Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,468,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Good post.

That is it really - the African immigrants were never slaves and they don't share the same experience as do the descendants of American slaves.
Doesn't this just confirm what some black leaders say, namely that the legacy of slavery is still responsible, even today, for lower achievement rates among African-Americans?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Time for another argument thread here:

Tho racism IS a problem for at least most dark skin "Black" people in the US; why do Blacks from Nigeria, Kenya and so on do so WELL as a group here? Word is they're more successful than even Asians and Jews. Our POTUS Obama is half Kenyan.

While Black Americans play the race/victim card, People from Africa(real african americans) are coming here taking care of business, getting their education, taking advantage of the same opportunites that black americans have.

Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Doesn't this just confirm what some black leaders say, namely that the legacy of slavery is still responsible, even today, for lower achievement rates among African-Americans?
No.

Their are a myriad of reasons why their is a low achievement rate among African-Americans, but the existence of slavery is not one of them. If it were, then there would be no successful black people in this country, yet there are many. They managed to achieve success somehow - so the slavery issue is moot.

Often it has roots in the home, where there is an absent father. The misguided war on drugs has gutted many homes and can be pinpointed as a culprit. Other times striving to achieve or do well in school is denigrated as "acting white" and so students are shamed into remaining mediocre. The fact of life in poor neighborhoods in another setback. I could go on, but you should get my drift.

The point is that the current generation of black Americans has no connection with slavery and that cannot be used as an excuse.

One has to want to achieve from within, and in America anyone can achieve whatever they wish if they work hard enough.

The choice is incumbant on everyone.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Africans have a different narrative than American Blacks. Racism plays a part, and the history of this nation plays a part. Africans are coming here by choice, and you find educated, hard working Africans coming here.]

American Blacks were historically held down for a long time in the USA via slavery and Jim Crow. Sure, all of those things have ended. However, Black Americans have had some catching up to do. More Blacks have university-level degrees than ever before. More Black Americans are in the middle class than ever before. Much of the worst behavior seen from Black Americans takes place mainly among the poor.

However, with Africans, they are coming here, not with the feeling of being a minority, but of coming from another country, a different culture.
This.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Pretty much, I have come across ethipians, nigerians and kenyans. They are some of the hardest working most focused people I have every worked with. Occasionally they can be very set on their opinion and will argue with you intensely, but can't fault someone for standing their ground
You could say the same of African-Americans.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Africans have a different narrative than American Blacks. Racism plays a part, and the history of this nation plays a part. Africans are coming here by choice, and you find educated, hard working Africans coming here.]

American Blacks were historically held down for a long time in the USA via slavery and Jim Crow. Sure, all of those things have ended. However, Black Americans have had some catching up to do. More Blacks have university-level degrees than ever before. More Black Americans are in the middle class than ever before. Much of the worst behavior seen from Black Americans takes place mainly among the poor.

However, with Africans, they are coming here, not with the feeling of being a minority, but of coming from another country, a different culture.
This.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
You could say the same of African-Americans.
My experience, is yes I have worked with some dedicated hard working african-americans. But non of them worked as hard as some of the true african immigrants.

and before people start getting all racial on me, I will say the same goes for white, hispanic, and asians I have worked with.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
This pretty much sums it up. Great post
Just throwing in my part in this. And if you know the causes, you can come up with solutions to combat certain problems.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Good post.

That is it really - the African immigrants were never slaves and they don't share the same experience as do the descendants of American slaves.

That is just reality.

Too often, black Americans are put into a box and aren't able to express a story of individuality.

Actually that occurs with all ethnic backgrounds.

The one area where our republic has seen a drastic improvement is in race relations.

It is too bad that some liberals want to foment division rather than promote unity.
I agreed with everything until the political part of this.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Culture, heritage and language are in tact. Not having to deal with the difficult history that African-Americans (and others in the diaspora) have as heritage.

However, even with the high education levels that African immigrants have in the U.S., they have the highest or one of the highest unemployment rates among the immigrants. They are also paid lower. Though European immigrants have lesser levels of education than African & Asian immigrants, their employment rates are the lowest of all groups. It's just that the African ethnicities tend to work together and sacrifice to overcome the challenges that come with life in the
Refugees probably skew the numbers downwards a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies