Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Not enough.

There needs to be education and not about how sex is done, the sperm and the ovum, etc. There needs to be education about:

The gigantic cost of raising a child
The drawbacks for the MOTHER in having children, or too many children (ways in which it will set her back)
The positives (including what options for getting ahead) the MOTHER
Discussions with women who have gone through this, and how it proved detrimental.
The problems inherent in raising a child in poverty
The result (for the child) of raising a child in poverty
How men are usually NOT there for helping to raise the child.

That's not being taught in schools.
These are not adults you are dealing with but children, 14-16 years old.
The bodies are maturing earlier but not the minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
These are not adults you are dealing with but children, 14-16 years old.
The bodies are maturing earlier but not the minds.
I know. I remember in high school when a cheerleader who was dating a guy in the football team got pregnant. She was slowly losing him to another girl. He thought it was cool beans to have sex with her unprotected, and she thought it'd be great if she got pregnant because he'd stay with her. He didn't stay with her.

Guys need to be taught to stop pushing girls to have sex. That, for starters. Second, they need to be taught that if they're going to have sex (and they shouldn't), they need to use condoms.

Girls need to be taught that men are going to push for sex all the time until they take their last breath and are put in the ground. Once females understand that, they'll be less likely to spread their legs for them.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
In Illinois 54% of all babies are born on Medicaid and huge percentage of those are illegals but also a huge percentage are those who live in the hood. So basically we are paying for those who choose not to work or get married. The welfare system here is generous as well and pays for everything.

In a few generations the USA will consist almost entirely on lazy people while the few tax payers pay more in taxes.
There WILL be a tipping point...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
It's not enough to merely stop rewarding these parasites. They must be actively discouraged. Illegals apprehended committing pregnancy should be flogged on the first offense and hanged if they dare to do it again.
Nah, deportation is fine.

If they can't be deported until after the birth, deport them then and charge Mexico for the medical bills.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah..POOR Americans on medicaid having children they cannot afford.
If you are poor and dependent on the government wouldn't you think twice before becoming pregnant ?
Of course not. Uncle Sugar (the government) pays for everything and the more kids they have, the better the freebie benefits.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
There obviously needs to be better education and I'm not talking about teaching Shakespeare. A lot ofg this happens to people who (I hate to say this) don't have life know-how.

There need to be classes taught on the cost of children
They don't care about costs. They get it all for free. PLUS they get freebies every month... food stamps, Medicaid, housing, utility bills, free cell phones...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's really not as though these women and girls don't know where babies come from. They also know the very easiest way to get on welfare handouts and live the easy life never having to worry about working for a living is to have babies. They're very educated about the welfare handouts babies bring. That's the problem.
Yep. Public Service Announcement from a recording artist...

Chapter - It's Free Swipe Yo EBT (Clean) - YouTube

Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
I'm with you 100%. Teaching how awful it will be for the mother if she has kids when she cannot afford it, is clearly not enough. There need to be programs (educational, for ex.) providing options for the mother, not just how to adopt and that stuff, but what the mother can do to get ahead IF she doesn't have a child.

There needs to be women out communities who understand that the "typical role" of women pumping out children is detrimental to the mother, and that "making a man proud" or "getting a man" or "keeping a man" by having his child, has a horrific payoff and how it never works that way anyway.

It's a super-complex issue, you're so right.
It is super-complex. One of the biggest deterrents to change is the fact that there are so few role-models for these girls to learn from. And, if you live in a poorer area, there are few, if any, opportunities for them to get out and see all that the world has to offer. And, interestingly, there is a lot of fear of that big world. Where they are may not be great, but it is "safe" because it's what they know.

I lived in Las Cruces, NM. It is a great place to live if you have already "been-there-done-that."
If you are a teen, there's little to do other than hang-out at the skate park or get high.

Of course, not all of the kids end up pregnant and many do go on to college or university.

But, reality is: the city high schools organizing a trip to Santa Fe for pregnant teens and their partners so that they could advocate for keeping the budget in place for teen parenting classes and on-site daycare.
Seriously.

Now, on the one hand, I applaud any and all education that will improve the lives of these kids and their infants, but, on the other, it just breaks my heart that it has come to this.
That's life in New Mexico.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I say cap welfare spending at current levels, plus the rate of population increase plus inflation.

When the number of takers increases beyond population growth every recipient gets a smaller piece of the pie, appropriately placing a stigma on the takers who now are responsible for their neighbor's slice shrinking.

I agree 100%. When this Obamensty 2013 bill gets passed and 11 million+ illegals get dumped on the welfare roles, I don't want one cent added to the welfare budget. Everyone should have to take a cut in their benefits.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is super-complex. One of the biggest deterrents to change is the fact that there are so few role-models for these girls to learn from. And, if you live in a poorer area, there are few, if any, opportunities for them to get out and see all that the world has to offer. And, interestingly, there is a lot of fear of that big world. Where they are may not be great, but it is "safe" because it's what they know.

I lived in Las Cruces, NM. It is a great place to live if you have already "been-there-done-that."
If you are a teen, there's little to do other than hang-out at the skate park or get high.

Of course, not all of the kids end up pregnant and many do go on to college or university.

But, reality is: the city high schools organizing a trip to Santa Fe for pregnant teens and their partners so that they could advocate for keeping the budget in place for teen parenting classes and on-site daycare.
Seriously.

Now, on the one hand, I applaud any and all education that will improve the lives of these kids and their infants, but, on the other, it just breaks my heart that it has come to this.
That's life in New Mexico.
Me too. It was one thing to hear of on site daycare for students kids at the high school but then I heard they also had them at the middle school for the babies of students. Middle school is 11-14. What does that tell you ? And government services people have offices in these schools where the girls and their parents can go to get help. The "mothers" are still minors so their parents have to sign some of the forms. How sad is that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies