Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,560,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's the issue right there in a nutshell. These people truly believe it is NOT their responsibility to put themselves into a position with upward mobility. Heck, I used to work at a landfill for $9/hr. Union job and everything while living in a seaside winter rental. I just got fed up one day and decided I was going to better myself. I walked off the job and went down to the local UE building and applied for trade school training. I now have a career and make a decent living above the national average and own my own home in a nice neighborhood. Was it hard? Of course, anything worth a crap is hard work, but it paid off and it is very achievable for ANYONE who puts their mind to it.

It should not be MY responsibility to put myself in a position that meets YOUR lofty standards, or the standards imposed by government at the behest of voters like you.

If you want to exclude me, go hide in a gated community, or get your fellow property owners to adopt and enforce restrictive covenants.

If I meet the standards of a willing seller who are you to get in the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM

89,507 posts, read 45,203,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Please explain WHY.
Same reason why the heavily taxed are moving out of Wisconsin and California. Duh.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
Thanks, Hamlet

Is it achievable for EVERYONE?
Or will there always be some people who are below average wage earners?

He's from Lake Wobegon.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Same reason why the heavily taxed are moving out of Wisconsin and California. Duh.

Go on, can you articulate it without sounding like a prejudiced class warrior?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
For those that don't quite "understand" me, my goal is to promote discussion. You may disagree with my approach, but that's OK too.

No problem, you're doing your job well, no complaints here.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
A significant point to be sure.

Was that pun intended?

Now please excuse me, it's t-time.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,257,953 times
What a moronic post ... but I will go for the bait anyway. Let's just say that tomorrow all of America's secretaries, truck drivers etc. decide. "hey, I'm sick of being a loser. I'm going to get off my duff and get one of those $23.00+ per hour jobs!" They all enroll in night school and learn a lucrative trade like meeting attending or buzz phrase parrotting. Pretty soon there will be thousands of applicants for every opening and wages will drop according the law of supply and demand. That's how price structures work whether you're talking about widgets or wages. Meanwhile somebody still has to drive the trucks, answer the phones and carry the CEO's golf bags.
I wonder what the average wage would be if you took the top 1% out of the equation? And would anyone notice them missing?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Exactly the findings of the studies in The Millionaire Next Door:

"Conversely, people of modest backgrounds who believe that only the wealthy produce millionaires are predetermined to remain non-affluent."

Success is much more attainable to the person of modest background and good parenting than to the person with egregiously inept parenting. Undoing your upbringing is hard if it sucked.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I want an absence of class warfare, too. Treat every U.S. resident the same, tax-wise and everything else.

I'm for it under the condition described earlier. As long as government uses regulation to keep millions of Americans in rent slavery, renters are already paying a steep regulatory tax in the form of inflating rents.

My money is already being redistributed to homeowners (see Sowell), so off the bat I'm paying more than my fair share.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Median household income, 2007-2011 $52,762

US Household Income | Department of Numbers

2012 DOWN TO 50K

============

US Family Income
The ACS 1-year survey reports that the median family income in the United States was $61,455 in 2011, the latest year available. Median family income data for 2012 will be release in September of 2013.

Yes, it's easy to earn more money when you have two income-earners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies