Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It was a medical research position in Boston. I used to work with a guy that did landscaping work, he wasn't even making $25K - hence the 2nd job.
I didn't say landscapers make 25 or above. I said they make more than 12-15/hr. I worked landscaping almost my entire youth life before starting a career. I always made between 18-20/hr. That also depends on what people consider "landscaping". I'm not talking about chemical sprayers or lawn cutters, I'm talking about actually working hard. For a medical research position to pay so low, he must have been the coffee guy at the bottom of the totem pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Which group do you think is more likely to complain about their income? Which group is going to complain that that people are on public assistance and don't make enough to pay taxes.
Everybody who earns a wage income makes enough to pay federal income tax. The fact that so many wage earners DON'T have to pay federal income tax disenfranchises those of us who DO pay due to the voting tyranny of the freeloaders.

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The average hourly non-farm wage in the United States is $23.78. That equals to $49,462 per individual OR $98,924 per two worker household ANNUALLY!

There is absolutely NO REASON why the average worker in the United States cannot live off of these wages.

In fact, with these wages, and when personal responsibility is factored into the equation, there's absolutely no reason for single-parent families, children born out of wedlock, Medicaid, WIC, Welfare, or Food Stamps.

The AVERAGE worker makes $49,462 per year and yet we have liberals belly-aching over minimum wage and people barely able to make ends meet???? Who's fault is that?!

Get off your lazy asses and DO SOMETHING with your unproductive lives! There's money to be made out there!

Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National) Home Page
this will take you to the table broken down by industry ---Table B-3. Average hourly and weekly earnings of all employees on private nonfarm payrolls by industry sector, seasonally adjusted

Excluding supervisors, the average drops to $19.97/hour.
Table B-8. Average hourly and weekly earnings of production and nonsupervisory employees on private nonfarm payrolls by industry sector, seasonally adjusted(1)

I didn't check your calculations, but keep in mind the average workweek in many sectors is closer to 35, not 40 hours. Even with your $49,462, subtract taxes and you're left with a much lower net income.

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
According to this he's right:

National Average Wage Index
And still misinformed about what the mean, median, mode, and range are and why they are important.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Because this mathematically challenged "lib" went to school so he could make more than the average hourly wage and in that process of going to school learned that average is a poor measure for massive and varied data sets. That BLS number is basically a statistic for statistics sake. It doesn't actually tell you anything since the average measures a range from $0 to who knows how high. The median hourly wage is a truer measure of what workers earn Average wages, median wages, and wage dispersion

But I know you aren't interested in actually presenting facts, or even using proper context of what you're posting. Doing so would defeat the purpose of this thread.
Of course the data are varied. We're talking umpteen thousands of different jobs. That's why it's called an average.

But the fact remains, the mean HOURLY wage in the United States is $23. That means a **** loat of American's make far more than $23 per hour, and a **** load of American's make less than $23 per hour. Please tell me what you think is missing from this equation that suits your assertion that $23 can't possibly be the average hourly wage of US workers.

This is your opportunity to debunk. Make it good.

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Ah, another thread proving compassionate conservatism is an oxymoron. Everyone who doesn't make over $20 an hour is a loser.
Depends on the cost of living where you live. PayScale - Cost of Living Calculator

Some people just take what is given to them, and don't have the motivation to search for something better, or branch out into a new profession. You can probably stack the produce shelves or run a cash register at a Walmart for twenty years, if you never care to move on after getting that entry level job.

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
It was a medical research position in Boston. I used to work with a guy that did landscaping work, he wasn't even making $25K - hence the 2nd job.
Well duh. Clearly medical researchers are losers.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
And still misinformed about what the mean, median, mode, and range are and why they are important.
What does that say? It says the average wage is what? Show something that proves otherwise.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Everybody who earns a wage income makes enough to pay federal income tax. The fact that so many wage earners DON'T have to pay federal income tax disenfranchises those of us who DO pay due to the voting tyranny of the freeloaders.
Do you honestly think a single mother making $15K is going to owe federal taxes and prefer that position to making $40K?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
The OP is receiving criticism because he doesn't understand statistics, not because anyone thinks $23/hr should be paid for a walmart cashier.
I understand statistics just fine. You're not the only character on this forum with a Master's Degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies