Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 PM

491 posts, read 749,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

most raises are based on an ANNUAL REVIEW

way back (in the 80's)when I was making like $15 an hour...had an annual review...said I was doing good...said give you a 1% raise...I ARGUED that inflation was 3% ( about 45 cent)and guess what...got it....

those getting .25cent raise...need to debate the WORTHINESS of their jobs
You know this is true for everyone company how? Just because you got an annual review does not mean everyone does. Maybe their employers need to debate the worthiness of their jobs existing if they are only giving small raises to the people doing these jobs. It is interesting on how people who work low wage are crapped on for working these jobs but no mention on the business who created these crappy jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 PM

491 posts, read 749,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and the way the fascist liberals talk, giving the UNSKILLED a $2 raise will solve all our ills

fact raising the min wage AGAIN, (you just did it in 07, and 09 (part of the economic collaps)) will cause many SMALL BUSINESS ( even the libs admit we RUN ON SMALL BUSINESS) who's profit margin is only 1% to close, or to fire people, or raise prices, or all/part of the above.
Min wage raising had nothing to do with economic collapse since it has barely gone up. If small business can not pay their employees well and we have to support their workers maybe they should not be in business. I guess complaining that paying employees more is a good way for small businesses to not have to pay more then they have to. The min wage going up has never cause the bad things people claim it will.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
. It is interesting on how people who work low wage are crapped on for working these jobs but no mention on the business who created these crappy jobs.
The job could not be crappy, for both parties, employer and employee freely agreed on the terms of employment up front. No coercion was involved.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
I can't believe anyone with half a brain would think raising the minimum wage would do any good at all. I mean I've been thinking this over since tuesday night and I can't think of one thing that would be positive about it..... not one.

It would make the cost of living go up dramaticaly so the people who got the raise would be no better off then they were were and people in entry level jobs making anywhere from 10-15 hourly would be far worse off than they are now.

It will cause layoffs, higher unemployment, more people leaching off the system by collecting unemployment benefits, less people spending money while they are unemployed which makes for a worse economy and prevents businesses from growing, expanding, hiring new people......

I mean, can anyone tell me ONE thing that would be better off with a raise in minimum wage? Although, I suppose none of what I just said matters to the majority of Obama supporters or the American population for that matter, because my guess is that they are incapable of thinking that far ahead. All they hear is that Obama wants to "giv'em somp'em"......

Not surprising in this "what can you give me" type of society we are living in

Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Many people living on minimum wage today are not unskilled workers. Half the people working at my local Starbucks have college degrees. If minimum wage is the best that even educated and skilled workers can get then we need to raise it.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The standard of living in the US is going down but the prices are not so government has to step in and somehow fill the gap either through expanded social welfare programs or mandating higher wages.

That's just reality folks. Walmart is the #1 employer in the US today is proof enough about which way we're headed.
Walmart has brought more poor people out of poverty than welfare ever did. My friend started out as an associate nine years ago and now makes a six-figure salary as a store manager. She never went to college, she's a minority, and a single mother. When has welfare ever accomplished that?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Many people living on minimum wage today are not unskilled workers. Half the people working at my local Starbucks have college degrees. If minimum wage is the best that even educated and skilled workers can get then we need to raise it.
Yep, we need to raise it so that stores and small businesses have to raise their prices on eveyrthing so they can pay their workers the new wage. Now, those employees are no better off than they were before the raise and people who made slightly more than min. wage and didn't get the raise are far worse off because their dollar is worth less now.

Are you people serious? I mean, are you really incapable of thinking this far ahead?

Something tells me that most of you would be absolutely terrible at playing Chess.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Min wage raising had nothing to do with economic collapse since it has barely gone up. If small business can not pay their employees well and we have to support their workers maybe they should not be in business. I guess complaining that paying employees more is a good way for small businesses to not have to pay more then they have to. The min wage going up has never cause the bad things people claim it will.
Ugh! This is the most assanine comment I've seen in a while (and that's saying something as I just read a whole slew of them from HoodsofATL in his thread about Post Traumatic Slavery Syndrome). So, you'd rather a business shut down entirely if they couldn't afford to pay their employees well? How would that help the economy? In case you missed it, it's not small businesses moving their companies or expanding their workforces in other countries. And people demogague the one industry that provides high wages to people without college degrees - oil and gas. The green energy companies aren't going to be hiring a whole bunch of people with only high school diplomas (or a bunch of people period).

Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
What did they get their degree in. Computer science, accounting, engineering, decision science, math, nursing, finance, biology?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
You know this is true for everyone company how? Just because you got an annual review does not mean everyone does. Maybe their employers need to debate the worthiness of their jobs existing if they are only giving small raises to the people doing these jobs. It is interesting on how people who work low wage are crapped on for working these jobs but no mention on the business who created these crappy jobs.
I've been working for well over 35 years...that's how

99% of all businesses run that way...you give your employees annual reviews...show their plus's/minus's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies