Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,689,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I saw an add on Craigslist for a wrought iron table - but the poster spelled it "rot" iron.

Not to mention "Anyway" - not "anyways"

I, too, could go on... (to, two, too)
Rot. That's hilarious.

And yeah, when did the 's' get stuck on 'anyway', anyway?

P.S. Ad and add mean different things. Gotcha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,510,887 times
O
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
I know the difference between there, their, and they're, but I will still make the mistake when writing, typically between there and their.

Heck, it took me awhile to figure out the difference between its and it's. It's is not possessive, but a contraction. Another stupid English rule that doesn't make sense.

Plus, the difference between there and their is not one of spelling, but of context. We could actually ban the use of their and simply use there and the English language would not be diminished since those words derive their meaning from contextual use rather than spelling.

The English language is riddled with these issues.
Their and there means two different things. I would be more confused without it.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,986,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think somebody needs to invest in a new keyboard (or computer).

They taught typing skills to both boys & girls when I was in elementary school, which would have been the 1980s... and I wish they still did! I'm an incredibly fast typist, averaging around 85-90wpm with 99% accuracy, and thank my typing classes (plus some natural skill) for that. Even my 65 year-old boss was impressed the first time she saw me type! She asked if my fingers were smoking, LOL.
Oh Honey I got some years on you..... 61 here going on 14 I was in 1st grade at age 4 and turned 5 in 1956...... if you are saying i seem younger thanks!

My wife is a rocket and at that 99%, which can be scary since she can type like that 95 wpm and talk looking at me about any other thing! I hate it when she does that. I am serious too, I will leave the room..

This is a ACER keyboard and so far i keep it because it isn't broken. I tend to hammer the keys and usually before the ink letters are worn out the plastic staples inside the board are busted and broke into bits

Maybe one day I will scratch in the letters and then paint that......

I have a super tower but am not using it. Something extra my son built with 3 hard drives.. The face of that has a lock and keys and also has a thermostat........ it's what he does for grins......

Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,232,748 times
Just read this, OP:

I won't hire people who use poor grammar. Here's why.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,473,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Their and there means two different things. I would be more confused without it.
Then you do not know how to read with context. The meaning of those words come from context, not spelling.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 PM

To me they are so different.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,689,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
I just took the link to that article to another forum, and it parsed like this:

blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/07/i_wont_hire_people_who_use_poo.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Rot. That's hilarious.

And yeah, when did the 's' get stuck on 'anyway', anyway?

P.S. Ad and add mean different things. Gotcha!
I think anyways sounds right. I can't hear the error in it.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,473,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
To me they are so different.
No, they are not. You can tell the meaning of the words outside of their spelling. For example, do these sentences really confuse you?

Their is a ball over their.

I petted there dog.

Do those sentences really discombobulate you? While it is bad grammar, one can still extract the exact meaning out of those sentences.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM

563 posts, read 808,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I've read a lot of threads on CD by and about people either looking for a job (unemployed) or people looking for a better job. Many of these people, if their writing examples on CD are any indication, have only a very basic understanding of English. For example, when mentioning money, the put the dollar sign on the right instead of the left. They have paragraphs that are just one long sentence. They can't spell. They don't know when to capitalize. Etc.... I get the idea that a lot of these people are very young (late teens, early 20s). Some might not be native English speakers. I should say this isn't a new issue. I was in a hiring position years ago and have had people fill out applications who couldn't spell the word "school". But are people this dense? Don't they realize some basic skills are required?
There has been reportedly a troll that repeatedly asks for help claiming there in desperate need of a job and wants help, but then rejects every solution given. Very odd and unusual for a troll, but internet trolling is internet trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies