Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,970,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Here are 70 research papers for you to look at. Not one has found a reduction in poverty from min wage laws. What they did find was that if people are already making more than min wage then you can raise the wage floor without any negative side effects. Otherwise, people not worth the min wage will not get hired in the first place. One of the studies compares the min wage impacts between Iowa and Louisiana. In IA they min wage would effect white college students the most and in LA the min wage would impact black HS dropouts the most. The college students were uneffected while the HS dropouts saw an increase in unemployment rates.

Do Minimum Wages Fight Poverty?
Employment Policies Institute | Minimum Wage: Research
Minimum wage research: The case for a higher minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You make broad policy analysis and conclusions based upon an anecdotal sample of one?
No...I am saying that the more a person contributes to a company's bottom line, the more they will be compensated. You are more than welcome to sign up for a freshmen level economics course at a community college if you want to understand better. The more difficult it is to find a certain skill set, the more money one must pay to gain those skills. If I can close my eyes, post an ad on monster.com and get 200 people who are willing to answer phones and tell people to wait on a couch for $8/hr, why would I pay more than $8/hr? On the other hand, if I also need a person to spend 15 hours/week analyzing sales data and I was going to bring in a contractor for $15/hr, but the receptionist is willing to do that work in addition to hers for an extra $5/hr, I would be insane not to take that deal. She gains an additional $7/hr and I save $10/hr which can be put to use in other areas of the company.

How is that 'anecdotal'? It is a math problem. As in most threads, please actually put an ounce of thought into the finances of something.

Read through this link before asking again:

Economic Basics: Supply And Demand Tutorial

Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM

That research advocates for increased unemployment along with minimum wage increases. Do you seriously want to enact legislation that will increase unemployment further in today's economy?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,120,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Two full-time, 40 hr/week jobs? I know a lot of people who have taken on a second job, but I do not know anyone who has worked two F/T jobs.
No, I didn't need that much to live on. I made enough to get by at my first job but wanted to make more to be more comfortable and qualify for financing a new car.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,970,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No...I am saying that the more a person contributes to a company's bottom line, the more they will be compensated. You are more than welcome to sign up for a freshmen level economics course at a community college if you want to understand better. The more difficult it is to find a certain skill set, the more money one must pay to gain those skills. If I can close my eyes, post an ad on monster.com and get 200 people who are willing to answer phones and tell people to wait on a couch for $8/hr, why would I pay more than $8/hr? On the other hand, if I also need a person to spend 15 hours/week analyzing sales data and I was going to bring in a contractor for $15/hr, but the receptionist is willing to do that work in addition to hers for an extra $5/hr, I would be insane not to take that deal. She gains an additional $7/hr and I save $10/hr which can be put to use in other areas of the company.

How is that 'anecdotal'? It is a math problem. As in most threads, please actually put an ounce of thought into the finances of something.

Read through this link before asking again:

Economic Basics: Supply And Demand Tutorial
thanks for the snide advice but I already have an advanced degree in the field. But I do note that people with the most knowledge in any area know that academic disagreements exits. Only those with the least knowledge think they have the monopoly on being correct.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,133,547 times
Quote:
No...I am saying that the more a person contributes to a company's bottom line, the more they will be compensated. You are more than welcome to sign up for a freshmen level economics course at a community college if you want to understand better.
Lol...

I don't know about freshmen economics but in the real world at these low level jobs doing more rarely gets you more. It usually just gets you more work and makes you the one they keep when they downsize.

The companies that are more likely to compensate you for your worth aren't the same companies paying minimum or near minimum wage.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
thanks for the snide advice but I already have an advanced degree in the field. But I do note that people with the most knowledge in any area know that academic disagreements exits. Only those with the least knowledge think they have the monopoly on being correct.
What part of the scenario I described do you disagree with? If that receptionist presents that proposal to his/her boss showing how paying her $7/hr more to do the extra work saves him $20,000/year, ($10/hr, 40 hrs/week, 50 weeks worked per year) are you saying that the boss will say no to it? What is your advanced degree in? You seem to be adverse to looking at the financial side of anything on these forums, so it surprises me to hear you have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Lol...

I don't know about freshmen economics but in the real world at these low level jobs doing more rarely gets you more. It usually just gets you more work and makes you the one they keep when they downsize.

The companies that are more likely to compensate you for your worth aren't the same companies paying minimum or near minimum wage.
How hard you work is meaningless. How much you can prove you can add to the company is what pays more.

Look at the example I gave above. Figure out how much money you will save your company by doing the extra work, ask your boss if you can do it in exchange for a higher salary and prove to him/her with numbers how much money you will save the company.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:02 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,276,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The second link you provided is to the ersatz Employment Policies Institute which was founded by notorious publicist Peter Berman. It masquerades as a research institute but is really a mouthpiece for corporate interests. It regularly argues against increases in minimum wage, somehow arguing that this will end up "hurting" the poor. Funny how this group doesn't find that high CEO salaries hurt the rich. I would not put credence into what that site reports.

Facts on Berman | Berman Exposed
Most of the research papers have no association with EPI so your opinion of the organization has no effect on the credibility of the research. If they were in fact biased then they would not list any research that does not condemn min wage and that isn't the case. In fact, they have listed papers that found benefits from raising the min wage.

Here is some more research.

Minimum Wages and Employment: A Review of Evidence from the New Minimum Wage Research
http://web.worldbank.org/archive/web...S/MINIMUMW.PDF
The Low-Wage Labor Market:* Does the Minimum Wage Help or Hurt Low-Wage Workers?
Center on Wage and Employment Dynamics (CWED)
http://www.cepr.net/documents/public...ge-2013-02.pdf
http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f.../pdf/PA701.pdf

Old 03-13-2013, 03:02 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,120,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Lol...

That's not true at all. Our restaurant employs most everyone at around min wage, except managers. I just recommended someone for a raise b/c he was always wanting to pick up shifts, he did anything I told him without question or complaint, he wanted to learn more and asked a lot of questions about how the store operates, that kind of thing. He stays busy even in down time and has shown initiative, these are really important qualities to an employer.

If you're in a job where you're not recognized or rewarded for your successes and improvements, then you should find somewhere else that will do that. Or else quit complaining.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,133,547 times
Quote:
Look at the example I gave above. Figure out how much money you will save your company by doing the extra work, ask your boss if you can do it in exchange for a higher salary and prove to him/her with numbers how much money you will save the company.
That may work in a small business.

That's not going to fly in the run of the mill minimum wage job.

Try that at Wal-Mart or McDs or even a nursing home or hospital. Most minimum wage jobs are offered by highly regimented corporate employers. They rarely do things like this.

Not going to happen.

You see this in jobs that are more than minimum wage slave fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies