Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 01:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,982,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unless you have actually shot and killed someone, and viewed their bloody, lifeless body, you are in no position to call anyone emotionally weak for not relishing the thought of pulling the trigger.
There are cases of women being brutally raped who still refuse to get armed or even take a hand to hand combat course. For some begging and pleading is all they can do. Some people just make great victims.

Bad guys count on that.

Other people don't like pleading and begging and I am one of them, besides from years of hiking, i have bad knees

I have killed a great deal of things. and then sometimes made items i can wear of them after eating what parts i wanted. In even the smallest of creatures they are just a tool kit and glue if nothing else.

I don't distinguish from humans either......

A lot of people insist that if you are both pleasant and polite, think a bad guy will respond nicely to that and simply let you go... It must come as something of a shock when the stabbing starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,160,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Oh, there you go again. Saying the same thing twice does not make it a fact.

The you know VAST majority of men and women don't need guns, and you know this because you've spoken personally with them? You're an intellectual giant, who just "knows" these things? So from these you can speak with authority on whether women and men need guns? No you can't, it's totally elitist to even think you can. You don't know most peoples situations, so you cannot with any credibility make that statement.

On your second point, can you as a man, explain what it feels like to walk through a dark alley, see a guy move away from the wall up ahead and worry about his intentions? Are you concerned at all about getting raped for example? Can you as a person explain what it feels like to fear your husband getting home from work, watching the clock as it ticks by, because you know he leaves at 6:00, it's now 8:00, and when he comes home drunk, you're often beaten for things like his dinner (which was ready at 6:30) is cold, or burned, or because his boss is screwing with him. Or if not you if there's anything out of place, thats the kids then one of them is going to be smacked around. Or if he's horny, whether you like it or not he's getting his marital obligations. How many times in your life have you felt this way?
Yes, in the vast majority of this country, no one needs to walk around with a gun, though I've noted that there are some exceptions. When it comes to avoiding becoming a victim, there is a whole list of things you should be doing that come before walking around with a loaded weapon. A law enforcement officer can supply you with most of these things, if you're genuinely interested. Walking around with a concealed handgun won't be on that list. Again, the most likely consequence of you walking around with a loaded weapon is that either you or someone in your family will hurt or kill themselves with it, when compared against the chances that most of you will use it to stop a crime. Of course, you would never think of doing a rational cost/benefit analysis of such things. That would require looking at the issues absent of emotion and being open to actual data that might contradict what you wish to believe.

The answer to your litany of questions at the end is to remove yourself from those situations, not carry a gun. And, actually, if you have kids, it is not your choice to remain in that situation. You don't have the right to keep kids in abusive situations. You must remove yourself and them. Bringing a gun, or another gun, into a situation like that is incredibly stupid.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Not only do you lack even an ounce of common sense, your reading comprehension skills are in the toilet. I said a 16 year old FEMALE jumped my daughter, and yeah, if armed, there is no doubt in my mind that my brilliant, bio-medical engineer graduate of Columbia University future son-in-law, would have brandished his gun immediately. He probably wouldn't have shot a female, but would have been able to hold her at gunpoint and certainly ward off her fellow male thugs who rounded the corner. It would have been a service to society to wipe out the whole lot of them, frankly.

The cops who responded asked my daughter what "they" looked like. She said, "They all had Halloween masks and costumes on, I dunno, they all looked the same" .... to which NYPD's finest responded, "What are you, a racist?"
Yes, I saw that it was a female who supposedly jumped on your daughter. Can you be a dear and explain how that changes anything in my advice to you?

I know you have these situations imagined in your mind of how gun owners will react when in these situations, but I'm here to tell you that you are wrong. Most people do not react as they would hope. They fumble, they stumble, they panic. Your daughter's boyfriend never would have drawn the gun, which would undoubtedly be the best thing, given your description of what supposedly happened. If he had had a gun and drawn it, we might be sitting here talking about him being behind bars.

You're very emotional about this and not sounding very rational. I would hope you are not packing. You're precisely the type of gun owner I don't want carrying in public places.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Some people just make great victims.
Never a more true sentence spoken. C-D proves that every day...

Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Apparently your social circle is limited. As for where I was, I was repainting a rental house in a part of town that is considered "the bad side." I run a handyman business, and was hired to do some work there. Interestingly enough, I know other people who have also used a firearm to protect themselves from assault. None of them are cops, repo men, bouncers, or run with the wrong crowd. One is an accountant who was out to dinner with his fiance when someone tried to mug them. One is a landscaper who was attacked by a guy strung out on meth in a nice middle class neighborhood. There are others, but you've made it apparent that you don't believe these people need to carry a firearm for self defense because we are all safe in this utopian world where nothing bad can happen.

Sorry, but every time someone like you talks about how firearms are unnecessary it makes my teeth itch. The day that you can guarantee me that I or my loved ones will not be the victim of violent crime, you may feel free to lecture me about my paranoia and my "need to alter my behavior." Until then, every post you make decrying normal everyday people for their desire to take responsibility for their own safety just makes me wonder how you manage to go through life with blinders on.
No, I base it off of reliable statistics. We are safer than we have ever been and, rather than making you safer, your guns dramatically raise the risks for you and your family members.

There are no guarantees in life. Everything is a risk. That's why intelligent people weigh the various risks. An intelligent person weighs the risks of where they live or work versus the inherent risks of owning and carrying a gun. Many of you base it upon your distorted sense of the risks in your area and ignore the inherent risks of carrying around the loaded weapon. As I've said three times, some of you do need to carry. It's a very small number, but there are some of you. or you folks, we need to have a process where you are trained to use it in crisis situations and where you have to periodically be examined, no differently than we do with car ownership and operation. If you can't satisfy those requirements, you have business packing in public places. On your own property, I don't much care what you pack.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Never a more true sentence spoken. C-D proves that every day...
Did you ever read his tale of the bikers who threatened to smash his baby's skull on a tree until he pulled out his handgun? I know if I were looking for truth, I would point folks towards the guy full of tales like these who claims to have lived off the grid in a tipi for three years.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:08 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Did you ever read his tale of the bikers who threatened to smash his baby's skull on a tree until he pulled out his handgun? I know if I were looking for truth, I would point folks towards the guy full of tales like these who claims to have lived off the grid in a tipi for three years.
Actually... I believe the truth usually lies with people who talk or in this case, write with emotion. Those who have personal experiences to tell. No way, that so many folks here have such vivid imaginations that all the personal experience is fictitious. Some perhaps, but all.. no way. I will much more believe that someone involved in a certain business (and can prove it) is more in the know about a process or an idea than someone who runs off to Google, links an article, and then turns around and passes their own opinion on down the line as fact because they read it on the internet. It reminds me of the game "telephone" we used to play on the playground as 2nd graders. You know the one.. By the time the "whisper" got to about the 5th person in the line.. not a damn word of it could be believed.

You would make a better argument if you actually gave a REASON for your hatred of guns, instead of berating and intimidating folks. Perhaps then, people could understand your thinking and not feel like all your trying to do is be the most knowledgeable about the subject without understanding how and why they feel like you do. Once again.. personal knowledge. Do you work in an industry that would prove we are no safer.. or is it just your PERSONAL opinion?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Actually... I believe the truth usually lies with people who talk or in this case, write with emotion. Those who have personal experiences to tell. No way, that so many folks here have such vivid imaginations that all the personal experience is fictitious. Some perhaps, but all.. no way. I will much more believe that someone involved in a certain business (and can prove it) is more in the know about a process or an idea than someone who runs off to Google, links an article, and then turns around and passes their own opinion on down the line as fact because they read it on the internet. It reminds me of the game "telephone" we used to play on the playground as 2nd graders. You know the one.. By the time the "whisper" got to about the 5th person in the line.. not a damn word of it could be believed.

You would make a better argument if you actually gave a REASON for your hatred of guns, instead of berating and intimidating folks. Perhaps then, people could understand your thinking and not feel like all your trying to do is be the most knowledgeable about the subject without understanding how and why they feel like you do. Once again.. personal knowledge. Do you work in an industry that we prove we are no safer.. or is it just your PERSONAL opinion?
Yes, it's not as if people don't frequently lie on the internet. I mean, it doesn't at all seem improbable that one person has dealt with half his family being wiped out in a murderous rampage, has encountered homicidal bikers in the hills of New Hampshire and has at least one other tale of brandishing a weapon against yet more homicidal characters. Perfectly plausible, at least if you happen to live in a Mad Max movie.

You're actually touching on something else that is very disturbing in modern America: The utter lack of skepticism from ordinary people about claims and stories that should be setting off alarms from the outset.

I have articulated the reasons the vast majority of you should not be walking around with loaded weapons. I have stated them a half-dozen times. You don't wish to consider them because you have too much emotion invested in wanting to believe that you should be armed.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,723,889 times
Quote:
No, I base it off of reliable statistics. We are safer than we have ever been and, rather than making you safer, your guns dramatically raise the risks for you and your family members.

There are no guarantees in life. Everything is a risk. That's why intelligent people weigh the various risks. An intelligent person weighs the risks of where they live or work versus the inherent risks of owning and carrying a gun. Many of you base it upon your distorted sense of the risks in your area and ignore the inherent risks of carrying around the loaded weapon. As I've said three times, some of you do need to carry. It's a very small number, but there are some of you. or you folks, we need to have a process where you are trained to use it in crisis situations and where you have to periodically be examined, no differently than we do with car ownership and operation. If you can't satisfy those requirements, you have business packing in public places. On your own property, I don't much care what you pack.
Out of curiosity, did it ever strike you as odd that violent crime started going down at about the same time that states started loosening restrictions on carrying a firearm? Your claim that our country is safer than it has ever been, while somewhat true, fails to take into account why our country is safer.

Quote:
Yes, in the vast majority of this country, no one needs to walk around with a gun, though I've noted that there are some exceptions. When it comes to avoiding becoming a victim, there is a whole list of things you should be doing that come before walking around with a loaded weapon. A law enforcement officer can supply you with most of these things, if you're genuinely interested. Walking around with a concealed handgun won't be on that list. Again, the most likely consequence of you walking around with a loaded weapon is that either you or someone in your family will hurt or kill themselves with it, when compared against the chances that most of you will use it to stop a crime. Of course, you would never think of doing a rational cost/benefit analysis of such things. That would require looking at the issues absent of emotion and being open to actual data that might contradict what you wish to believe.

The answer to your litany of questions at the end is to remove yourself from those situations, not carry a gun. And, actually, if you have kids, it is not your choice to remain in that situation. You don't have the right to keep kids in abusive situations. You must remove yourself and them. Bringing a gun, or another gun, into a situation like that is incredibly stupid.
Once again you fail to deal with reality. I have several LEOs in my family, and even more in my social circles. There isn't one of them who believes that obtaining a CCP and carrying a firearm is a bad idea for the average citizen. In fact, every one of them will tell you that it is your responsibility to provide for your safety and that it is impossible for the police to arrive at the scene of the crime in time to keep you from being assaulted.

Quote:
Yes, it's not as if people don't frequently lie on the internet. I mean, it doesn't at all seem improbable that one person has dealt with half his family being wiped out in a murderous rampage, has encountered homicidal bikers in the hills of New Hampshire and has at least one other tale of brandishing a weapon against yet more homicidal characters. Perfectly plausible, at least if you happen to live in a Mad Max movie.

You're actually touching on something else that is very disturbing in modern America: The utter lack of skepticism from ordinary people about claims and stories that should be setting off alarms from the outset.

I have articulated the reasons the vast majority of you should not be walking around with loaded weapons. I have stated them a half-dozen times. You don't wish to consider them because you have too much emotion invested in wanting to believe that you should be armed.
You have stated your opinion as to why you feel that people should not carry a firearm. However, that opinion bears no weight whatsoever when it comes to what the rest of us feel we should do. Put simply, if you don't feel that you need a firearm, don't carry one. It is my sincere hope that you are never put in a position that makes you question your decision. On the other hand, I choose to be prepared in case I do need a firearm, and hope that I am never again put in a situation where I am proven right.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,575,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My CCW class consisted of about 20 percent women. In the past few weeks, I have had many conversations with other women about guns.

I think the OP is a little uninformed.

20yrsinBranson
I have one at home, but have given some thought to CCW. It would make me nervous walking around with a gun, I'd be afraid someone could take it away from me, or I'd pull it out to scare somebody and the cops would surround me to haul me away. Maybe that's silly, but I'm just not accustomed to or confident being around them. I'm sure that is something I could gain thru practice and training, but that is how I feel at this particular time. I don't suppose my hesitancy is unusual for females.
To me, the solution is more exposure and desensitization, not less.

I'm even nervous with it in the car. Perhaps part of that is because I live in California.
I haven't kept up with this thread, I don't know what you'all are fighting about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies