Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times

Advertisements

For those who support Obama I have a few questions.

Does his extension of the Patriot Act concern you?
Does the NDAA (indefinite detainment) concern you?
Does the justification to use deadly force via drones against U.S. citizens overseas concern you?

Do you see an authoritarian side to President Obama or do you believe this is just exaggeration and political slant/bias?

Quote:
We have one political party, the big government party. It has a Republican wing that likes war and deficits and corporate welfare. It has a Democratic wing that likes war and taxes and individual welfare. Both wings have a single goal and that is staying in power.
Read more at Napolitano: Obama ‘stealing’ American lives
For those who oppose Obama I have a few questions.

Did the creation of the Patriot Act concern you?
Do you believe expansion of the Executive Branch under Bush was wise?
Do you believe the long term military occupation of foreign sovereign nations is justified?
Do you believe the continued militarization of domestic police under the guise of War on Drugs is wise?

For both groups.

Do you think powers granted under one parties administration will not be used/exploited by the other party?
Do you truly believe either party is concerned with limiting government encroachment upon civil liberties?

I support the GOP right now because I see it currently as the lesser of two evils, however I don't really see much difference between the parties in regards to the expansion of government authority, the indiscriminate growth of spending and the promotion of international interests over domestic business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
For those who oppose Obama I have a few questions.

Did the creation of the Patriot Act concern you?
Do you believe expansion of the Executive Branch under Bush was wise?
Do you believe the long term military occupation of foreign sovereign nations is justified?
Do you believe the continued militarization of domestic police under the guise of War on Drugs is wise?

For both groups.

Do you think powers granted under one parties administration will not be used/exploited by the other party?
Do you truly believe either party is concerned with limiting government encroachment upon civil liberties?

I support the GOP right now because I see it currently as the lesser of two evils, however I don't really see much difference between the parties in regards to the expansion of government authority, the indiscriminate growth of spending and the promotion of international interests over domestic business.
Yes
No
Yes in terms of having bases in allied nations like Japan or Germany but No in terms of occupying Afghanistan or Iraq
No

No
No

Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes
No
Yes in terms of having bases in allied nations like Japan or Germany but No in terms of occupying Afghanistan or Iraq
No

No
No
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

I think it is interesting how many points the Democrats and the Republicans have in common despite the supposed balkanization of the parties. Right now the Republicans are jumping up and down about spending, which BTW I think they are absolutely right to do and I will vigorously support them doing so - but they weren't concerned when bush was in office. I'm not giving Obama a pass, but people are correct to point out Bush was relatively as big an offender as Obama - both doubled the deficit they inherited.

I'm curious as to why you are concerned about bases in allied countries where we are a welcome presence but not concerned about bases in countries where significant segments of the native population view us as interlopers.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:05 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
First you have to be on the ground over there to get a feel for who is accepting of our troops. I doubt the afghan folks like the Taliban ruling them like before. Some maybe did. On the other hand they surely don't like drones blowing folks up out of the blue either. Our leaders in DC surely aren't making life easier on our troops that is for sure. I don't think they really care as long as JP Morgan gets what they want though.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
How many times (4 now) is this going to be a "new" topic.
Please use the search feature.
It's not the best, but it is effective.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
How many times (4 now) is this going to be a "new" topic.
Please use the search feature.
It's not the best, but it is effective.
Did you read the OP?
I addressed a common issue but believe I used it to propose a questions I'm not sure have been addressed.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Default Does justification for killing U.S. citizens concern anyone

Of course it does.

I'd like Bush and Cheney to justify the deaths of thousands of Americans who died needlessly in a horribly mismanaged debacle that they orchestrated. Then, perhaps they can go on to justify the trillions of taxpayer dollars flushed down the middle eastern toilet as their party gripes endlessly about "spending."

Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I look at history of the parties... During Clinton administration JaNUT Reno came down very hard on American citizens in Waco and with the Cuban boy Elian. Big tanks and guns used against Americans.. During Bush administration Bush had a situation come up , another Waco.. Bush administration waited it out and no one hurt.

Democrats are harder on American citizens and use powerful weapons to save face in adversity situations and because of that history I don't trust them regarding our personal freedoms .

Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
I am at a loss to understand who any self-respecting person who was so blood and guts on GWBs indefinite detainment in GITMO can now be so utterly docile. You guys were ready to impeach and imprison GWB for war crimes related to GITMO and holding these guys with no charges etc.

Now it’s crickets.

The only conclusion I can come to is that you were never really worried about GITMO. You just used that as a political tool to voice opposition to a person you didn’t like for other reasons.
It is hard to respect people who think like that.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
In framing this as an Obama problem you really dont want a serious answer to the use of drones.

Keep playing games. While the rest of try to work on real soultions to problems facing all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies