Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
BTW, I flew over Iran a few days ago going from Dubai to Washington on Emirates. I got kind of nervous thinking WTF, do you they even allow U.S. bound commerical planes to go over Iran?
You need to relax. And what do you think will happen? This may happen if you have an emergency landing - the plane gets fixed by capable technicians and, OH NO takes off without incident. Yes this was in 2005 but relations are about the same:

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/104...anding-in-iran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You need to relax. And what do you think will happen? This may happen if you have an emergency landing - the plane gets fixed by capable technicians and, OH NO takes off without incident. Yes this was in 2005 but relations are about the same:

Northwest Airlines Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Iran
Well, it's generous on Iran's part given that the U.S. shot down an Iranian jetliner in 1988. And let's not forget the Iran hostage crisis before that in 1979-1981. I can only hope things have changed since those incidents, but it's certainly worrisome.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Well, it's generous on Iran's part given that the U.S. shot down an Iranian jetliner in 1988. And let's not forget the Iran hostage crisis before that in 1979-1981. I can only hope things have changed since those incidents, but it's certainly worrisome.
Things haven't changed diplomatically since 1979, and accidents happen in a war zone (in 1988 the Iran-Iraq war was still in progress) and even outside of war zones (Russia shooting down KAL flight 007 in 1983).

But those are as much technical failures (inability to identify friend vs. foe) as much as human errors, trigger happy ship commanders working in a war zone while under fire, or paranoid Russians. Technology has improved, and Iran is not at war. And $62 million (the amount the US paid to families for the error) bought alot of forgiveness. Lets just say shooting down a US airliner by Iran at the current time, even by accident, will result in Iran being turned to a glass sheet. No air carrier seems to have any reservations on flying over Iran, and all countires being flown over, including Iran, get paid handsomly for the privledge of using it's airspace.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Weren't Israel going to attack Iran in spring of last year? What happened to that?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
OK guys, I tried a half cynical response for the less intellegent among you but no one caught on. There is absolutely nothing in the article (and I looked up an english version of the article) that supports a conclusion that the US will attack in June 2013. No evidence, no support, not even the vague quote from "unnamed sources" that news reports give when they are pulling something out of there ass.
The crazy leader in Iran's term ends in June, he cannot be elected to a third term. Now, the mullah's control Iran regardless, it's not considered a country with free elections, but still a power shift may happen. Political posturing is part of the game so you will see blustery talk by the US and Israel. But an attack will not make sense, it is illogical, until we see what the results are with their elections. Also, right now Iran is a stepping stone away from losing it's main ally - Syria, and the Iranian leaders other crazy buddy, Chavez in Venezuala, is about to take his dirt nap (strategically a non-issue, but still shows that Iran is losing it's hand in the diplomatic game) and that may change things as well.
So, NO, to make it simple - the "evil capitalist power" of the US will not be attacking Iran in June. Argentinians the world over can now sleep safe at night with that knowledge.

And yes US airlines can fly over Iran, just as they fly over Cuba all the time. I will be on my 2nd trip to India this year on Delta/KLM flying over north Iran, Pakistan, and (oh my GOD no (yes that's cynicism again)) Afighanistan. I think Delta has a codeshare flight with KLM that lands in Tehran. We have a trade embargo with Iran, we do not have a travel embargo however. Why do I feel like I am lecturing children?
having to explain your witicism should tell you something

Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
having to explain your witicism should tell you something
Excuse me? Do you have something to contribute to this thread (and looking at your posting history, which includes nonsensical "hyuk"s repeated over and over, I wonder if you have anything to contribute to this forum at all)?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
and the Iranian leaders other crazy buddy, Chavez in Venezuala, is about to take his dirt nap ...
HAHA...that's pretty funny. I swear I didn't know Chavez was dead or would die today (and good riddance to that scumbag). His death was 4:25 local time, is that before that thread?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Aw well. Dont mean to sound rude. But iran is thousands of miles away, as long as they dont drop a bomb on me I could care less what goes on in those mad countries.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
BTW, I flew over Iran a few days ago going from Dubai to Washington on Emirates. I got kind of nervous thinking WTF, do you they even allow U.S. bound commerical planes to go over Iran?
All the time. And the emirates plane will have a uae reg so they will not see it as a "threat".

Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
So, NO, to make it simple - the "evil capitalist power" of the US will not be attacking Iran in June. Argentinians the world over can now sleep safe at night with that knowledge.
So if not June, are we gonna attack them in July?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies