney Rule, no black coaching candidates would even get interviewed, much less hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Do you have any real reason to believe this? This past hiring season (January) tells me that you are very much wrong.

You don't have to live here.

Pointing out the truth is "race baiting?" You can't tell me that there were not many coaches, i.e. Lovie Smith, who weren't qualified to get hired? Smit went 10-6 and was fired, and didn't get a job, while Andy Reid went 4-12 and was scooped up immediately. Nothing more than the old boy network.
You sound like the Sandy Hook "truthers".

"We have questions, and we want them answered" LOL!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,898 times
Quote:
Funny you mentioned Norv, as he is now the new offensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. I think as a head coach he was horrible, and I've always said if you want to destroy your team or doom it to mediocrity then hire Norv as your head coach. As an offensive coordinator, I think he does an outstanding job, and I am excited and optimistic about him being in Cleveland, and cannot wait to see the new scheme! Anything is better than what we saw here with Pat Shurmer and his BS 3 yard pass plays on 3rd and long, or mismanagement of the game clock!

Same with Mike Holmgren. Great coach. Horrible GM, and team president.
Yeah, Shurmer was pretty bad. Norv is a good coordinator at best. You guys got a good future with Richardson at RB and I believe weeden will turn out to be solid. My whole family is originally from the NE Ohio area so I grew up on the Browns when Kosar was QB. Now if only the Browns could reincarnate Sam Rutigliano Blanton Collier or especially Paul Brown at coach

Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
But that also means that if there were no Rooney Rule, no black coaching candidates would even get interviewed, much less hired.

Oh bull****!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Part of it is the recent trend in the NFL towards building offensive focused teams. Black coaches are far more likely to rise through the ranks on the defensive side. For some reason black offensive coaches (generally rb and wr coaches... rarely qb or oline coahes) have a hard time rising up to OC positions. Again, I think this has to do with the fact that thanks to the NFL rules protecting the QB's, teams are now moving towards heavy passing attack offenses... with the two most important positions being QB and Oline, predominately led by white coaches.

So while I don't think this is some racist conspiracy to not hire black head coaches, (has more to do with the shift in playing style in the NFL) I do think it couldn't hurt to look at reasons why black offensive assistant coaches have a hard time moving up the ladder to OC and HC positions.
I don't see a blatantly racist conspiracy either, but it is hard to fathom how no black coach could break the pattern of same old white retreads.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Funny you mentioned Norv, as he is now the new offensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. I think as a head coach he was horrible, and I've always said if you want to destroy your team or doom it to mediocrity then hire Norv as your head coach. As an offensive coordinator, I think he does an outstanding job, and I am excited and optimistic about him being in Cleveland, and cannot wait to see the new scheme! Anything is better than what we saw here with Pat Shurmer and his BS 3 yard pass plays on 3rd and long, or mismanagement of the game clock!

Same with Mike Holmgren. Great coach. Horrible GM, and team president.
And then he gets hired to be OC in Philly. *shudder*

Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Yeah, Shurmer was pretty bad. Norv is a good coordinator at best. You guys got a good future with Richardson at RB and I believe weeden will turn out to be solid. My whole family is originally from the NE Ohio area so I grew up on the Browns when Kosar was QB. Now if only the Browns could reincarnate Sam Rutigliano Blanton Collier or especially Paul Brown at coach

Right on! Paul Brown, and Blanton Collier were a bit before my time. I was a bit young during Sam Rutigliano Kardiac Kid years, but I do remember when he was fired in 1984 and replaced by Marty Schottenheimer. 1985 was the start of the Bernie Kosar years, and from 1985 to 1989 those were my fondest memories of the Cleveland Browns, as they were right there within reach...until... John Elway came along (the BASTARD!).... At any rate, the electricity in NE Ohio was unbelieveable during that time, and I hope we are finally on our way back!

I think Richardson was a good pick. We didn't get to see his full potential given that he missed the whole pre-season with having his knee scoped, and then playing with that nagging rib injury. As for Weeden. I feel he was a bit of a reach, and is the pick that got Tom Heckert fired regardless of the change of ownership. If you're drafting a 28 year old rookie, it had better be a slam dunk. The jury is still out on him. But, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to see what he does in his 2nd year. Given that we now have a true offensive minded coach with a solid offensive coordinator, I expect big things from Weeden and the rest of the offense this year.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Oh bull****!
Really?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
There are definetly not enough black men in professional sports.
In coaching or front office roles, definitely not.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
And then he gets hired to be OC in Philly. *shudder*

Hope they enjoy that type of offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies