Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If an employee proves to me that they are worth more money, I will pay them more. We had a receptionist who voluntarily started doing extra work in her downtime, and a year later she was moved into a new job that paid dramatically more money and we hired a new receptionist. If you prove you are worth more money, you WILL get more money.
I did the same thing. They are worth higher pay even when they do not currently have the skill because they are willing to learn. Employees with good attitudes are hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 01:50 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
People who say that they have lived easily on minimum wage are those people who will be out of business or some disaster will happen to them if they earn less then 100K now. They also hate the poor people and will never live in a neighborhood where people on minimum wage live. According to them, people struggling on minimum wage are lazy and they are responsible for their plight. But if they employ anyone, they will give him minimum wage and then they will start praising the minimum wage saying how good it is. Same Republican logic continues.
Uh huh... Min wage is an absolutely horrid idea and has not helped move people out of poverty or improved opportunities for lower skilled people. How many min wage increases have there been? It looks like there have been 2 in the last 5 years. Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955

There is only one poster that I know of that is working for min wage and by his own admission he chose not to improve his career prospects and wants to complain about his choices now. If that is your typical min wage worker then they are in fact lazy, but most people won't stay in min wage. I worked min wage in HS but made more than min wage before I graduated. Granted, there are some displaced workers that will only be able to get min wage jobs, but if they are worth anything they will move up or out pretty quick. It is really dependent on the local market conditions. Parts of the USA has WMT paying $17/hr for entry level employees, but there is no way they could pay that nationwide without significant price increases or affecting their competitiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This makes no sense.

I'm an employer and do not support any min wage b/c it interferes with the free market. People will only work for a wage they agree to, no one is being forced to work for any particular wage.
^^^ Essentially this.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I've worked two jobs at several points in my life.
Two full-time, 40 hr/week jobs? I know a lot of people who have taken on a second job, but I do not know anyone who has worked two F/T jobs.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I did the same thing. They are worth higher pay even when they do not currently have the skill because they are willing to learn. Employees with good attitudes are hard to find.
"You just can't get good help these days", LOL!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Two full-time, 40 hr/week jobs? I know a lot of people who have taken on a second job, but I do not know anyone who has worked two F/T jobs.
I know three people that currently work 2 full time jobs. They are all immigrants and ironically all loathe democratic policies.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Uh huh... Min wage is an absolutely horrid idea and has not helped move people out of poverty or improved opportunities for lower skilled people.
How do you know it doesn't help? It seems to me that the research says otherwise.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
How do you know it doesn't help? It seems to me that the research says otherwise.
Here are 70 research papers for you to look at. Not one has found a reduction in poverty from min wage laws. What they did find was that if people are already making more than min wage then you can raise the wage floor without any negative side effects. Otherwise, people not worth the min wage will not get hired in the first place. One of the studies compares the min wage impacts between Iowa and Louisiana. In IA they min wage would effect white college students the most and in LA the min wage would impact black HS dropouts the most. The college students were uneffected while the HS dropouts saw an increase in unemployment rates.

Do Minimum Wages Fight Poverty?
Employment Policies Institute | Minimum Wage: Research

Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Here are 70 research papers for you to look at. Not one has found a reduction in poverty from min wage laws. What they did find was that if people are already making more than min wage then you can raise the wage floor without any negative side effects. Otherwise, people not worth the min wage will not get hired in the first place. One of the studies compares the min wage impacts between Iowa and Louisiana. In IA they min wage would effect white college students the most and in LA the min wage would impact black HS dropouts the most. The college students were uneffected while the HS dropouts saw an increase in unemployment rates.

Do Minimum Wages Fight Poverty?
Employment Policies Institute | Minimum Wage: Research

The second link you provided is to the ersatz Employment Policies Institute which was founded by notorious publicist Peter Berman. It masquerades as a research institute but is really a mouthpiece for corporate interests. It regularly argues against increases in minimum wage, somehow arguing that this will end up "hurting" the poor. Funny how this group doesn't find that high CEO salaries hurt the rich. I would not put credence into what that site reports.

Facts on Berman | Berman Exposed

Old 03-13-2013, 02:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Our old receptionist would read magazines when she wasn't answering phones, dealing with mail or dealing with someone coming in the door (which was fine...she did her job well), but she never got more than a cost of living raise. The new one sent emails out asking if anyone needed help with anything instead of reading a magazine. It is a pretty no brainer how she got promoted...

Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Our old receptionist would read magazines when she wasn't answering phones, dealing with mail or dealing with someone coming in the door (which was fine...she did her job well), but she never got more than a cost of living raise. The new one sent emails out asking if anyone needed help with anything instead of reading a magazine. It is a pretty no brainer how she got promoted...
You make broad policy analysis and conclusions based upon an anecdotal sample of one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies