Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I want to start a burger joint with $500 from each of 1,000 people. Explain how that is so easy anyone with $600 can do it.
LOL you really are a piece of work. I didn't specify what sort of business. I have no idea what sort of business you are best suited for (if any).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Dang, if I was the worker making $10 and the workers below me - presumably with fewer skills, less experience, etc got a raise and I didn't - I'd be TICKED OFF. I'd be looking for another job - and the restaurant would lose it's most valuable worker.

See how that works?
You talk as if there are tons of jobs out there to take, if you go looking for another job.

Actually, pay inequities such as you speak of are more common than you might think. I've seen hospitals raise their starting salaries, and new nurses get hired in at a higher salary than some experienced nurses. A friend of mine worked in office admin and had similar experiences.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I worked for an employer who owned several high-volume convenience stores. Every hourly employee was paid within 25 cents of minimum wage (the ones paid more than minimum were lifers who had worked there over 10 years). Our employer netted $3M annually. He never had difficulty finding someone qualified to work for minimum wage.

If none of us were worth keeping, how was the business so profitable?
I guess because you were all crazy enough to keep working there. I wouldn't have worked there a week.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
I guess because you were all crazy enough to keep working there. I wouldn't have worked there a week.
But if it's the only job available for that person, that's where they must work.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You talk as if there are tons of jobs out there to take, if you go looking for another job.

Actually, pay inequities such as you speak of are more common than you might think. I've seen hospitals raise their starting salaries, and new nurses get hired in at a higher salary than some experienced nurses. A friend of mine worked in office admin and had similar experiences.
It depends on where you CHOOSE TO LIVE.

Here in Texas, jobs are plentiful and the cost of living is low. If a person can't make ends meet where they are living, perhaps they need to look at other options.

Which is why so many people are moving to Texas. WELCOME, Y'ALL!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
But if it's the only job available for that person, that's where they must work.
All I can tell you is that I've never spent more than a couple of weeks underemployed or underpaid. If I had to take a job that wasn't well paid (which wasn't often), I just kept looking till I was able to upgrade. Or until I was able to negotiate a better compensation package.

Networking, continuing education, hard work, etc. - you just can't SETTLE or get complacent or fall into victim mode.

When I'm working for an employer, I still keep my irons in the fire - my resume updated, my options open, my networking going strong, my work ethic and continuing education going strong in order to increase my worth. You never know when an opportunity may come along. But if you're too busy playing video games after your 6 hour work day, and too busy surfing the net on your phone while you're at work, you will probably never see the opportunities. (Not you personally - I just mean anyone of course.)

Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
It depends on where you CHOOSE TO LIVE.

Here in Texas, jobs are plentiful and the cost of living is low. If a person can't make ends meet where they are living, perhaps they need to look at other options.

Which is why so many people are moving to Texas. WELCOME, Y'ALL!
Right. All minimum wage earners should pack up and move to Texas. Back in the 80s, the steel industry in Pittsburgh collapsed. Many people left, some came back b/c they couldn't find anything better in their Nirvana, including such growth states as Arizona (at the time) and Texas.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Right. All minimum wage earners should pack up and move to Texas. Back in the 80s, the steel industry in Pittsburgh collapsed. Many people left, some came back b/c they couldn't find anything better in their Nirvana, including such growth states as Arizona (at the time) and Texas.
Any worker with a good work ethic and marketable skills should be able to make a living in Texas. That's what I'm saying.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:

That's nothing new though and has been going on for decades.
Back in the 90's it was quite common to job hop to get a raise and then come back at a higher starting salary.

Then again jobs were plentiful back then in high tech.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's nothing new though and has been going on for decades.
Back in the 90's it was quite common to job hop to get a raise and then come back at a higher starting salary.

Then again jobs were plentiful back then in high tech.
I agree on both counts in your first sentence. I've seen that in hospitals since the 70s. I just disagree that it causes people to leave their jobs for another. Maybe in high tech in the 90s for the young singles, and the very aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies