Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,032,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Oh really? I rented a cottage once and when the owners relocated and sold the property, we agreed on a price for the cottage but the city would not allow then to sell me the guest house independently of the other house on the property.
so you live in a gov run city.too bad. go west young man and discover freedom. but not to far west or you will be in the same communist boat.you loosers that put up with that junk crack me up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
You are not supposed to be "living" on minimum wage. Those expenses are incurred by your parents. Miniumum wage is to get you some experience in the job world so employers can evaluate your talents and abilities. If you are worth keeping, you will be given a raise in six months.

Reality FAIL. Half of all minimum wage workers today are 25 or older.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
half of all min wage workers have Nothing to offer,skills,tools drivers licence,functioning brains,etc. but they all have smart phones,facebook,text all day, and lie

Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
That's an very misleading stat put out by the BoLS. They take the number working minimum wage 1.7 million PLUS add in another 2.2 million that they state are making less than minimum wage.

Wait staff make less than minimum wage but as discussed here many times their actual pay in a large percentage of these jobs is well over minumum wage.

Tables 1 - 10; Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM

491 posts, read 749,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhmmm...99% of the states have a min wage...and most are higher than the federal

again..FEDERALLY we should not have a min wage

very few if any though have it a 9 dollars though. Min wage where I live starts at 7.25 the reason to do it federally is to make sure states have a high enough min wage.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you mean lack of trying

starting out I worked TWO jobs...one for MONEY...the other for EXPERIENCE (training) (non-pay to boot)
That is good but you being able to do it does not prove everyone else can. Not everyone else may be as smart or well brought up as you. How do you know they are not trying unless you personally know them?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
That is good but you being able to do it does not prove everyone else can. Not everyone else may be as smart or well brought up as you. How do you know they are not trying unless you personally know them?
Few Americans started out much beyond minimum wage; yet 1 in 37 make minimum now, so 36 of 37 did figure it out.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
I personally know many people I would never hire. We need to get things done on time and to standards,lazy just there for a paycheck types are never welcome and most job service employees are thieves looking for a mark. move up or move out.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,840,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'm ok with anyone having the right to accept whatever wage they can convince an employer to pay, or want to accept. I've educated myself and worked to gain experience so that I am worth, and can command, more than $2.00 per hour..
so you would have no problem then if thousands more immigrants, trained in the real estate business, came in which allowed the employer to pay you $2hr?

You would be willing to accept this and lose all your perks - I doubt that somehow.

like I said , you are fine with OTHER people earning this low amount, yet quickly construct self-justification when your own interests are at stake.

And this is what everyone tends to do, especially those paying the wages.

So we must have min wage to avoid the inevitable race to the bottom.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Few Americans started out much beyond minimum wage; yet 1 in 37 make minimum now, so 36 of 37 did figure it out.
That is true but how many actually get to a living wage. Most are making $1 maybe $2 above min wage not enough still to live on still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies