Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Having worked in HR and staffing for about fifteen years I can tell you that the vast majority of workers with a good work ethic move quickly out of the "minimum wage or close to it" bracket - even TEMPS that are hired through staffing companies! Heck, I worked for a very good staffing company who wouldn't even work for companies that paid minimum wage because if we did have them as customers, we weren't able to attract quality employees.

Work hard, work smart and you won't be working for minimum wage for long.

How does a "minimum wage or close to it" worker without marketable skills more out of it?

To what do they move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

for 2 years everything is an excuse with you

cant do it...no money/..no experience...bad parents...its the landlords fault....etc

let's see you flipped burgers.....you LEARNED cooking, cleaning, cleaning grease traps, sanitizing, changing frying oil, how to hook up a soda head, stocking, what is frozen/refrigerated......plus hundreads of more tasks

you worked at a pizza joint...you delivered...during you time between deliveries did you learn how to make a sauce...some dough...temp of an oven...how to grate cheese...proper way to sclice... maybe service to the eat in customers......and many more

convience store...like a deli....you learned stock, inventory control, product placement, loss prevention...income/debt....and hundreads more tasks

too bad everything is an excuse to you

That is rich - richer than the prepared company sauces which were trucked in weekly. Managers and their assistants did almost all of the pizza making (keading dough, saucing etc) and the drivers delivered pizzas, took phone orders, washed dishes, and did the cleanup.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I want to start a burger joint with $500 from each of 1,000 people. Explain how that is so easy anyone with $600 can do it.
Create a business plan. Show it to as many people as it takes to convince 1,000 of them to invest $500 in your plan.

The HOW is ridiculously easy. Now, do you have the skills & abilities to do it?

Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that I've never spent more than a couple of weeks underemployed or underpaid. If I had to take a job that wasn't well paid (which wasn't often), I just kept looking till I was able to upgrade. Or until I was able to negotiate a better compensation package.

Networking, continuing education, hard work, etc. - you just can't SETTLE or get complacent or fall into victim mode.

When I'm working for an employer, I still keep my irons in the fire - my resume updated, my options open, my networking going strong, my work ethic and continuing education going strong in order to increase my worth. You never know when an opportunity may come along. But if you're too busy playing video games after your 6 hour work day, and too busy surfing the net on your phone while you're at work, you will probably never see the opportunities. (Not you personally - I just mean anyone of course.)

I'm trying to get my mind around the concept of networking for burger flippers.

"I just made a bunch of money by switching to GEICO...I mean Wendy's!

Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Create a business plan. Show it to as many people as it takes to convince 1,000 of them to invest $500 in your plan.

The HOW is ridiculously easy. Now, do you have the skills & abilities to do it?

The legals are considerably more complicated, you'd have to register a stock offering with the SEC, for example, and that would be expensive and complicated.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:51 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Well last night the dumbass called for raising the minimum wage to a "livable wage".

Where do these morons get the notion that minimum wage is meant to be a living wage? It is an ENTRY level wage, it's not something meant to support your family on.

Minimum wage is for low to no skilled workers, nothing more nothing less. This is just another tactic designed to increase the costs incurred by business owners and will result on a net loss of jobs if this jackass gets his way.
But most minimum wage jobs do not lead to better jobs. Most minimum wage jobs are dead end jobs.

Remember, the minimum wage was worth much more when it was first instituted than it is today. Periodic raises in the minimum wage have lagged FAR behind the rate of inflation.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
The legals are considerably more complicated, you'd have to register a stock offering with the SEC, for example, and that would be expensive and complicated.
No freemkt you don't.

LLC is all you need to get yourself in business.
You're first business venture is not to go against McDonalds is it ?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No freemkt you don't.

LLC is all you need to get yourself in business.
You're first business venture is not to go against McDonalds is it ?

Of course not...just a local burger joint. Don't think you can simply do an LLC with 500 investors.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But most minimum wage jobs do not lead to better jobs. Most minimum wage jobs are dead end jobs.

Remember, the minimum wage was worth much more when it was first instituted than it is today. Periodic raises in the minimum wage have lagged FAR behind the rate of inflation.
Well sure. They are not entry level with promises of promotions and new job duties.
Sure a few go on to management but for most, its lemming work.

One would have to apply for those better jobs once they got a little experience under their belt.
These types of jobs are also very transient and within 6 months you could be the employee there the longest.

Obtaining a GED is free and so is learning English at the local CC's and they have classes at all hours and days to accomodate people because these are the people they are targeting.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
I worked for an employer who owned several high-volume convenience stores. Every hourly employee was paid within 25 cents of minimum wage (the ones paid more than minimum were lifers who had worked there over 10 years). Our employer netted $3M annually. He never had difficulty finding someone qualified to work for minimum wage.

If none of us were worth keeping, how was the business so profitable?
Please tell me why anyone would stay at a job for 10 years at that rate of pay? Your high volume convenience store owner likely expects that his employees will be transitory, and he builds that into his business plan. That he was fortunate enough to have them stay that long is probably an unexpected bonus, but not enough to cause him to alter the business model. He didn't need to increase wages, because, as you said, he was always able to find the quality workers with which he was satisfied, and that wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies