Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,514,738 times

Advertisements

Unemployment is now lower than the last month of G.W. Bush's term.
All sectors are up, the stock market is up, and housing is recovering.
Payrolls Rise as U.S. Jobless Rate Reaches Four-Year Low - Bloomberg

Cue the Obama haters in three, two, one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,288,936 times
A few things:

1) 7.7% has been reached before during the recovery, and unemployment has been +/-0.2% from 7.9% for the past six or so month. It's wobbling, not falling.

2) The labor force participation rate is dropping and now at a record low of 63.5%. That means that fewer people are even in the workforce and actively looking for work, artificially lowering the unemployment rate.

3) Job growth in 2012 through now has been lower than 2010 and 2011 on a monthly basis. February seems to be an aberration. It is highly inconsistent with little sustained momentum. BLS is also constantly revising stats; look at monthly net changes in employment and you'll see that they flop around from good to bad to good to bad again. On an annual basis, it's consistently a meagre 1.5% or so, which is pretty low.

The economy isn't particularly improving under Obama, but rather being painfully slow in its recovery. And don't expect any of these policies to change that.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Unemployment is now lower than the last month of G.W. Bush's term.
All sectors are up, the stock market is up, and housing is recovering.
Payrolls Rise as U.S. Jobless Rate Reaches Four-Year Low - Bloomberg

Cue the Obama haters in three, two, one...
Obama is on the road to sealing his legacy as one of the greatest leaders in American history. Even Lincoln had his detractors but is now considered one of the greatest. 50 years from now Obama will be in the club with the greatest of the great, maybe even on our currency. Go Obama!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,529,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
A few things:

1) 7.7% has been reached before during the recovery, and unemployment has been +/-0.2% from 7.9% for the past six or so month. It's wobbling, not falling.

2) The labor force participation rate is dropping and now at a record low of 63.5%. That means that fewer people are even in the workforce and actively looking for work, artificially lowering the unemployment rate.

3) Job growth in 2012 through now has been lower than 2010 and 2011 on a monthly basis. February seems to be an aberration. It is highly inconsistent with little sustained momentum. BLS is also constantly revising stats; look at monthly net changes in employment and you'll see that they flop around from good to bad to good to bad again. On an annual basis, it's consistently a meagre 1.5% or so, which is pretty low.

The economy isn't particularly improving under Obama, but rather being painfully slow in its recovery. And don't expect any of these policies to change that.
I agree. That's why we need George W. Bush back in the White House. The economy was humming perfectly fine in 2008....why did we ever replace Bush? Dubya is the best president the US ever had.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM

46,326 posts, read 27,162,639 times
Glad people are getting jobs.....

but.....

I thought the government had nothing to do with jobs?

I mean, thats what the left say's here all the time....the president does not make jobs,.....

Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,529,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Glad people are getting jobs.....

but.....

I thought the government had nothing to do with jobs?

I mean, thats what the left say's here all the time....the president does not make jobs,.....
Most of the job losses are government jobs.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,250,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I agree. That's why we need George W. Bush back in the White House. The economy was humming perfectly fine in 2008....why did we ever replace Bush? Dubya is the best president the US ever had.
Yeah, and he'd show that North Korea a thing or two also.<heavy>

Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Dubya nearly destroyed this country. He completely wrecked the economy and destroyed our nation's respect abroad by starting a pointless war in Iraq. Obama has saved our country and restored it to its former greatness! All hail our great, glorious leader!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,266,039 times
Default Money to Petrobras for deep water oil drilling while banning rigs from the same area Petrobras explored

Obama's threshold is set so low all he has to do is breathe and his supporters pile on the accolades.

Obama has done more to keep the economy down, jobs recovery at bay and the loss of medical insurance for far more than he pretended to help.

It is delusional to link Obama to increased job growth with no evidence of any cause and effect. Theoretical numbers and novel reference points cannot hide a failing economy and disasterous job loses especially among minorities.

I'm sure Detroit will love to hear the latest jobs news. there will be rejoicing in the streets.

How many jobs were killed by obama's EPA and misdirected 'investments' in solar energy?

Any job increase that may be real is temporary and minimum wage jobs.

Oh Barry, that's wondeful work, you are so impressive!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 AM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
I love how we have this thread going on while we also have a thread titled something like if you can't find a job blame corporations and not the government.

Seems like all the bases have been covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies