Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Who said anything about doing that? You should join the logical side of this conversation.
It's city data forums, so many people respond ina fashion which really makes you wonder if they are responding to the right threads. Confusing, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Liberals mock and insult everyone who does not hold thier orthodox view.

That is the natural state of the liberal mind.

They do it in the name of diversity.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
FYI - I'm not the person you were replying to earlier but I'm sure that doesn't matter to you. No, I'm not a racist.

Are you a racist or a bigot?
Oh ok. No, I'm not. But the person I was responding to earlier doesn't wish to respond. At least you did. Henceforth, I expect you to express yourself as a non-racist.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
At least you did. Henceforth, I expect you to express yourself as a non-racist.
Henceforth I will keep posting like I always have.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Henceforth I will keep posting like I always have.
Then henceforth I will call you on it when you henceforth proceed to exhibit racism.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
I'm pretty liberal on some issues. I think being prepared is a good thing. Since I had a child, I've started to get interested in being prepared for natural disasters and man made disasters. Better safe, than sorry.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
a very important characteristic of the liberals. they have no problem with censor , as long as they are not on the receiving end. they also have no problem with discimination and exploitation - for the same reason.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Well, I'm definitely right of center and I live in a somewhat rural area of Texas. I've lived my entire life in areas along the gulf coast that are to some degree prone to hurricanes or tropical storms. We prepare for those types of natural disasters just like you do, generator, gasoline, drinking water, food, etc etc etc. In addition to that we prepare for the social aftermath of a disaster like we're talking about above. Katrina was a perfect example of what I prepare for. In addition to preparing for the storm itself we prepare for the people who aren't prepared and get desperate. We prepare for looters and thieves, something that is fairly common after a storm.

I'm not preparing for alien invasion, the return of christ or anything else like that. I do however prepare for civil unrest which I've personally seen take place a couple times in my life due to natural and non-natural events that have taken place.
Point taken.

We are far enough away from a major population center that it is out of the question that anyone would make their way to our place seeking shelter or food. Although if any of our neighbors were in trouble we would take them in in a heartbeat. Most people up here know how to take care of themselves after an ice storm lays the grid to waste so even that isn't too likely.

I think if we thought raging hoards would come after us we'd see it exactly as you do.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I live in far northern Italy, far north enough for it to be considered "Central Europe." I remember the first time I went out into the countryside here, and I was struck by how tightly packed the villages were. That includes the remotest villages where the only people who commute do so to a larger village that has a factory or a restaurant or something. The houses in many cases are connected similar to what we Americans would term "duplexes", and these are centuries old houses built of hand-hewed stone. A couple hundred people live on a patch of land that would hold maybe nine or ten large-lot McMansions on the outskirts of Dallas. These are hardworking country folk who work the land, either full time or in order to supplement their blue collar income or just because it's what they do.

In rural America you have the "homestead", where there's a lone house surrounded by a whole lot of nothing. This is one reason we have such a gun-owning tradition: out there you're on your own, especially back in the 19th and 18th centuries when law enforcement might be several hours away by horse. The only European country I can think of that has a similar tradition is Norway. Back in Viking times you had the lone homestead, and if and when some rival clan you were feuding with showed up, everyone from the man of the house to 12 year old slave girls would have to pick up a sword, spear, axe, hoe, whatever, and defend the house. Whereas the Swedes of that same age lived in villages. It probably had to do with the terrain.

In these villages, if a pack of thugs were beating on your door, dozens of neighbors wielding farm implements (and maybe some squirreled-away WWII-era ordinance) would come spilling out in a jiffy. If there were a fire or some other big emergency in the wee hours of the night, you would sprint to the village church (which would take about half a minute), go inside and ring the bell. The entire village would be roused in a minute. I haven't seen that happen but I've had it described to me by people who have.

They've had this way of life for countless centuries. In rural America you'd have to build it from scratch. Yeah, neighbor helps neighbor in much of rural America, but they're often too far away to hear you scream.
Exactly. If you want to do it right then you really do need a whole community.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Exactly. If you want to do it right then you really do need a whole community.
What if a large portion of the "community" isn't willing or interested in preparing for anything? In my world my community is my street, I'm in a somewhat rural area but certainly not out in the sticks where the homes are 40 miles apart. There are maybe 24 homes on my street, they're on 10 - 90 acre plots of land and most are fenced in for cows, horses, sheep, whatever the high school kids are showing for 4H.

I know my neighbors extremely well, the 5 homes that are close enough to me to matter are all occupied by like-minded people who take security seriously and are prepared to defend their homes against whatever might show up. I have no doubt that they would come to my aid and I would come to theirs, we've all talked about this before. I would really hate to be the fool who broke into my home and tried to get away because once my alarm goes off there's no getting out of the street without going through a roadblock of people looking out for my family.

On the other hand there are a few homes on our street which are occupied by liberal individuals who I'm sure have no desire to plan like we do. I feel no need to help these people, they won't even help themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies