Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Look here, Texas bashers - Texas has six - SIX - of the 20 largest cities in the US, far more than any other state (for instance, California is only home to four of the 20 largest cities in the US, and no other states have more than one that made the list). Most large cities have higher crime rates than smaller cities. Those crime rates drive the violent crime stats up on the entire state, even though huge swatches of Texas have very, very low crime rates.

Life expectancy? Texas is ranked 30 out of 50 states, with these blue states outpacing Texas on early deaths:
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Michigan
Nevada
Ohio

Oh, and Washington, DC.

As for the "poverty level" thing - the cost of living is very low in Texas, which is one of the many benefits of living here.

But please - if you don't care for Texas, don't bother coming here. We'll do just fine without you, thank you very kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
I believe Texas has vehicle safety inspections which makes the state bad for retirement right off the bat. Most of the states in the middle of the country don't even have those police state inspections. I've been driving since 1996 and none of my vehicles were inspected by anyone ever. The people that live in states with vehicle inspections need to stand up and put a stop to that crap immediately.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I believe Texas has vehicle safety inspections which makes the state bad for retirement right off the bat. Most of the states in the middle of the country don't even have those police state inspections. I've been driving since 1996 and none of my vehicles were inspected by anyone ever. The people that live in states with vehicle inspections need to stand up and put a stop to that crap immediately.
WHAT? A state inspection costs about $10. I've lived in numerous states and I've never lived in a state that DIDN'T require a yearly vehicle inspection.

But you're right - if a person can't afford a $10 Texas vehicle inspection, by golly they should find another incredibly low cost of living state to move to.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
That includes what you said about "so called" Republican states. If you had any knowledge about the subject, you would know that there is no such thing as a Republican or Democrat state.
You're right. There are Democrats in Republican States, and there are Republicans in Democratic States. Regardless. States that primarily vote Repuk are those with the biggest problems, and the lowest quality of life.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
WHAT? A state inspection costs about $10. I've lived in numerous states and I've never lived in a state that DIDN'T require a yearly vehicle inspection.

But you're right - if a person can't afford a $10 Texas vehicle inspection, by golly they should find another incredibly low cost of living state to move to.
Of course, I hope you realize that the reason it is incredibly cheap is because most of it is crap. The reason California's property prices are so high is because so many people with money want to live here. Sure, you can buy a house in Lubbock for $20,000 but don't even try to pretend that's for any other reason than because everyone who can afford better went some where else the second they could. Price is set by the market based on supply and demand with more desirable places costing more money.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You're right. There are Democrats in Republican States, and there are Republicans in Democratic States. Regardless. States that primarily vote Repuk are those with the biggest problems, and the lowest quality of life.
And that is a fact even if some people don't like it.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
And that is a fact even if some people don't like it.
You are confusing personal preference with fact. Many people in the ten beautiful states highlighted by the OP's link would detest living in an ultra-dense urban environment...which are common in blue states and less common in red states. If your idea of home includes a decent amount of land, not some timy walk-up apartment, maybe a red state would suit better. If crime rates are low because no one ventures out after dark and everyone has three sets of locks on each door and alarms on all the windows, the low crime rate is not exactly an indicator of high-quality lifestyles. If a momentary lack of bus fumes has you thinking the air is fresh and clean, a blue state is for you.

I'm not saying that a rural, small town or suburban liifestyle is better than an urban one--I'm just saying that which is better is a matter of personal preference, not fact.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Beautiful state. Cheap to live in too.

Couldn't live there though. I'd be terrified during tornado season. Not to mention the winter weather and jobs that don't pay squat.
It's usually not real dangerous as long as you don't try to ride out a tornado in a trailer house. To have peace of mind in the event of a tornado warning many people have storm shelters of their own to go to, like an underground storm shelter or a small room in their homes, like a closet made of reinforced concrete blocks.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,286 times
Default This is a load of crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Shocker. They are all Red States. And somehow I'm supposed to listen to people from these states when they tell me how the country should be run?

10 Worst States For Retirement | Bankrate.com
They take whole numbers from throughout each state and imply it represents every part of each of these states...?

How about taking a closer look at the sections where crime and poverty are concentrated in each of these states (The large cities with ghettos) and deduct that. Take a look at 80& of the rest of the states - the smaller cities and towns, the rural areas. And you will find them to be the most affordable and livable places in the USA.

This is just biased liberals at their dumbest.

I wonder how many of the phonies that work on this "nothing" website would be looking at the medical care in Houston when the need arises for them or their families.

Bankrate com has a mortgage calculator...That's all I can remember about it.

In each of these states, you cn live decently on Social Security and a small pension.

We live in Texas - I do not like some things about it, but we live pretty well here. You can get a nice house for as little as $100K (maybe that's bankrate.coms problem with these states...people do not have to borrow much).

If renting is your thing - go into the areas further away from the cities, and you can get a nice apartment with 2 bedrooms for $650/month (you don't have to worry about realestate taxes, repairs or even mowing the lawn).

And medical care, if you shop around and stick with the same doctors, is good and more affordable. We have some great doctors from Southeast Asia, the Middle East...people that truly care about their patients.

Go to a dental school, and you get good care for a much lower cost.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I don't want you to listen to whatever or whomever. I want you to leave my paycheck alone. I want you to quit forcing me to pay money out of my paycheck, for the sick, lame, and lazy whom refuse to work. Moreover, quit taking away from me, to give to those who do work, but don't make much money. So they can "feel good" about themselves.

Their healthcare, childcare, and life in general isn't my responsibiltity to pay for. Red, blue, purple or green. They need to learn personal responsibility and pay for themselves. NO, I don't care they can't make huge amounts of money, that isn't my fault or concern.
Question: Where do the people whose services you depend on get educated and/or work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies