Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
People who are 65+ who have been smoking for 40+ years? Well, they must DEAD already, have lung cancer already, OR will be dying sooner rather than later of SOMETHING.

As another poster said, a 71 who quits might live 3 months longer!!!!!!! At what age does it reach the point when it becomes just plain silly to penalize someone for smoking? If they have reached their 70s, or 80s (impossible?), leave them ALONE.
I knew a smoker that moved off our block and he was early 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Welp, for you with the attitude of " that's RIGHT tax the s*** OUT of those evil smokers" think about this.....

One of the first thing Obama did was raise a $1 tax on cigarettes. That extra tax went to funding kids care or something. When all the smokers quit who do you think is going to take up the slack for paying for that program? You are....ba ha ha!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Didn't see this covered in a search of this forum, so I'll assume it is a new topic.

Millions of smokers could be priced out of health insurance because of tobacco penalties in President Obama’s health-care law, according to experts who are just now teasing out the potential impact of a little-noted provision in the massive legislation.

The Affordable Care Act allows health insurers to charge smokers buying individual policies up to 50 percent higher premiums starting Jan. 1, 2014.

For a 55-year-old smoker, the penalty could reach nearly $4,250 annually. A 60-year-old could wind up paying nearly $5,100 on top of premiums.

Obamacare allows steep surcharge for smokers | TribLIVE
As a former smoker, who still longs to take a long, relaxed drag off a cigarette every time I see one, I'm torn by this. It was a very fun habit. I loved it. I can't lie. Smoking has a wonderful effect nothing else does: if one is stressed by something, it has the ability to clear one's mind, make one sharp, and ease anxiety, all at the same time. It's a great drug!

But cigarettes are incredibly DEADLY. Few products we are exposed to, eat, breathe, or drink, have the huge number of additives, most of them carcinogenic, and which destroy the body's cells, from the brain, to the heart, to the kidneys, skin, everything - EVERY PART OF THE BODY IS DAMAGED BY CIGARETTE ADDITIVES.

Here's a list of the 599 cigarette additives.

List of additives in cigarettes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These days, despite my desire to take a smoke, I stay away from smokers, not because of the temptation, but because breathing in fumes from cigarettes is like smoking them.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
As a former smoker, who still longs to take a long, relaxed drag off a cigarette every time I see one, I'm torn by this. It was a very fun habit. I loved it. I can't lie. Smoking has a wonderful effect nothing else does: if one is stressed by something, it has the ability to clear one's mind, make one sharp, and ease anxiety, all at the same time. It's a great drug!

But cigarettes are incredibly DEADLY. Few products we are exposed to, eat, breathe, or drink, have the huge number of additives, most of them carcinogenic, and which destroy the body's cells, from the brain, to the heart, to the kidneys, skin, everything - EVERY PART OF THE BODY IS DAMAGED BY CIGARETTE ADDITIVES.

Here's a list of the 599 cigarette additives.

List of additives in cigarettes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These days, despite my desire to take a smoke, I stay away from smokers, not because of the temptation, but because breathing in fumes from cigarettes is like smoking them.

I recently tried a electronic cigarette and am thinking about switching to those. Water vapor and nicotine, that's it.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
THIS ALREADY EXISTS!

What you Obama-haters seem to conveniently forget is that this is exactly how our current healthcare system works: those who smoke pay more for insurance. It makes sense, right? After all, aren't conservatives the ones who promote personal responsibility? Since smokers cost us all more in higher healthcare costs, then they SHOULD bear the brunt of higher premiums! If anything, you Republinuts should be cheering this aspect of Obamacare.
You would think. Oh wait, did I say "think?" Silly me.

I'm willing to bet that this, like so much of the ACA, originated with the Heritage Foundation.
Ha.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I recently tried a electronic cigarette and am thinking about switching to those. Water vapor and nicotine, that's it.
My boyfriend tried it and though it took him a little while, he now really likes electronic cigarettes. He has them in his house, his job, his car. I don't know if those have additives in addition to nicotine. Maybe not. I have to look it up.

You know how we smokers love the whole routine of holding the cigarette, having it in our hand, the process of inhaling, etc? I'm such a lunatic - I LOVE that part! It's a whole routine that is quite pleasurable. Well, apparently the electronic cigarette helps with that a lot!! The only problem my bf found with it is that it has a LOT of nicotine and can hit your brain with a bang and make you giddy lol

If you try it, let me know how it goes for you.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Where does the slippery slope end? First you hate smokers because you say they cost you money on health. After you eliminate them next there will the soda drinkers. Then the fast food people, then the alcohol drinkers, then the coffee drinkers. Then the candy eaters.

We all will be left with just brocoli , water and fruit juice and fish just to get health insurance.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
My boyfriend tried it and though it took him a little while, he now really likes electronic cigarettes. He has them in his house, his job, his car. I don't know if those have additives in addition to nicotine. Maybe not. I have to look it up.

You know how we smokers love the whole routine of holding the cigarette, having it in our hand, the process of inhaling, etc? I'm such a lunatic - I LOVE that part! It's a whole routine that is quite pleasurable. Well, apparently the electronic cigarette helps with that a lot!! The only problem my bf found with it is that it has a LOT of nicotine and can hit your brain with a bang and make you giddy lol

If you try it, let me know how it goes for you.

Let me tell you I am a worry wart and a deep thinker and cigs help balance me out mentally but after 30 years of smoking when you go to have sex or carry a large box and get winded out too early you start re-thinking it.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Just another Obamaland stealth tax. No surprise there.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Let me tell you I am a worry wart and a deep thinker and cigs help balance me out mentally but after 30 years of smoking when you go to have sex or carry a large box and get winded out too early you start re-thinking it.
I know what you mean. I love them but worry about health. I've seen too many people get sick from them. You have no idea how much I wish cigarettes were good for me. I'd be smoking one right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies