Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times

Advertisements

Goodyear tyre plant: American tycoon refuses to rescue French tyre factory because the workers are ¿lazy, overpaid and talk too much¿ | Mail Online

Last edited by rainroosty; 02-21-2013 at 03:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
I remember going to Eurodisney (Paris Disneyland now) when it first opened. It was about 6 months into it and I'm buying the wife and I tickets. I started talking with the girl selling tickets and it dawned on me she was speaking English. She was 19 yrs old and had worked at Disneyworld. According to her, Disney had laid off a bunch of the French workers for the same reason: Very poor work ethic.

She got to work in Paris, live there for 2-3 yrs rent paid for and get her regular pay. Not a bad gig all in all.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 AM

51 posts, read 32,613 times
I don't know about this company but I do know that a report came out that showed American workers were treated much worse than workers in Europe.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,748 times
that's just 'talk', the French economy would be a total zero, non existing, if they only worked three hours a day...they have a different work ethic, they don't believe in working 12 hour days but they enjoy life more. What can be wrong with that? They work to live not the other way round, like they do in some countries. I used to work doubles and so on in the US, here they have the 38 hour week and at least you have time to enjoy life when you're not just property of the boss. In France they work 36 hour weeks and some people do work a lot more than that. You can't compare Disney with regular French workplaces. Disney is US style and they expect you work like a dog...and guess who gets rich? Not you!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
that's just 'talk', the French economy would be a total zero, non existing, if they only worked three hours a day...they have a different work ethic, they don't believe in working 12 hour days but they enjoy life more. What can be wrong with that? They work to live not the other way round, like they do in some countries. I used to work doubles and so on in the US, here they have the 38 hour week and at least you have time to enjoy life when you're not just property of the boss. In France they work 36 hour weeks and some people do work a lot more than that. You can't compare Disney with regular French workplaces. Disney is US style and they expect you work like a dog...and guess who gets rich? Not you!
Heres some reading on the subject.

Overworked America: 12 Charts That Will Make Your Blood Boil | Mother Jones

Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandUSA View Post
Pick any chart and I'll explain it for you without the spin.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Pick any chart and I'll explain it for you without the spin.

Wouldn't it be easier if you pick one and do it? I'm listening.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
According to ranking by productivity, French worker productivity is ranked number 6 while the U.S. is ranked number 4. Norway is #1.
List of countries by GDP (PPP) per hour worked - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think there is much difference between American productivity and that of the French. I think the billionaire in question is using bias and stereotypes as his guide.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 AM

30,400 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
According to ranking by productivity, French worker productivity is ranked number 6 while the U.S. is ranked number 4. Norway is #1.
List of countries by GDP (PPP) per hour worked - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think there is much difference between American productivity and that of the French. I think the billionaire in question is using bias and stereotypes as his guide.
That's what I suspected...how else could they maintain a well-functioning affluent society given the low hours worked if they weren't productive and itelligent with their work time.

I think that we should look at what the French do to see if we can incorporate some of their ideas. Part of me loves the idea of the French lifestyle of shifting the work/life balance more towards life enjoyment instead of material accumulation with significant enjoymnet of great food and wine.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 AM

46 posts, read 178,072 times
the boss of goodyear wants to close the factory, so the production is slowing down, the workers can't work 8 h , because tires will not be sold. that's why they don't work 8h a day

french people think differently than american people, we think about life, health, retirement and vacation, not working all day long and going sick.
the law in france is 35h a week.
we have vacations, health insurance, retirement, and the best europe factory is in france at Foix small city in the south.
i'm french, of course evrything is not perfect, but my wife who is a US girl, when she looked at the differences, told me, why "are we stupid and doing this way"
so i answered, because your brain are just thinking about money
that's it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies