Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times

Advertisements

I am watching Jimu Greene, one of the token Obama zealots they trot out on FOX. The Conservatives are eviscerating the Sequester argument just as Rush did, except even better. The ridiculous Obama photo-op with the fire fighters and threats of teachers being laid off is a BOGUS threat. Teachers and firefighters are funded through LOCAL taxes, not Federal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I don't have a cause. I didn't start the thread.

Damn, it must suck..............DOH!
Don't be calling people out and then turn around and do the very same thing you are calling them on.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 AM

335 posts, read 517,920 times
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen ~ Samuel Adams

Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Don't be calling people out and then turn around and do the very same thing you are calling them on.
You seem to not understand that I'm not complaining. How hard is it to understand that? I'm pointing out the hypocrisy, no more, no less. But since whiney azzes can't comprehend that, oh, well.

Here.....maybe this will soak in: When someone says, "don't call me stupid, you stupid person," that's HYPOCRISY!

Get it now?

Probably not.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:41 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Liberals have a lot of little catch phrases they learned on MSNBC.

Seriously, after being sick to death of the insults hurled at W for 8 years, then the impossibly hateful rhetoric aimed at Sarah by people too stupid to know she didn't say, "I can see Russia from my house", then when 0bama came along to hear nothing but RACIST if for any little reason you didn't want to vote for him, Republicans/conservatives just got sick to death of it and now are hurling it back. Is it the smart thing to do? No. Is it the mature thing to do? No. But sometimes shooting back is the only defense. And pitiful little whiney liberals and blacks can't take it.

Too bad.
No, Palin did not say "I can see Russia from my house"...she did say, "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Yes, you can see the Russian island of Big Diomede, but being able to see an island with no permanent population would not give anybody any insight or experience with Russia.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
No, Palin did not say "I can see Russia from my house"...she did say, "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Yes, you can see the Russian island of Big Diomede, but being able to see an island with no permanent population would not give anybody any insight or experience with Russia.
Pointing out the close proximity of Russian soil to American soil isn't the same as claiming "insight" into diplomatic relations with Russia. It's a factual statement on geography, nothing more, except the Left decided it was a comment they could distort and mock her with.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Pointing out the close proximity of Russian soil to American soil isn't the same as claiming "insight" into diplomatic relations with Russia. It's a factual statement on geography, nothing more, except the Left decided it was a comment they could distort and mock her with.
She was asked in a September 2008 interview with ABC News's Charles Gibson, "what insights she had from her state being so close to Russia. She responded: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

The question did not have anything to do with geography.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Wow, just wow! I did in fact post a similar plea on another forum I visit; it became an attack-fest itself, with posters digging up old stuff that others had said, etc. After a while, the mod removed it. some thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I totally agree with everything the OP said. This place gets a bit ridiculous at times.

My hot-button irritants:

1: The god damn race card. Really? Are you that lousy of a debater and are your arguments so weak that your only recourse to discredit another poster's opinion is to call him/her a racist?

2: The ease at which posters here are able to call another a fascist or Nazi. Again, is your argument so weak that you cannot at least listen to another's argument and consider that there may be something constructive to take away and add to your stance on an issue?

3: A total lack of understanding or even a willingness to try to understand another's opinion. If it doesn't already jive with a city-data poster's current narrative, almost instantly, swords are drawn.

There's a lot of information in this forum, but I don't think there's a lot of learning going on.
Agreed. To add:

1. Disagreeing with Obama's policies is not being a racist, and I don't think many, if any, have ever implied so. Posting pictures of him sitting in a loin cloth in front of a pot of boiling human with a bone in his nose, yes, I think that could be considered racist. The outright racist stuff against him seems to have calmed down. Many cons use "you're a racist" as an attempt at humor when someone disagrees with Obama.

2. Yes, considering most don't really know the meaning of those terms.

3. Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Actually, I don't think the crazies on this board can express themselves with out calling our Hillary Clinton "ugly", or make fun of other parts of people's appearance. Usually women, of course, but not always.

For some reason, "Obonzo" offends me more than other ugly nicknames for our president. The farthest I ever went with Bush was "Dubya," and only because I understood that to be a widely-used nickname for him among friends and family.

Personally I strive never to refer to "Repukes" or talk about how fat Rush Limbaugh is. I just think it says a lot more about the people who say stuff like that than it does about the people they're criticizing.

And the above poster reminded me of how much I absolutely LOATHE the use of "tard" as a pejorative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Oh I totally agree. "Turd" is much more civil.
No, it's not, ObserverNY! "tard" is making fun of people with intellectual disabilities. Even Sarah Palin doesn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I have a bit, simply because I couldn't finish something that made me laugh so hard that the author thought it was real, and it works equally as well for international bankers, the Illuminati, mole people, and house cats. It is a pure paranoid schizophrenics word salad.

Glad I got it from the library...which is odd for a library controlled by the government to have a book that "exposes the conspiracy".

If it were cats I can add to their premise as well. Look at what people buy, they are all shiny (gold, diamonds, shiny cars to transport cats). If you are on welfare the only thing you can afford is cat food, because they want to make sure even the lowest person knows cats are in charge...and no matter what the cats can be fed.

The difference between reality and crazy people is that in reality things need to be proven true. I can't convince you there is no conspiracy any more then I can convince you that there is no loch ness monster, men in black, or Nazi UFOs. Just like an old neighbor thought my dog was a CIA agent in disguise trying to keep tabs on her...there was no way to convince her he was just a dog.
I do think there are a few mentally ill people who post here; that is a professional opinion as one who has worked in psychiatry.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You won't find civility in this forum but you will get used to it. Yes, it makes rational debate kind of useless here - but you can still have fun.

I cannot believe what posters (including myself) can get by with in this forum - but not in others. I kind of like it.
Yes/no. I do find myself having to tone it down when I go to another forum. However, I've seen some huge disagreements on some others as well, when a real hot-button topic is being discussed. And the mods do seem to have their guns trained on certain posters. Some get away with more than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Biggest problem here...are the "Know-It-Alls." The only threads I pay attention to are the ones that I have an interest or knowledge about. Some of these folks post in every single solitary thread. And in every last one of them.. they're the expert. Because they read an article once... I wish just once someone would come in and get actual information and attempt to LEARN something....
Including some whose own life circumstances make you wonder how they acquired so much information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I think counting to 30 before immediately sending a response to someone you disagree with helps. Recently, I thanked someone who disagreed with me for sharing their views. The second exchange between us was more civil than the first. I had let the poster know that they were not providing any facts, but engaging in ridicule and mere mockery the first time and had no chance to change my mind with that approach. You can stand your ground and still be civil. Avoid name calling or simply agree to disagree and say it is great we can live in a country where we can do that. I am not perfect, but that list of ten things (at beginning of thread) is really amazing (amazingly disappointing). The maturity of adults these days is barely above that of children at times.
Yes, to all the above. And we should all keep trying, no matter what.

ETA: I would like to add, one of the most irritating things to me is the statement, "If you don't understand THAT, there's nothing I can do to help you" (or similar). It implies a poster is stupid.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
It would be nice ,but not as fun , Suffering fools can be cheap entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies