Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:18 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times

Advertisements

Specifically, why should we take everything they thought and wrote down with holy reverence, as opposed to learning from them in the process of making a government made for today?

Over the last 237 years, they've been elevated to a level somewhere between Ronald Reagan and Jesus Christ. I refuse to believe that the best and only solutions to the problem of government were made by a group of enlightened super-men from a past age of civilization. Neither they nor their contemporaries thought nearly as high of their ideas as many people do today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Specifically, why should we take everything they thought and wrote down with holy reverence, as opposed to learning from them in the process of making a government made for today?

Over the last 237 years, they've been elevated to a level somewhere between Ronald Reagan and Jesus Christ. I refuse to believe that the best and only solutions to the problem of government were made by a group of enlightened super-men from a past age of civilization. Neither they nor their contemporaries thought nearly as high of their ideas as many people do today.
If you don't like the constitution, there is a process in place to amend it.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,916 times
Quote:

I cannot help but laugh whenever someone resurrects the "founding fathers" for some improbable thesis in a vain effort to rewrite our history. Our so-called founding fathers, when viewed candidly, were colorful enough characters without our adding varnish to them. Franklin, who is considered to be the "First American" came close to forsaking hearth and home for England. Even Jefferson, with all his slaves (he owned over 600 during his lifetime), was hardly the liberal reformer we would have him be; and despite the efforts of modern-day Christians to convert him, in truth he was a deist, who had no qualms about revising the Bible to suit himself. See The Jefferson Bible: The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (1820). The "times that try men’s souls" bring out firebrands like Thomas Paine; who, if he was not a founding father, was certainly the midwife of American independence, and abetter to the overthrow of the French monarchy as well. Like Jesus, we would not be able to stand him. (Indeed, Paine was such a pain in the arse that he managed to make himself persona non grata in England, America and France!) Our perception of these characters is clouded by the dark glass of history, and distorted by attributions that represent so much wishful (rather than critical) thinking. It is like crediting Rembrandt’s paintings with depth of hue when their darkness is due to his having used cheap paint.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,068 times
Quote:

It has worked well since it was written.... been fixed when needed (see repeal of prohibition and outlawing slavery)

The reason why the country has been in the crapper since the turn of the century is because the last several presidents have found ways around the constitution

Would love to know SPECIFICALLY.... you would say we should change about the constitution......

Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
It has worked well since it was written.... been fixed when needed (see repeal of prohibition and outlawing slavery)

The reason why the country has been in the crapper since the turn of the century is because the last several presidents have found ways around the constitution

Would love to know SPECIFICALLY.... you would say we should change about the constitution......
We can always add more recognized rights to it and tweak the 14th amendment to get rid of anchor babies.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Little do you realize that you're in complete agreement with me! Allow me to restate this: "Our government, as formed by the Constitution, can't do enough to stop presidents from subverting the Constitution."

I don't really agree with your point here, but we BOTH agree that our government is working as well as a rusty Geo. Can something like this be fixed to some degree by fixing the Constitution or starting over with a new one? I don't know, but I think it's entirely worth considering.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Specifically, why should we take everything they thought and wrote down with holy reverence,
Yet another liberal trying to oppose an argument nobody has made.

You guys are really scraping the bottom of the barrel, aren't you.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,068 times
Quote:
Little do you realize that you're in complete agreement with me! Allow me to restate this: "Our government, as formed by the Constitution, can't do enough to stop presidents from subverting the Constitution."

I don't agree with your point here, but we BOTH agree that our government is working as well as a rusty Geo.
You are right on

Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,339 times
"Why do the founding fathers matter in 2013?"

Umm, I don't know. Why is the "emancipation proclamation" good?

Our founding fathers set fourth a foundation of ageless principles by which we were to govern this country, to be free of oppressive rule and allow each American their own individuality and the ability to live a free, happy, and prosperous life.

If that is something a person is having trouble understanding, then that person really should walk in the shoes of a Venezuelan, or a Sudanese, or an Iranian, or a Syrian, even a Russian.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
"Why do the founding fathers matter in 2013?"

Umm, I don't know. Why is the "emancipation proclamation" good?

Our founding fathers set fourth a foundation of ageless principles by which we were to govern this country, to be free of oppressive rule and allow each American their own individuality and the ability to live a free, happy, and prosperous life.

If that is something a person is having trouble understanding, then that person really should walk in the shoes of a Venezuelan, or a Sudanese, or an Iranian, or a Syrian, even a Russian.
They don't own these principles, and they never did. The ideals of freedom belong to all of us now. So why can't we make them happen in our own way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies