Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I've already posted plenty on this thread, that I don't intend on copying and pasting here. I strongly urge you to go back and review what I've said about homeschooling. I'm quite familiar with homeschooling, as I've seen it up close and personal. It's undesirable in every conceivable way.
Undesirable to YOU - so I heartily encourage you NOT to home school your own kids. It takes a committed, intelligent parent (or two) to do a good job of home schooling.

You are more than welcome to do what you think is best for your own children. But as long as home schooling families continue to succeed and send successful, well adjusted, well educated kids into the world, you really have no credibility when it comes to your blanket assumptions (which are inaccurate) and prejudices about home schooling.

As if the public school system in general is doing a better job. Please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
So, again, you did not watch the video and cannot comment on it accurately, but are holding to your preconceived mis-perceptions! Great! Just confirming what I already said.

I have read your many posts highlighting your obvious LACK of knowledge on the subject of homeschooling... and the lack of knowledge you have is quite impressive... especially since you continue to cling to your outdated and biggotted stereotypes!

Maybe you should watch the video and see what homeschooling is actually about... maybe you can learn something!
Prior to having direct, in-your-face exposure to homeschooling I had no opinion on it either way. AFTER EXPOSURE TO IT, I now understand that it is a disaster for the kids. Most might not have had exposure to it, but I HAVE, too much in fact. Ad nauseam. It's a DISASTER.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,953 times
Quote:
Prior to having direct, in-your-face exposure to homeschooling I had no opinion on it either way. AFTER EXPOSURE TO IT, I now understand that it is a disaster for the kids. Most might not have had exposure to it, but I HAVE, too much in fact. Ad nauseam. It's a DISASTER.
I doubt seriously you've had any exposure to it beyond the reality TV show you've previously mentioned. I've had more than 25 years worth of exposure to it, personally... in two separate states, and I know very well how wonderful it is for most kids that are homeschooled!

MOST homeschoolers are like this child in the video... they are well rounded, intelligent, well adjusted, kind, considerate, and love learning... because that's how they are taught! In my 25 plus years of being around homeschoolers, I've met 1 child who would fit into your stereotypes... and her mother was a former teacher! I've met a few heavily christian families, and although religiously we disagree, their children were still very well adjusted, social, and great kids to be around! However, in neither case, are they the "norm" for homeschoolers... they are the exception, not the rule. Which, if you HAD more than just a brief exposure to homeschooling (if you've had any), you would know!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I doubt seriously you've had any exposure to it beyond the reality TV show you've previously mentioned. I've had more than 25 years worth of exposure to it, personally... in two separate states, and I know very well how wonderful it is for most kids that are homeschooled!

MOST homeschoolers are like this child in the video... they are well rounded, intelligent, well adjusted, kind, considerate, and love learning... because that's how they are taught! In my 25 plus years of being around homeschoolers, I've met 1 child who would fit into your stereotypes... and her mother was a former teacher! I've met a few heavily christian families, and although religiously we disagree, their children were still very well adjusted, social, and great kids to be around! However, in neither case, are they the "norm" for homeschoolers... they are the exception, not the rule. Which, if you HAD more than just a brief exposure to homeschooling (if you've had any), you would know!
Oh but I do. That's how I know what happens with children during the day, just how much socializing they get, and why I say that there's a huge difference between spending hours with other peers, and being driven by "mom" to a local place to spend an hour with someone other than "mom." I'm also familiar with mothers that are clueless and highly uneducated, but insist on homeschooling, which is a whole nother subject I won't even bother with.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
I'm also familiar with mothers that are clueless and highly uneducated
Oh, are you a parent?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Oh but I do. That's how I know what happens with children during the day, just how much socializing they get, and why I say that there's a huge difference between spending hours with other peers, and being driven by "mom" to a local place to spend an hour with someone other than "mom." I'm also familiar with mothers that are clueless and highly uneducated, but insist on homeschooling, which is a whole nother subject I won't even bother with.
whole nother?

Glad to see you won't be home schooling anyone.

I think it's very telling that you claim to have so much first hand knowledge about a wide range of home schooling families and kids, and yet the only concrete example you give of the effects you believe are the inevitable result of most home schooling ventures comes from a reality TV show.

My experience with home schooling families comes from my two years of home schooling with my own kids, as well as my daughter's four years of home schooling her elementary age kids. In both cases, a large and very organized co-op was in place and the kids had PLENTY of opportunities for socialization with a wide variety of other families.

Also, both scenarios were on military installations, where families live close together, in very diverse neighborhoods and where it's very common for kids to still be "old fashioned" enough to play outside on the playgrounds for hours every evening. I don't know why that is so common in military housing - I guess just because the families are so young and I think military families tend to have a slightly higher birthrate than the civilian population. Anyway - lots of kids are around each other all the time, both in and out of a school setting.

I don't see why you are so dead set against home schooling families who use a structured curriculum, have their children tested regularly, and who take socialization very seriously. This is the situation with EVERY home schooling family I've known.

No, wait - I take that back. I did know one family that didn't do a good job of home schooling. The husband was deployed most of the time and the mother suffered from depression. She eventually put her kids back into public schools and I was glad to see it.

For that one example, I could give you twenty examples of kids doing very poorly in a public school setting.

We currently have three options in this nation - public schools, private schools, and home schooling. Until someone shows me definitive PROOF that public schools, or even private schools, do a better overall job at educating and preparing youngsters entrusted to their care for college and beyond, I'll continue to support the rights and responsibilities of home schooling families.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-15-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Oh, are you a parent?
No, but does a cancer surgeon have to have cancer to operate on cancer, or be able to identify it? Or can he merely study what it's like and know how to identify it?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,953 times
Quote:
No, but does a cancer surgeon have to have cancer to operate on cancer, or be able to identify it? Or can he merely study what it's like and know how to identify it?
But he does actually have to know what cancer is and have studied it... you've proven over and over again you know nothing about homeschooling and have not studied it in any way, shape or form... you've formed an opinion based on your prejudices, rather than actually getting to know any homeschoolers. Or even watching something about homeschooling other than a reality tv show!! So you're opinions are NOT comparable to a surgeons! Unless that surgeon is a "witch doctor".

Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
But he does actually have to know what cancer is and have studied it...
I'm glad you said that, since the moms doing homeschooling almost never have a degree in teaching, customarily don't know what they're doing, it's virtually impossible for someone to know how to teach every subject required at every grade, from 1 to 12, I don't believe the homeschooling BS myth that kids can learn everything "on their own" (they can't), and again, the socializing aspect of homeschoolers is dismally bad, and it affects them in the long run. Homeschoolers end up at 18 being completely naiive and unused to being away from "mom," and most of them unlearned, with no real GPA to speak of, and it's not fair to do that to kids simply because the parents want to engage in a little mind-control experiment.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Woosh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies