Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, and believe it or not, there were grocery stores "back then" as well. No one, not even people who lived on farms, grew everything.

Then address the poster, not a whole category of people.

I dunno; it seemed like you were advocating self-sufficiency. Now you have explained yourself. More people lived on farms and in small towns in WW II. And honestly, I don't think you always save that much, if any, money by growing your own, esp. from canning/freezing.
I did. If you go back you'll see I quoted that poster above my comments.

You took my reply to that poster and replied as if I replied to you.

A community garden will never replace all your food. That is what this thread is about..community gardens.
Tomatoes, peppers, string beans and maybe melon and strawberries. Save a few bucks and eat fresh food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,074,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
One way we could make the poor have some skin the game is for them to grow their own food. I've read some articles suggesting such gardening could save Detroit, seeing how there is plenty of abandoned lots over there. I think Urban Farming is something that should be given some serious thought, given the economic conditions in this country.
The poor, generally, don't make efforts, above the barest minimum. That is why they are poor.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,942 times
Being poor is sometimes depressing.

A good citizen should be allowed to grow his or her own pot and corn.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yet, here you all are, poo pooing anyone who does just that. I think it's ironic that you should post that statement when all you and others like you do is whine on an internet forum 24/7.
Then if the poor are out there doing so much, why is Obama hiking the food stamp rates to such incredible rates? We've never seen the money spent on food stamps as high as it is right now. I work for my living, I'm not mooching off anyone.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,656,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So no one is going to bring up SNAP cards and such??? Much less tedious than getting dirt under your nails...
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Todays poor are comfortably poor. With SNAP cards, WIC, school breakfast and lunch for your kids, food pantries, food co-ops, soup kitchens, and churches. nobody needs to fend for themselves.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:03 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,235,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, and believe it or not, there were grocery stores "back then" as well. No one, not even people who lived on farms, grew everything.

Then address the poster, not a whole category of people.

I dunno; it seemed like you were advocating self-sufficiency. Now you have explained yourself. More people lived on farms and in small towns in WW II. And honestly, I don't think you always save that much, if any, money by growing your own, esp. from canning/freezing.
Actually you could save a bunch.

If you were working it would be more economic to buy at the grocery store.

But my argument is that since the people aren't working...

...When ever they aren't looking for employment they could be working on the garden. It does take a bit of start up cost, but it's not that much at all.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,827,549 times
The poor don't need to grow their own food. They eat better than anyone with all the food stamps they get.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Lingonberries are not cherries.

I know this because they grew on my Russian farm, and I can't find them fresh in the south...
Who said they were?

There are also high-bush cranberries, also known as mooseberries. Both make excellent jam, or on a baked pork loin with sauteed granny-smith apples and Calvados. Mmmmm.....

They grow all over south-central Alaska.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,738,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why don't people research what "poor" people do in their communities to alleviate their own poverty before opening threads question why they don't do the things that they are and have been doing for years?
Because the right wing hates the poor intensely, and they can't think up enough ways to attack, degrade and insult the poor, but they try their best to give the appearance of being helpful while expressing hostility toward them.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The poor don't need to grow their own food. They eat better than anyone with all the food stamps they get.
Then the middle-class needs to grow their own food so the have enough money to pay government to feed the poor better than what the middle-class eats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies