Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
and most school/college kids/moviegoers don't get shot by psycho killers either, so why all the hysteria from the left on guns? It's a long-held agenda - Sandyhook is being used by the Libs, playing on peoples present emotions of the situation - to push their agenda - this is totally shameful.

Te left is just an angry and emotional lot that wants everything to go their way, and when it doesn't they have hissy fits. Temper tantrums like a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM

308 posts, read 398,435 times
Quote:
I want to ban assault weapons
...mainly because of the way they look, and because of the emotional impact of something happening close to you, while you disregard the emotional impact of something happening elsewhere.

A modern sporting rifle would have allowed for better shot placement and better recoil management, and the high capacity magazine means the mother in question could have successfully engaged all four invaders if need be, without worrying about fumbling a magazine switch. Fortunately all that was required in this case was one shot.

The very characteristics which makes certain firearms suitable for personal defense also make them suitable for atrocious acts by people who should have been locked up. They share this trait with a number of other inanimate objects.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM

19,638 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
...mainly because of the way they look, and because of the emotional impact of something happening close to you, while you disregard the emotional impact of something happening elsewhere.

A modern sporting rifle would have allowed for better shot placement and better recoil management, and the high capacity magazine means the mother in question could have successfully engaged all four invaders if need be, without worrying about fumbling a magazine switch. Fortunately all that was required in this case was one shot.

The very characteristics which makes certain firearms suitable for personal defense also make them suitable for atrocious acts by people who should have been locked up. They share this trait with a number of other inanimate objects.
Correct, and I believe a semi-auto rifle is a superior defense weapon for women and the disabled who might have difficulty handling a shotgun or larger pistol.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
What compromise would you suggest?

You want to stop gay marriage-- something that harms no one.

I want to ban assault weapons-- a factor in the death of 20 children and 6 teacher here in Connecticut 6 weeks ago.

Please explain your ridiculous equivocation.
Doesn't your state already have as "assault weapon" ban?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Correct, and I believe a semi-auto rifle is a superior defense weapon for women and the disabled who might have difficulty handling a shotgun or larger pistol.
I agree with this, which is why we have the semi-auto rifle, fully loaded with 15 rounds, ready - it's easy for my wife to use in the event criminals try to break into our house. Do I think this would happen? Not likely, not likely at all - - but one never knows for sure - it happend to this poor woman.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I agree with this, which is why we have the semi-auto rifle, fully loaded with 15 rounds, ready - it's easy for my wife to use in the event criminals try to break into our house. Do I think this would happen? Not likely, not likely at all - - but one never knows for sure - it happend to this poor woman.
Pshaaaaww! My Tommy Gun had a clip that never ran out of bullets, well until my mom called me in for dinner.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Pshaaaaww! My Tommy Gun had a clip that never ran out of bullets, well until my mom called me in for dinner.
with a response like that, you belong on Eric Holder's watch list.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
These posts like the OP are curious. They are obviously posted to counteract the anti-gun bias of many other posts. However, most gun owners AND folks who don't own guns go through life without any incident at all.
While very true, why does that matter?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post

I actually have a M1921Thomas trench broom/organ grinder, that has been handed down 3 generations.
My Great Grand Father, brought it back from WW-1
Best thing is, it takes the same cartridge as my 1911

Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Originally Posted by geofra
These posts like the OP are curious. They are obviously posted to counteract the anti-gun bias of many other posts. However, most gun owners AND folks who don't own guns go through life without any incident at all.

And that is the way law abiding gun owners want it. Without any incidents at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies